Recommended movers, EU to UK ?

hi, my wife and i are planning a move from Paris to Scotland. our paperwork is in progress and she is a UK citizen so we have good hopes that everything will proceed. given that, we are now starting to think of things like moving companies to get our stuff up to Scotland.

so, can anyone recommend a particular moving company. or, almost as useful, anyone we should avoid?

if it matters we expect to find a short-term place at first to check things out and use that time to find a long-term flat to rent. in other words our stuff will need to be in storage for a while, probably 2-3 months.

any advice would be welcome. :)

Hello twofour,

Welcome to Expat-Blog..:)

If you are looking for a moving company, I can recommend you to have a look at the page Moving to Scotland.

I hope it might help.

Thank you
Yuveshen

hi, yes, we're going through the process of getting quotes now. what i had hoped though was for people's personal recommendations, or warnings, regarding specific movers.

the companies we're currently considering are Lopa and SLS. anyone have comments on these?

there are other quotes still coming in so it's very much a work-in-progress.

in case anyone else is going through this process or thinking of doing so i would STRONGLY recommend getting a number of companies to give you their estimates. so far the quotes we've seen vary by 50% or more and some companies simply don't offer things we're looking for -- temporary storage for example -- so it really pays to shop around.

Hello twofour,

You can contact our partners, professionals about moving to Scotland and have necessary infos and procedures from them.

Thank you,
Marjorie

yes, that's what i've done. three (four?) companies replied and those discussions are ongoing. again though, it was the personal experiences that i wanted to hear about. still looking for that.

Bon jour twofour,

While you are waiting for recommendations and struggling with the quotes.

I'd research Scottish movers specialized on France. As they might have idle capacity on one end or the other.

The bigger the mover - as far as network - the better the quality. Yet the price tag will be higher as well.

Askin a mover with offices in Paris and Scotland makes a good sense also.

Unfortunately, anyvan.com (UK only?) or upakweship (more overseas oriented?) can't help - I guess.

If you get stuck/desperate just PM me.

Cheers,

Dez

We ended up going with Lopa. They were very responsive, were patient with our many questions (some of which were  none too bright I'm afraid) and seemed able to accommodate our specific requests. They weren't the cheapest but that's hardly the point, IMO. I'd rather have a happy move at a middling price than a frustrating one for cheap. They'll be here in a few weeks to help us close one chapter of our lives and begin another.   :proud