Anybody living in Vilcabamba or Loja?

MrNatural7 wrote:

I am 67 and a Global Agro-Ecology/Permaculture Consultant who's passion is education, food security/sovereignty, community health, designing and building self sustaining communities, ecology, environment, care for the planet, people, organic farming etc,

Im presently working and living in Dominican Republic but am planning my move to Ecuador. I don't know where but will be touring around area around Loja, or Quayaguil or ? seems possibilities. I would consider living and working with any, person,group, organization, community, one that has land they want to develop to be self sustaining and or profitable, organic gardens etc. agro-forestry,construction grade bamboo, flowers,fruits, herbs, spices, medicinal plants and has a budget to do so. And who also has a decent private accommodation available for me to live and be close to my work.

I have lots of good tools for garden, farm work, construction, wood, cement, stone work etc. I teach lecture do workshops etc on all these subject including what every man woman and child should know the truth about Food, Healthy,Nutritious,Medicine,Disease (cancers/diabetes)and Longevity.

I have had several meetings with the Embassy here who is giving me a letter of introduction. I will be in Quito for a short time few days to meet with Ministry of Agriculture, Agriculture Universities and Professors, and the Mayors of some cites, Loja, Quayaguil among my interests.

Whether I achieve my goals with the government or not remains to be seen. But one approach is I am hoping to get land from the government to set up an Agro-Ecology Research Institute, Demonstration, Educational Center & Extension Services.Agro-Eco-Tourism Project where people can come to visit and learn about sustainable organic agriculture.

Positive Comments, Ideas, suggestions are welcome, negative un productive comments are not. I dont need comments on what you think, I think for myself, or what I can do or cant because of government politics etc. I am not looking for opinions, especially uneducated ones, that aren't supported by any researched, knowledgeable, empirical data.

Hey Bob K and you other DR people, you're not going to let this "gem" escape your island are you?  I suggest you start a bidding war for his services.  Certainly he is worth more than any sports figures who take bids in the multimillion dollar range.  Good luck

I think your post about Vilcabamba being a "new age town" is quite narrow. Vilcabamba is interesting because it can't be stereotyped. Yes, there are New Agers - but there are also retirees, artists, conservatives, liberals, and people from a host of countries. I had lived overseas before. and I chose Vilcabamba because it is not a "little America." I have friends from France, the Netherlands, the UK, Germany, Canada, Italy and the US here. For those wanting a very tranquil place to live with a wonderful climate, it is a great place to choose.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, there are only international schools in Quito and Guayaquil.

Parents seeking an international school in Cuenca may visit the website of the CEDEI school:  cedei.org/en

This post is for Susan F.

Sadly I don't quite know how to reach you to ask questions.  The other day I just found out that if I click on your photo, your story is visible, and printed out all your recent blogs because they answered my questions.  I have more questions but will have to study how to reach you.  At the moment am like the proverbial chicken with the head cut off, in my last week of renovation prior to putting the house on the market (sign is already out front and the whip is cracking).  So when I get time I would really like to 'talk' with you more, if possible.  It sounds like you may have found the perfect location, i.e. living with local folks but with accessibility to a town.  Loja province is still my area of interest, and after researching the focus is still on Malacatos, Loja, or possibly outside Vilcabamba.    The only other idea I have floated to myself is Giron, in the Yungilla Valley, with accessibility to Cuenca.  This one may not fly, no idea.

Cheers for now and many thanks for your replies.

Helen Pivoine

Hi Helen,

Here is my email address: [email protected]

I'll try ti help you in any way that I can.

Be well!

Hi Susan F.

Muchas gracias para tu respuesta.

Now that I have your email, I will "talk" with you, as soon as this wretched house gets on the market.   As I am sure many of us have done, renovating a North American house provokes a wish for the simpler life...  but still bringing my clay tchatchakas if possible.
Helen Pivoine

I completely understand what you're going through. After I decided to move to Ecuador, I spent a solid month doing nothing but fixing up my house. In the process, I found some issues that my contractor had caused, and I came to think that having bamboo shoot placed under my fingernails would have been less painful. However, when I did get it on the market, it sold immediately and with backup contracts. Stay positive!!

