Want to resign,need suggestions..

Hi,

I am working as a Design  engineer in  Muscat since 2.8 years. I have got a better job in Qatar. Due to that resin , I resigned my job . I have given my resignation on  Nov - 2014 in hand as hard copy to my Department Manager. But i was not relieved from the Organization even after serving the notice period of 30 days. Required steps are not taken till date and my relieving process is pending for the last 4 months.

I had sent email to my Department Manager regarding this . Now my Department head came to know about my new offer in Qatar.

Now he putting me under pressure and not giving exact date for releasing or final exit. Therefore Whenever I am asking about my final date of detachment/departure they are not giving clear picture and just rolling around playing dirty, threatening .

Today my Department head told to me that we can't relive you now & we going to take legal action  (court case ). What I don't understand is that what case can he file against me? Also, if I want to leave and join a new company, how can I make this company cancel my visa?

How can I legally approach.

please advice.

My friend,
Go to the Labor Bureau and show them the first resign letter and attached it to your claim.

Good luck.

I agree to what MAZ has stated.

You're advised to prepare a file, consisting all your resignation related emails / follow ups and the official resignation letter.   Once done, consult legally and file a case against your organization.
Oman law doesn't allow resignation period more than 30 days unless mutually agreed between employer and employee.

I would suggest you to file the case before they do a dirty action against you.

Hi Ramamurthy,

Resigning from your job is not a crime. And your employer cannot file any case against you for that - if all is well. Meaning, there are no gaps from your side, like not meeting the deliverables, falling short on what was promised, etc. Even if there are any then they must be on record and official. Verbal agreements are invalid of course.

Sometimes employers threaten their employees with dire consequences just to intimidate them into accepting their decisions. More often than not they also get away with it. This is largely because of the ignorance on the part of the employees on what their rights and privileges are while living in a foreign country.

If you feel that you have not done anything wrong, confront your employer directly and categorically state that you will approach the Indian Embassy and will officially file a case of cheating and intimidation against them. This would knock some sense into your employer's head. They would not want to get their name messed up with the any Embassy / official establishments.

You should actually approach the embassy and seek their guidance on how to deal with your employer. The embassy officials have been trained to handle cases like yours and play arbitrators for its citizens.

With the Indian embassy's assistance you can also file a formal complaint against your employer with the Ministry of Manpower - and then the case becomes even more complicated and much more serious - for your employer.

But to do all this you must produce all relevant documents and papers for verification. It will take time and some running around. But at the end of it it would all be worth it for you, as your employer would be the one to get pulled up for their transgressions.

Good luck.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your advice and guidance,

Now a time i am fully confused and so depressed , Now my mind is not working ......I don't  know ....what to do...where to go...

Should i approach Indian embassy or directly  to the ministry of manpower.... and  please let me know the procedure...

go to the labor court u will get what u want don't worry. embassy is secondary option n I advise u to go to labor court. u will see the results on ur behalf.

dont worry god is great keep all papers ready and   give me miss call

[Moderated: no phone number allow on the thread please]

I will send nice good lawyer u can take his help ...

I am almost finishing my 2 year work contract this December in Sohar and I am looking forward for new job elsewhere here in Oman. What is the law regarding expats finishing contract and wanting to get job anew same here Oman? I really would like to return here and get a new job but I do not know if I could still come back even after my term, or am I banned for 2 years for me to be able to return to Oman?.... Pls advise. Thank you.

Hi nelcer67,

The forum contains enough and more information on your very same query.

So please help yourself to the information available there.

Hey sir, my name is vinod. I am worked transporting company my position is accountant. 1 mar 2017  am joinede then       
1 oct 2017 I am resigned that time effective date same I put it. Now 42 days finish he don't replay. I am still waiting No salary,food and accomodation how can I will stay. Many time I am contacted email and phone he told to me investigation under prossessing what can doo.my resignation letter already approved. please help me.

Hi Vinodjose,

Please read all the posts above yours.

The answers you are seeking are there.

Hi,

I am working in Oman from the past 2 years. Omani labor laws require notice period to be of 30 days or as agreed in contract. But in my employment contract it's mention that the notice period will be of 3 months. Now I ask my company to change the term on renewal of contract but they are not agreeing.

