Can I improve my language skills using apps?

Hi guys,

In order to get an internship I need to pass the IELTS exam. I am using Cambridge books for IELTS exam, I visit the course, but I would like to do a bit more, preferably something free and online/mobile. I used to visit websites, blogs for learning English, watched some videos on Youtube and checked out some apps.

What do you think of apps helping to learn English? Can such solutions be effective?

Recently I have come across an interesting application that contains a lot of vocabulary, grammar, presents it in both an attractive and easy way.

Link here: bit.ly/AdvanceYourEnglishApp. Do you have some favourites?

Please share it with me!

Best,

Anna

Anna,

I have taught languages for a few years, speak five languages fluently plus a few more on a basic level and I am a professional translator.

I am sorry to say that none of the tapes nor any software (including apps) is any good to learn a foreign language beyond 'vacation level vocabulary and grammar'. Most of it is junk, using wrong teaching methods, including such basics as building hierarchies in grammar, basic sounds (phonics) and hierarchies in vocabularies around one context. The latter is especially important, since one needs to start thinking in Spanish only.

Get instead a live teacher who has experience in your specific field of knowledge, or get at least conversations set up with experts in your field from Spain. It will give you a much greater head start and solid base before coming her. There are many sites where one can find language exchange people who will meet you and in exchange you can provide them with your English context.

Also watch Spanish movies and news casts and listen to Spanish songs.

Software will never give you the right sounds nor any good feedback if you make mistakes. So it is a waste of time.

Good luck.

Peter