As far as life being simpler in Ecuador, in some ways it is - and in some ways it isn't. There is definitely a learning curve to deal with when you arrive!! But, so far, it's been worth it for me.

I know exactly how you feel about your tchotchkes. Many people leave those kinds of things behind, but as I had lived abroad previously, I knew how important having my home made up to be the sanctuary it had to be. I also know that there will likely not be space for them all, but at least I will have given it a shot!

Please let me know any way that I can help you on your journey!

Hi Susan F.,

I am looking forward to the day when, if you want to, we can talk in person on Ecuadorian soil.  I plan on a preliminary trip to suss things out - must be fairly short due to my cat being home and anxious to get outside, spring is coming.  I did the renos over 2.5 years, ever since I bought this house (it was a mistake).  Hopefully somewhat wiser now.

Cheers,
Helen Pivoine

Funny but I have heard that Vilcabamba is "New Age" also.  My friend who has lived there for 5 years thinks that as well.  Is there a Christian English speaking church there?  FYI: new age is all about improvement of self physically, mentally, and spiritually above all else.  Every thing I read and all the videos I see (ie... Matt Monarch, etc) do seem to be rather new age.

Yes, I know what a "New Ager" is. While I don't fall into that stereotype, I have lots of friends in both the US and here who do. There are also lots of other people who do not fall into the stereotype, the majority of which are North American retirees.

Ecuador is a conservative country and the majority of people are Roman Catholic.

My husband and I are currently living in the United Sates(Arizona) and are born again believers whose desire it is to serve the Lord and live somewhere besides the United States. I know a gentleman who lives in Valcabamba, Ecuador but is not a Christian. However he and his wife and now child live there on several acres of land and live off the land and have a business that operates from there and also California. They hold raw food retreats twice a year  and he has told us how beautiful it is and how they love it there and is a god place for raising a family. It looks beautiful and is know for it's longevity and growing region. It is important to have others for fellowship and worship and also a friendly people nation to be able to share the gospel with. Also a place that is safe and out of the cities, etc.

I have met Met Matt Monarch and he is a great guy. He is not a believer (yet!) but because of his lifestyle etc is open to all things spiritual. I at one time was very involved in New age philosophy and religion but the Lord rescued me from myself. However I am also very interested in health, etc.

Hello. I, and my family, are Americans who have been living in Loja Ecuador for about a year. Vilcabamba is just a short distance from Loja. We are Christians, have been attending church and a home group for most of the year. I would love to answer any questions you have. For extended conversations it may be easier to email me directly. Whatever you choose.
Ds5parsons(at) gmail.com
Peace

Lightbearer wrote:

I at one time was very involved in New age philosophy and religion but the Lord rescued me from myself.

It is well-known that followers of New Age thinking are drawn to Vilcabamba, although they are a minority. 

The above poster marginalizes New Age thought by claiming she had to be "rescued" by a higher power.

--

The New Age movement is a spiritual movement that developed in the West in the 1970's although its roots go back much further.  It incorporates strands from metaphysics, self-help, psychology and Indian traditions, namely Hinduism, Buddhism and yoga.

Its central precepts draw from Eastern and Western traditions infused with self-help and motivational psychology.

Source:  Wikipedia

cccmedia in Quito

It sounds like a good opportunity for an online debate. However, one I won't get in to. At least not in this arena.
Vilcabamba is a very interesting place, most in the surrounding hills, where you can find all types of religions, nonreligions, drugs, communal living etc etc and people from all over the world. It a great place to visit, eat good food and spend a beautiful day. I do not want to live there, primarily because there are many English speakers and I prefer to live in a Spanish speaking area. Otherwise I will not learn Spanish. Another town, just 5 miles away is Malacatos. I lived there for a few months and loved it. Very few English speakers and really nice people.