The problem is I have better opportunities available outside Oman but due to notice period of 3 months, I find myself helpless. As prospective employer can not wait for 3 months.

Any suggestions? What can I do to decrease this notice period to 1 month?

Sahib44 wrote:

Hi,

I am working in Oman from the past 2 years. Omani labor laws require notice period to be of 30 days or as agreed in contract. But in my employment contract it's mention that the notice period will be of 3 months. Now I ask my company to change the term on renewal of contract but they are not agreeing.

The problem is I have better opportunities available outside Oman but due to notice period of 3 months, I find myself helpless. As prospective employer can not wait for 3 months.

Any suggestions? What can I do to decrease this notice period to 1 month?

The notice period is defined by law as 30 days, however if the employment contract states it to be 3 months, the employee has to abide by the same as it has been signed. There is nothing you can do about it. Legally, the contract is an agreement between employee and the employer and supersede anything else.
All you can do is to negotiate with the other employer and act accordingly.

Hi, Hw r u everyone. Just two months before i came from India as a civil engineer. Now am in quriyat. My company provide nothing to me even am staying with labours now. Even No transportation in my company. I went site daily by walk more than 5 kms. If i ask my properiator he doesn't respond me properly. Kindly suggests me anyone what i do next

what is your job destination in the visa / resident card that you have? is there any proper job offer before?

Farookmmf4 wrote:

Hi, Hw r u everyone. Just two months before i came from India as a civil engineer. Now am in quriyat. My company provide nothing to me even am staying with labours now. Even No transportation in my company. I went site daily by walk more than 5 kms. If i ask my properiator he doesn't respond me properly. Kindly suggests me anyone what i do next

Hi Farookmmf4,

What next ? Please call up the Indian Embassy Hotline and COMPLAIN.

If you keep quiet, only you will suffer. The sooner you complain, the sooner you can hope to find some solution.

Hi sir,
If i complaint against my employer, after any problem to me in future. And
Now i want to resign my job.
I will send my resignation letter to him if he reject what i do.? He is holding my passport also.

Hi sir,
In my visa no job designation is mentioned.
But  employment visa for me. Further information to all once i was asked to my employer "pls provide separate accommodation to me bcoz stay with labours is not good for engineers". But he replied no bcoz this one is too small company so we can't provide. So pls help me

The way Engineers are being abused there in the small SMEs out there, I really feel pity for it.

Know your worth (If you're really an Engineer). Get in contact with the Indian Embassy. Explain the situation and get rid of this idiot. Check your labour card pertaining to your designation. I doubt if they have given you a status of a labour worker. Legally, none can stop you to leave the job or resign (If you're intended to do so).

Many similar cases have been discussed on this forum. Search the other posts too.

Hi Farookmmf4,

Frankly, your present job looks like a dead-end job.

What does your employment contract say about your accommodation and living standards ? Is it as per what has been agreed between you and your employer ?

If not, request your employer to give you a NOC and try to seek another job.

Either way, your employer is entirely at fault.

You have done nothing wrong, except to go and join him.

So now, you have every right to ask your employer for the NOC which would enable you to find another job there.

Insist that your employer must give you the NOC since he is not able to meet even the basic requirements of your employment.

Sooner or later, such small businesses would have issues paying salaries on time too. So prepare yourself to face such challenges. And get ready to move on, before things get even worse.

Hi sir,
In my offer letter they mentioned like
Accommodation, transportation and food - provided by company.
Before i came here they told me to revise the salary but after i came here they told ur salary is fixed one.
My current salary is 150 R.O.
My WhatsApp no. +918870795060
Pls contact me in WhatsApp sir.

so sorry to hear what happened to you. Didn't mean to make a stereotype, but your salary doesn't look like an engineer salary. Your job designation was written in your resident card, not visa stamp.
my suggestions; gathered your evidence (email conversation, paperwork, your resident card copy) and go to your employer and discussed. If not resolved, better to go to the embassy.

Hi Farookmmf4,

It is not worthwhile for you to be employed under such extreme conditions, including the salary.

Go to the Indian Embassy and report your employer without further delay.

