Visa expiration ?

I came on tourist visa and it's expiring very soon. What happens if my visa expires and i don't leave Mauritius? Is there a  fee or jail time?

hi there

Well you will be illegal and be sent back with a red stamp on your passport.

What you could do is try to extend your tourist visa....if you have not already done so. This part should be simple.

What are you into here ? I mean are you working ? you starting a business ?

You can email me on *** or skype ***

kind regards

Sorry, there are no red stamps on Passport in Mauritius.  If you don't have the precise information, please do not give advice.  This has an impact on people's life !

If you haven't exceeded the maximum limit of 180 days a year, then ask for an extension  (in Port Louis office).
Else, the immigration will look for you and ask you to leave. If they can't find you, they'll wait until you present yourself at the departure counter some day... they will issue a Refusal to entry which means you won't be allowed to enter the country again, unless you make a procedure to clear this.

Here's how to extend your visa:

(1)  Check number of days given at arrival
(2)  Determine how many days left (180 days for tourist visa and 120 days for business - in a year)
(3)  Determine the date you want to leave according to days left in (2) above
(4)  Buy a return ticket to match the date you want to leave
(5)  Get an accommodation letter and/or hotel booking
(6)  If accommodation letter, then have the landlord's ID Card and recent utility bills
(7)  Show your financial means (credit card, bank statement, etc.)
(8)  Bring all of this to the Immigration Office, Mezzanine Floor, Sterling House, Port Louis
(9)  Fill in the form there and submit to the officer at the Visa Extension Department

Hope this helps!
All the best.

Hi Nadeem,

I think you may well work in office immigration as you an encyclopedia of information regarding immigration and Visa extension. Well Keep it up. see you soon

Hi Riazan

Lol no. I just have more than 20 years of experience in the field and almost everyday in contact with the authorities!
I take your comment as a compliment.

And this is the right time to offer a cup of coffee...!

Regards
Nadeem

Hi Nadeem,

thanks for the full detailed information.

My pleasure !

I know when we had our elderly mother recently come from the UK to Mauritius, her passport was stamped with 60 days, when my husband questioned it he was told the new regulations say UK passports can only be stamped up to 90 days, but they usually just do 60 days and that we could extend but just 7 days before the 60 days ran out.

We went to the Immigration office 10 days before her 60 days ran out and were told to come back in 3 days when there was only 7 "legal" days left for her to be in the Country. They were very helpful and friendly, we had all the correct paperwork as detailed on their website except a letter from my husband, which had to say that he would be financially responsible for her and that she was covered by medical insurance.

They then extended her stay for a further 120 days making a total of 180 days.

Can you imagine your mother in law staying with you for 6 months ;) And she loved Mauritius so much she wants to come back but when there is no snow !!!

That's wonderful. Yes the officers at the Immigration are very helpful...until you try to fool them!

Hi there!

My visa is expiring soon.. I think on tursday. Is there a a way I can extend and where? And do they have a few am supposed to pay?thanks in advance!

With best regards,
Nasra

Visa extension is free of charge. You should go to Sterling house,  Port Louis. Else refer to post #4 above where you'll find answer to your question.

hello dear

You can extend your visas by giving valid reason for your stay ,if possible a friend recomendations and money to spend.

regards
rishi

Mambo Vipi Nasra,

All you have to do is

1 get a flight booking with new return date or extend your ticket
2 get poof if accommodation,  you can go with rental agreement  and original bills of water or electricity or telephone
3 proof of funds to continue staying, a bank statement from Kenya or here, or a letter of your host (you can go with them)
4. Take all original documents to Immigration Office, Mezzanine Floor, Sterling House, Port Louis,  including your passport
5 present your case. It is free of charge. maximum stay is 180 days for business visa and tourist visa per year

I did it for me and my son while we were waiting for the permits. It took me 20 minutes.

Do it before your current visa expires, otherwise it will depend on who you meet at the immigration office.

Thank you for your mail.

I already exited to Madagascar and will be coming back with business visa tomorrow.

Br ,Nasra

When you get back get the longest visa you can 90 days. Safe trip.

Yes ... I hope so.
Asante

This is a pretty old thread but I was wondering if the rule for extending your visa to 180 days is still operative?

Can we still easily extend our tourist visa at the immigration office as mentioned above?

Hello Nadeem,
could you please send me your contact e-mail and skype.
I have some questions and you might be able to help me if you wish so.
I am planing to apply for Retirement permit the next week. So any help will be appreciated.

I have a friend who stay in Mauritius n his visa was expired he is a bangladeshi.can he apply visa n come again

Hi nadeem i need some information how can contact u

If someone stay more than 7 months in Mauritius without visa..what r the procedure to clear this prblm...any solution

He might probably get a Refusal to entry when he leaves... if the Immigration happen to get hold of him before he leaves, he will be deported. Staying 7 months without visa is a criminal offense. If Immigration Officers catch him now, he will be detained until someone pays his return ticket. You better rush and get him a ticket as soon as possible. You can consider the matter as urgent in these circumstances.