As always, I caution people to visit first, before making too many decisions.
I have a blog site that is just pics of our time here. Nothing special. Just for my family in the states to see. Anyone who wants to see the pics, email me and I'll give the address.
Ds5parsons(at)gmail.com

Lightbearer wrote:

I have met Matt Monarch and he is a great guy. He is not a believer (but) is open to all things spiritual.

Readers may have noticed that expat Matt Monarch's name has been appearing multiple times on this thread in recent weeks.

Matt is a healthy-nutrition advocate, businessman and Internet webcaster living in Vilcabamba.

You may wish to visit the new Expat.com Ecuador thread titled Vilcabamba's Matt Monarch Teaches Anti-Cancer Nutrition, at the following link:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 10#2527869

cccmedia in Quito

Lightbearer wrote:

he has told us how beautiful it is and how they love it there and is a god place for raising a family.

You really should spell God with an upper case G
Some are offended otherwise.

Tolerance of others in their views of the divine is often a helpful thing.

To Joseph K.  Great descriptions of both places glad you live in Lajo that is where I want to spend 5 months start in December Would like to hear from you [email protected]. How did you find a place to live have you been there long

Sally

Trying to send email to Dave Parsons and family would likely to know about the church they attend

[email protected]

Sally Ewing

Sally Ewing wrote:

Trying to send email to Dave Parsons and family, would likely to know about the church they attend.

Dave posted his email address in Report 176 on this thread, above.

You can also send him an Expat.com personal message by clicking on his name above his avatar photo at that Report, and then click on Send a Message.

cccmedia in Quito

I am looking to move to Ecuador in late August of this year(2015). Initially Vilcabamba was definitely where I wanted to be. Then it seemed too much like the expats thought it was their city, I like you don't mince my words. I want to live in Ecuador and learn their ways and traditions. I do not speak Spanish but with all the tools available to help I believe I can wing it at first. My second choice was Loja, mainly for the music and fewer expats. I hope to volunteer at an orphanage or a place where there are children. I was hoping for a 2-3 bedroom house to rent in a safe neighborhood with a yard for a small vegetable garden and room for a dog. I will most likely live alone but want enough room for my children and grandchildren (4). My eldest daughter is 42 and youngest daughter is 18 and starting college. I also have a number of friends who would love to visit, My only concern was the weather in the evening. but I think I can deal with it.
I am planning to go and stay instead of visiting first. I may be asking odd questions so if it gets too much for you please let me know. my email is [email protected]
What are the essential items I need to bring? Besides beds is furnished a good idea or are there gently used furniture stores? How long have you lived in Loja and do you speak Spanish? Hope to hear from you .
Cathie

cschoony wrote:

What are the essential items I need to bring? Besides beds is furnished a good idea or are there gently used furniture stores?

Essentials:  bring three months worth of medicines and any items you suspect may be difficult to replace in Ecuador.  Flents Ear Stopples and some CD's were among my items.

"Is furnished a good idea?"  Probably an excellent idea.  You don't want to spend money on good furniture, major appliances and electronics (all not cheap in EC) only to find that the high altitude doesn't agree with you or that you'd prefer to live in a different city.

Loja is at lower altitude than some other Expat-favored cities, but is still higher than the mile-high city of Denver.

Ecuadorians are masterful at repairing, recycling and in-family sharing of anything of value.  The next gently-used-furniture store I encounter will be my first.

cccmedia in Quito

Postscript:  I realize there's another product I'm glad I brought with me to Ecuador:  large, soft bath-towels. :)   Can't find 'em in Quito anywhere.

P.P.S. (May 2015):  Feather dusters.

What about Cotacachi?

smithbern wrote:

What about Cotacachi?

It's a long way from Loja and Vilca, the cities relevant to this thread.