My doubt is My employer is an omani, so any problem for that
And his profession is IT, currently working in bahavan. He also do construction.
Online complaint is suitable...

Hi Farookmmf4,

You are being mistreated.

But you are worried about your employer.

First, think about yourself.

Get your priorities right.

Hi sir,
OK
Online complaint is suitable r must to go to an embassy.
Clear me sir.
I was post my number. If u can contact me in WhatsApp pls

@Farookmmf4!

I'm sorry to say but you fall into that category of people because of whom the other professionals are suffering currently.

Without analyzing your worth and education (I really doubt about your degree at the moment), you accepted an offer that doesn't even suit a casual housemaid. Instead of your own self, you're worried about your Omani employer. This is exactly why these guys treat a specific Indian community in a horrible way.

Anyways, As Mr Sumitran has stated, get your priorities first, at least being a human. If you're too afraid of your employer and reluctant to lodge a complaint to the ministry of manpower, visit the Indian embassy and seek their help (All of the people there are your fellow countrymen).

Know your rights and act like a man, please.

@schaz,

Before i can't accept this salary but they told me first u come here after that v will revise ur salary based on ur performance.  so i trust him after saying like this but here totally reverse. OK soon i will go to an embassy.

Yesterday also i had some problem in site with foreman, I informed my employer but he didn't response me till now.

Thank you

Hi sumitran sir,
One more clearance i need

My employer spent only visa and ticket cost to bring me here.

After nothing he provided me,  u all know that. Before i mentioned regarding this.

If i submit resignation.

will they ask me to refund the visa cost?

Bcoz my salary is only 150 R.O. u all know this

Hi Farookmmf4,

If your employer asks you for any money say point blank that you do not have any.

Also, tell your employer that he knows how much he has been paying you and whatever little you had with you, you have already sent it home.

Be bold and tell your employer / sponsor that if he does not let you go immediately, you will complain to the Ministry of Manpower and to the Indian Embassy - for employee abuse.

Hi sir,

Today i talk with my employer
He told if u want to go u will refund 500r.o to me after that i will give ur passport.

He also told v can't arrange transportation, and room for u. If u want take u separate outside but v can't pay for that.
And said ur salary is 150 enough v can't pay u more.

If i ask more he told me ur work is bad and v r not satisfied with ur work like this he said.

Kindly reply me soon

Now what i do Sir.

Hi ,

Any rules to be here in Oman , if employee want to terminate work before the period ,
Employees to repay the visa cost to employe

Hi Farookmmf4,

Go to the Indian Embassy and complain about your employer and the treatment you are getting.

Do it immediately.

Respected Sir
I am working for 7 months in Oman with one of the company
My contract is 2 years
Now I have to resign and go back to my country India
Please advice me do I need to pay any visa /medical /labor card expenses to company.
Who will give ticket to return to my home.

Hi Qarnalam123,

As per the labour laws, you do not have to pay anything to your employer, except to give them a month's notice period.

But usually, the employer / sponsor would try to recover the costs invested on you by asking you to reimburse them. Try and work out a compromise.

Thanks for your given enquiry
Please advise what compromise should be done if they asked for reimbursement.
And please tell me how much they can ask in Omani riyal

Please advise that who will give ticket to go back to India.

Thanks for your given enquiry
Please advise what compromise should be done if they asked for reimbursement.
And please tell me how much they can ask in Omani riyal

Please advise that who will give ticket to go back to India.

Hi Qarnalam123,

Since the choice to end your contract is yours, and since you have not been terminated, the employer would expect that they be compensated - even though it is not legal.

Also, in case of any expatriate employee;s termination, the company must provide the employee with the return air ticket.

But since you have not been terminated, you must see what your contract says.

There are a few options available in this case :

(1) Go back to your employment contract and see what the rules say regarding your terms of exit. That needs to be followed.

(2) Let your employer / sponsor quote the price and then you negotiate with them for a mutually agreeable discount that is fair to both the parties.

(3) Seek the help of the Indian Embassy officials. Explain to them the situation and let them advise you accordingly on the best course of action.

My contract 2 years and I Finnish one year I want to resign should I need to pay any amount of money

Hi manswab,

Please read the numerous other discussions on the same topic right here and you will find your answer.