Moving advice. What to bring and what not to bring

Im making the move from Atlanta,Georgia to Panama February 16th. I need some advice from expats who have already done so as to what to bring and not to bring as well as any advice on immigration laws, becoming employed....etc!

What to bring can depend on where you will be living in Panama.  Will you be shipping items or just moving with suitcases?  Will you be renting a furnished or unfurnished apartment?  If you will be living in Panama City, you will not need to bring much at all.  You can buy almost anything in Panama City, from high end items at the Multiplaza Mall to bargains galore at the Albrook Mall.  There are PriceSmart  (Costco type) stores all over the city and even in David.  Very few DVDs in stores, so you may want to bring some favorites.  I always suggest a pair of small high powered binoculars.  What a person fills a suitcase with is usually personal necessities for the first couple of weeks.  I moved with a dog so one of my suitcases was filled with dog toys, bowls, bedding, etc.  If you read, bring an assortment of books.  People who snorkel bring their equipment.  Bring $20 bills or less.  We brought a lot of $5 and $1 bills for taxis.  The small bills go fast.  Bring pennies too.  Almost everywhere I shop, the cashier tries to get the exact change. There really is no need to ship furniture unless you have pieces you cannot live without.  There are many furniture stores and department stores that sell furniture.  The Do-It center hardware store has sales all the time.  Nice faux leather recliners are $179 and $259.  Furniture can be super cheap or very expensive here.  We can answer your question more if you tell us more about your new location in Panama.

Immigration and employment laws can be best answered by an attorney.  If you contact several Panama immigration attorneys, they will email a list of requirements for different types of visas, free of charge.  In your email, explain your situation and plans.   I contacted 2 attorneys and both sent the visa requirement information, estimated legal fees, and answered a few questions.  So many people fear contacting a law firm in Panama, but there is nothing to fear.

Some people bring a lot, others next to nothing. Look at your stuff. Can it be replaced here? What would it cost to ship vs buying new? Is it suitable for this climate and your new lifestyle? I think everyone brings stuff they end up not using or needing but it's hard to know until you've been here a while. I came down with one suitcase and even then didn't use or need it all. 
As for working, I don't know but a lot of people seem to recommend getting hired by an international company who will employ you here. Others create their own work/business, or have work they can do remotely. Panamanians naturally want to employ their own first and hire foreigners for skills they can't find within the country.
There are a number of Visa options and a lawyer can fill you in on that info.

Welcome!   

many of your questions are answered in my books: "Panama? Why Panama?" and "Postcards from Panama".  The only one I cannot relate to is your question about working here.  I do know wages are low, hours are long! Entrepreneurship is probably the best way to go and a web based business would work well.

Most folks bring way too much stuff from home - thereby increasing their cost, which is high anyway.  Bring personal items and anything you cannot live wthout. Otherwise shop in Panama City for most of your needs. If you buy a house, it is usually furnished. Rentals may not be.

Good Luck!    :cheers:

Unless sponsored by a US or Foreign Company viable employment is a pipe dream -  set enough money aside for a return ticket

Hi BPerazolli. (What a mouthful.) In regard to working in Panama, there is a new Visa just out the past few weeks, that makes it far easier for you to work in Panama. It depends on what you do, if you have a college degree, how much your profession is in demand, etc.  Some native English speakers make money teaching Panamanians (adults or children), to speak English. You could start your own business, meet a need that is not being filled. Someone opened a bakery in Ecuador because they could not find "decent bread."  Think out of the box.
Good luck,
Ruth

Hello SmartOldLady,
(Love your username!)
I would appreciate any additional info on the new  work visa you mentioned. I have two College Degrees.
Thanks.
Cheers!
Kim

Hello SmartOldLady,
(Love your username!)
I would appreciate any additional info on the new  work visa you mentioned. I have two College Degrees.
Thanks.
Cheers!
Kim

The Visa is called the Friendly Nations Visa. http://nomadcapitalist.com/2013/02/07/p … s-anymore/
I found this also. http://vivatropical.com/panama/retiring … ot-easier/  Don't worry about the word "retiring."
This is easy and fast.
Also, become acquainted with FATCA. Disgusting turn of events, but important to your financial well-being.

Hope all this help0s.

Thanks very much !

Hi All and Rick and Sally,
May I ask what area you reside? Not specific of course but round about. I ask because we have been to Boquete in 2011 and enjoyed it and the surroundings. We met people there we now keep in touch with on a regular basis. We are looking seriously to relocating to that area but not sure Boquete is for us. Did you take household goods with you? Appliances, washer, dryer, furniture, bedding and such? Any spices or herb seeds that are hard to come by there? We love to cook and found the food in eateries "ok" but nothing to write home about. The only place decent was Baru in Boquete. Is that place still there?
Thank you,
Bob

Hi All,
If you still have some questions about the quick Visa and procedures/requirements/costs, I can help you! I have experienced it myself and know what to do.

Let me know if you're interested.

Hi,
We are interested in what people ship to Panama from their home country. We live in California at this time. Sold our home 2 years ago and have some things in storage i.e. clothes washer and dryer, some furniture we'd like to keep, bedding clothes and other odds and ends. Maybe a 20' shipping container. Also would like to know about Pensionado Passport and easiest way to obtain one. We have a friend in Boquete and he has given us some advice but we'd like others ideas how to go about a passport. We do not plan on working in Panama. Retired and would like to volunteer with community service in area that we will live.
Thank you for replying to my post.
Rob Welsh

Hi Rob Welsh,

Great that you're coming to Panama! About shipping from Canada and the US I don't know a lot unfortunately, but I could help you with the Pensionado Visa. This is a visa that you can obtain easily and which gives you the opportunity to live here permanently and do volunteer work (you can keep your own passport by they way, this doesn't change) It's not difficult, but it's required by law to have a lawyer who helps you with this procedure, most of them are in Panama City. I don't know if you already informed about the requirements and costs, but some can be very expensive. I have done the visa process myself and now help expats with this procedure. I can recommend a good, trustworthy and cheap lawyer if you're interested.

If you want a great lawyer, try Marcos Kraemer. We worked with him and things went totally smoothly, and he gave us all the info we needed every step of the way. http://www.kraemerlaw.com/ He splits his time between Panama City and Chiriqui.

Hi,
Thank you all for the replies. We are traveling to Panama Sept 2015 for 3 weeks for a vacation/fact finding mission. Will do more info digging through lawyers that have been recommended through the blog.
Thank again,
Rob

Hello everyone!

Ok, I'm a Brazilian native living in the USA and planing to move in to El Cangrejo, Panama.

I'm a web developer with my own business here in the US and my finest fears are:
1-Not being able to continue working as an independent web developer
2-Does anyone knows about the web development market in Panama?

I'm part of the so called " Frindly Nations" program that allows people to apply for visas easy, I would really appreciate if any Brazilian person has gone through the immigration process and woybe kind to guide me through it.

How much would cost for an immigration application with a lower?
Do you know any lower who can charge a fair fee?

Thank you!
Josie