Please post your specific questions about Cotacachi on the existing "Hoping to Move to Cotacachi..." thread.

To get there, type the thread name into the search-rectangle at the top of this page, and click on the search-icon.

My wife and I will be coming for a visit in may 2015 and hoping to move there shortly for our last move. Any insight would be nice. How to find a apartment or house to rent where to stay when we visit. We plan to stay about a week in may and then move as soon as we can liquidate everything. Hopefully 2 months and move in july or august.

Dennis Graves

[ Moderated by Priscilla : Please do not leave your phone number on a public forum for security reasons ]

Dennis,

Before setting up a schedule to move, I highly suggest you do a lot of homework regarding the paperwork necessary to move to Ecuador. The two visas most expats get are the retirement visa and the investment visa (requiring a minimal $25,000 purchase of either a home or business). Background checks can take a long time as can other documentation. It's a lot of work - but it is definitely worth the effort.

Cathie,

I understand your attitude regarding moving to a place where it seems too many expats exist. However, I chose and have moved to a wonderful barrio (neighborhood) about 10 minutes from the Vilcabamba town center. I know 3 or 4 expats - but spend most of the time with my Ecuadorian friends and neighbors. It is possible to have the beauty and tranquility of Vilcabamba without being an expat who lives like someone who never left their homeland.

I have some friends who had been looking for a good deal on an apartment in Loja since November. Good rentals are hard to find there but can be had. They finally found one for about $750/mo. Housing is much easier to find in Vilca - and generally more affordable. I know of a nice 2/1 right now for $300/mo. Also, you are more apt to find fenced yards with area to grow your own food in Vilcabamba.

Loja definitely has the shopping and the symphony - but Vilca has the charm and the tranquility. the choice is yours!

I do speak Spanish as I grew up on the US-Mexican border. Be aware that English is not commonly spoke in Ecuador as it is in Mexico. "Winging it" on Spanish might not be the wisest choice. Start studying now! All documents and signs are in Spanish. Everything is in Spanish.

The best bets on used items are when expats come and go. Other than that, "used" doesn't exist very often.

I can second ccmedia on the meds - although I have found a lot of equivalent items here to replace my Western meds. I also suggest you bring any small electronics as the prices here are really high - bring a phone, laptop, tablet - whatever electronic you think you will need. Other items people often bring are sheets and cookware.

Good luck!

Susan F. wrote:

Dennis,

Before setting up a schedule to move, I highly suggest you do a lot of homework regarding the paperwork necessary to move to Ecuador. The two visas most expats get are the retirement visa and the investment visa (requiring a minimal $25,000 purchase of either a home or business). Background checks can take a long time as can other documentation. It's a lot of work - but it is definitely worth the effort.

Use a good channeler I used Telos, had my FBI back ground back in 7 days which includes mail time.  The longest part was the Apostille from the Secretary of State in DC and that was 19 days including mailing.  I had all my paperwork done in just under a month.  So since I just (last week) did all the paperwork I would be glad to guide you.  Did it myself by I do have a law degree so I think it was simple for me.  Write if you need guidance  [email protected] also [email protected] was also lots of help.  Val

Kindheart, that is very impressive!

Also, Dennis, be aware that when you apply, the rules change all of the time. You must keep up with the changes, and that means staying aware of the blogs and forums if you are doing the process solo. This is because there are few government sites that actually have current and correct information regarding the process. For example, prior to mid-December, only some people required FBI background checks - now everyone requires one as well as their State background check. Divorce documents and birth certificates must also be provided with apostille. Also, be aware that if you apply for your visa while you are in Ecuador, the Cuenca office is generally considered the toughest place with which to deal. With that said, however, each case varies. As well, when applying in Cuenca, you must give a Cuenca address. That sounds weird, right? Well, that's how things roll in EC.

Susan F. wrote:

The two visas most expats get are the retirement visa and the investment visa (requiring a minimal $25,000 purchase....)