Hi my boyfriend is from Nigeria and he was a student but his student visa for Empire March 2017. Not Enough money to go back he is still here now the situation has change I am pregnant of 6 month is there a way of facility for us to get marride Even no visa

Hello

Maybe you can help me. My boyfriend is from Nigerians his student visa got expired March 2017 no money to go back he overstayed and now the situation had chage becouse i am pregnant for 6 month. Is there a way to get marride with no visa.

Beatriceiranie wrote:

Hello

Maybe you can help me. My boyfriend is from Nigerians his student visa got expired March 2017 no money to go back he overstayed and now the situation had chage becouse i am pregnant for 6 month. Is there a way to get marride with no visa.

How come you have the following in your profile:

I am married no kids first baby in the way

Hello sir i like the way ur answer but i have to ask you for me also my visit visa has expired on 30march in Mauritius i go in port Louis immigration visa extand but theu reject me and say ur visit has expanded u need to go your contrary india
I don't have cash to book my flight ticket i need some more day to stay Mauritius be coz of arranging the money can you help me the situations if i can book the ticket from india they ben me or jail me i am confused and sacred  sir pla guide me
Thanks
Yash  India

Yash0520 wrote:

Hello sir i like the way ur answer but i have to ask you for me also my visit visa has expired on 30march in Mauritius i go in port Louis immigration visa extand but theu reject me and say ur visit has expanded u need to go your contrary india
I don't have cash to book my flight ticket i need some more day to stay Mauritius be coz of arranging the money can you help me the situations if i can book the ticket from india they ben me or jail me i am confused and sacred  sir pla guide me
Thanks
Yash  India

Something does not jive in your situation;
You are awaiting for money to buy for a return flight back home to India.
However , you came  on March 15  and were granted a tourist visa for 15 days ( your other thread)
For sure you must have been in the possession of a "RETURN TICKET" to get that 15 day visa. otherwise you would have been put on the next flight airside w/o stepping on the island.
So what is the truth?

1 month overstayed they punished or they release me

My return ticket was expired on 23rd of march

Hello  i like the way ur answer but i have to ask you for me also my visit visa has expired on 30march in Mauritius i go in port Louis immigration visa extand but they reject me and say ur visit has expanded u need to go your contrary india
I don't have cash to book my flight ticket i need some more day to stay Mauritius be coz of arranging the money can you help me the situations if i can book the ticket from india they ben me or jail me i am confused and sacred  pls guide me
Thanks
Yash  India

Yash0520 wrote:

My return ticket was expired on 23rd of march

Why did you let your return ticket expire instead of changing the dates once you were given a 15 day stay?

Can u plz give me ur gmail i have question

Over staying is not permitted in any situation. If it's 1 or 2 days it's fine, the authority is kind enough to tolerate this. But reading some posts here, I have the impression that some people do not have any regards to our Laws. While visiting a country, you should be aware of the basics with regards to immigration.

The person who has no money (or waiting money) for ticket will unfortunately be detained in a police cell...until someone gets him a ticket. You need to have a valid return ticket at all times. How come you exceed your visa and weeks after that you are still arranging for ticket?

Actually Nadeem. it is 60 days, not 180 days. If you go over 60 days you are illegal, if you are  a tourist from UK or Europe, Im nut sure about USA or India, or Asia?

To say someone is allowed 180 days is very misleading and could land them in serious trouble!

JENJEN23 wrote:

Actually Nadeem. it is 60 days, not 180 days. If you go over 60 days you are illegal, if you are  a tourist from UK or Europe, Im nut sure about USA or India, or Asia?

To say someone is allowed 180 days is very misleading and could land them in serious trouble!

Depends on what you told the immigration officer when you landed at the airport.
Normally  it is 90 days , renewable for another 90 in a calendar year. However, sometimes  the officer will give 60 days initially , and you can extend to the full 180 days once you show proof that you have enough funds to continue on your Tourist visa.

External wrote:
JENJEN23 wrote:

Depends on what you told the immigration officer when you landed at the airport.
Normally  it is 90 days , renewable for another 90 in a calendar year. However, sometimes  the officer will give 60 days initially , and you can extend to the full 180 days once you show proof that you have enough funds to continue on your Tourist visa.

Not what they told me.. they said they NEVER stamp anyone longer than 60 days..its all very confusing! Does anyone know how it works..even them ??

JENJEN23 wrote:
External wrote:
JENJEN23 wrote:

Not what they told me.. they said they NEVER stamp anyone longer than 60 days..its all very confusing! Does anyone know how it works..even them ??

And yet there are so many posters on the French forum who keep enquiring when , within their 90 day stay , they can go to Port Louis to extend their tourist visa for an additional  3 months and what is required to do so.

Same was for me before wedding,only  60 days .I married in meantime,so we gone for procedure...but more of 4 months like tourist-friend visit(with g.letter) to stay,I dont think...maximum 4minths=120 days...My opinion...

Hey Nadeem,  I've got a similar question. If you've renounced your mauritian passport for another citizenship, and you come to Mauritius and you apply and get ID. What happens if you pass the visa expiration date on your passport. Is it still a criminal offense, even though you've got the ID?