By "retirement visa," Susan is referring to a pensioner residency-visa.  As a couple, you would qualify with $900+ per month in reliable income such as Social Security, company pension or an annuity.  But not rental income.

The investment visa at the 25K level is for a bank CD or real estate.  In your case, the CD makes more sense because it doesn't involve property transactions that could delay the submission of your residency-visa application.  If you later buy property, you could then convert your visa to real estate-based, and cash out your CD if desired.

cccmedia in Quito

Susan F. wrote:

Cathie,

I understand your attitude regarding moving to a place where it seems too many expats exist. However, I chose and have moved to a wonderful barrio (neighborhood) about 10 minutes from the Vilcabamba town center. I know 3 or 4 expats - but spend most of the time with my Ecuadorian friends and neighbors. It is possible to have the beauty and tranquility of Vilcabamba without being an expat who lives like someone who never left their homeland.

I have some friends who had been looking for a good deal on an apartment in Loja since November. Good rentals are hard to find there but can be had. They finally found one for about $750/mo. Housing is much easier to find in Vilca - and generally more affordable. I know of a nice 2/1 right now for $300/mo. Also, you are more apt to find fenced yards with area to grow your own food in Vilcabamba.

Loja definitely has the shopping and the symphony - but Vilca has the charm and the tranquility. the choice is yours!

I do speak Spanish as I grew up on the US-Mexican border. Be aware that English is not commonly spoke in Ecuador as it is in Mexico. "Winging it" on Spanish might not be the wisest choice. Start studying now! All documents and signs are in Spanish. Everything is in Spanish.

The best bets on used items are when expats come and go. Other than that, "used" doesn't exist very often.

I can second ccmedia on the meds - although I have found a lot of equivalent items here to replace my Western meds. I also suggest you bring any small electronics as the prices here are really high - bring a phone, laptop, tablet - whatever electronic you think you will need. Other items people often bring are sheets and cookware.

Good luck!

This is an outstanding post.  Excellent advice top to bottom.

Superior job, Susan. :top:

cccmedia in Quito

I hope to be in Ecuador by the end of October 2015. I am only going once and I too want to live in a village, closer to a larger town or city. I want a warmer climate otherwise Loja would be perfect. I want to rent a house that is 2-3 bedrooms, preferably 3. Of course I want the lowest price possible. I don't know about furnished homes, I would want new beds. What are your thoughts? As an older woman, knowing no one or speaking the language I do have some concerns. I am looking long term. Do you have time to brain-storm with me? Anyone else is welcomed to join in.
Thank you.
cschoony

It is excellent and I thank you! I thought that used would be moving expats. I sure have a lot of thinking, and researching to do.
Cathie

Buenos dias:

Some stuff about my experience:  I've been in South America about 7 years in total , Chile and Argentina before.   I have lived in Quito four years  ( I love Quito) and am living now for past 4 months in Cuenca in the Southern Andes
( far less noise and walkable) I wanted to try smaller and nearer to outdoor activities and LOTS of fun cultural activities to do as QUito has -- Cuenca is almostalmost 2 million people smaller than Quito)   Both cities are special and lovely--- and they are perfectly "safe" under normal day- in - and -day- out circumstances-- for single older women -- IF you are an experienced traveler ( You may be a beginning traveler --  is this your first trip out of your country?   Makes a difference to those interested in trying to give you reliable advice) --

Los Andes are high mountains and neither city is warm only for brief spells (more like cool/cold Spring with lots of rain in the rainy season and very chilly at night in both cities)  If you want warm/warm, you may want Vilcabamba, Malacatos or the COast region -- really warm as we are on the equator.  It may help to know I am also a soltera. (single woman)   

Here are a few tips for you:

1.  Go to your local high school or community college and LEARN  some Spanish.  Learning the language is important for you here. #1 It gives you additional confidence in another kind of world/ culture that mainly speaks Spanish.  2. It is ever so much less frustrating for you. ( and others around you)  Start slow -- no one is a genius in the beginning -- you can also find a Lonely Planet (just one guide) Phrase book to study. which is  very handy even now for me when traveling. 

2.  Get a travel guide and read about Ecuador.  I recommend Moon GUides and Lonely Planet Ecuador books. YOur public library or travel bookstore has many choices.  Look at a physical map or a globe and on the internet -- do you have the net? -- and read up on the country every chance you get.  When you arrive in October you have been backgrounded !  THis is the preparation most people do before going anywhere new.   Ecuador is NOT the U.S. and it isn't Colombia or Costa Rica -- or anywhere else  so if you have not been here, you need education about this country.  .

Let us all here on this blog  know more specifics  -- remember,  everything you want is usually never possible in any move but to another country, it may not work your way much of the time depending on circumstances -- so it is recommended you have a really flexible mind  and also keep an open mind to changes and circumstances..  Also a PhD in patience helps, just kidding!   Lot sof patience helps tremendously here or anywhere. Because Ecuador is a developing country, we are living with some things that are challenging to live with sometimes.  Asi es la vida (that is life)  here in Ecuador.   I recommend you come and see what you think about the country.  THat is most important to you.

Hope this helps! 
Buena suerte (good luck)
Sue

Cschoony,

I am a single woman, and I moved to Ecuador by myself several months ago.  With that said, I had over ten years experience living abroad before I moved here, and had traveled in Latin America for over half of my life.

I live in a area about ten minutes outside of VIlcabamba. My Ecuadorian  neighbors are very kind and friendly, and I love it when they come over and we just sit on the porch and chat. They have helped me with things like learning the local bus schedule, how to pay my water bill and with getting local workers, whom they know are honest and reliable, to work for me.. Life where I am in really, really good. However, I do not know a single person here who speaks English or anything even close to English. The outlying areas of towns are called "barrios" which means "neighborhoods" in English. Each barrio had it's own president and water system, and many of the residents are related. So, when you say you want to live in village, you must be able to speak Spanish

My suggestion, if you want to be near Loja, would be to try Malacatos. It is a little bit bigger than Vilcabamba, has much fewer expats and has a much better market, However, you must understand that southern Ecuador is nothing like Cuenca and Quito. There are much fewer expats in this part of Ecuador and ENglish is seldom spoken by even professionals. I highly suggest you study Spanish and try to be on a survival level before you arrive (a survival level would be to learn enough simple phrases and vocabulary to be able to get your basic needs met).

A house in this area can rent from $250-$800. Some apartments are furnished and others are not. You will simply be looking at the luck of the draw.

Good luck!

Free español lessons were recently posted at the recent Expat.com Ecuador thread  Shortcuts to Learning español.  That thread is for serious beginning learners and intermediates.

The fun thread español for Gringos, No Heavy Lifting has some easy-to-digest suggestions and commentary too.

Type the name of either thread into the Expat.com box at the top of this page, and then click on the search icon to the right, to navigate to the thread.

cccmedia in Quito

Hi Susan F. and folks,

Still waiting for my house to sell and will buy an airplane kitty carrier soon...
Susan, you continue to educate me and others with your direct info re:  Malacatos, Vilcabamba and Loja.  Many thanks.

HelenPivoine

Morgie,

I am from Ocala Fl. and have studied Ecuador over the last few years with the intent of moving to Loja or Cuenca
In the very near future.My wife is from Guayaquil Ecuador which is on the coast(not my kind of place) for many reasons.We are leaning towards Loja for many different reasons although Cuenca is also a very nice city.You can't lose with either of these cities. I would be more than happy to share my thoughts of Loja and Cuenca with you. Most of the reasons for our choosing one of these two cities are exactly the same as yours.I am also Catholic as is 95% of Ecuador. I love your attitude toward learning Spanish .There is so much more that I would like to share with you.Please feel free to contact me at any time.May the good Lord guide you in pursuit of a dream.

David
[email protected]