Offer to move to Manila

Hi ,
I got an offer to work in Manila and I wanted to know whether it is safe city live and what is the tax rates , whether we have any Indian CBSE schools , what is the cost of living. I'm married with 2 kids and elder is in 3rd std as of now.
please suggest me whether i should move or not
Regards
Prashant

Hi.

My name is Yousuke, Japanese national who have stayed here in Manila for three years.

Let me answer only about security.
Generally speaking, it is no doubt that you won't bother security problems as long as you live in Makati city where
is a part of Metro Manila and a prosperous city.
At least, here is the place that murder case, robbery,and
pickpocket rarely happen.

Off course, we can see a few cases even in this city.
But as far as I know, most cases are related to money or human relations problem with locals.
That is why I can say that you don't need to worry as long as
you are careful enough for those aspects.

This is applicable for other city like Quezon city I stay now.
But basically, self-protection is most important way of thinking.
We can not count on policeman who gives us really poor service.
Instead, some of them might request you money.

Aside from the things above, you will bother serious air pollution or flood on the street in rainy season.

I worked in Hyderabad at a pharma co for 9 months, so Metro Manila is safer and cleaner than Hbad IMO. For schools, there are no Indian schools, but are British and International schools in Fort Bonafacio.  They will cost more than US$20k per year so budget for that. Otherwise, will need to attend a local school, partially taught in tagalog. If you cant afford the international school, better to leave your kids in India.

Cost of living is higher in Manila than HBad, especially electricity. Food costs will prob be similar, unless you need specialty Indian foods.  Not sure about rent, there are cheaper places to rent, but limited in school options.

There are quite a few Indians on this forum who should be able to help.

I highly doubt relocating your family to Manila will be a positive experience for your family.
Per the American men with families that I know there, schools are nothing more than a day care center to give adults the day off. $20,000 usd for private schools is more than I pay for my daughters private school here in California....Filipinos are ripping people off blind. Do you think even the private schools there really care about your childen?
Typical for the Philippines.

Jimf wrote:

Per the American men with families that I know there, schools are nothing more than a day care center to give adults the day off.

I donno what school your so called american families have chosen to send their children but the school named Mahatma Gandhi International School in Pasay City , Manila is fantastic school .. not just day care .. when kids are aged above 6 years no parents expects to blindly payoff the fee for day care activities .. :D
I agree there are some schools which are good and very expensive and there are also many which are moderate and yet quality based good educating schools. Never judge whole country by just some reviews of people living in remote places .. Citites are quite different to rural areas and that is what shows you here in philippines. Schooling is not at all different to Sandiego schools .. I have lived there for 5 years and I know very well how the syllabus and activities go side by side at Sandiego California schools. Here in this school i mentioned earlier its 99% matching to those schools except they also teach about Indian culture (cause its started by Indians long many years ago ) and Philippine culture  ( cause we are living in philippines its must to know about their culture )

International schools do need to be paid little more than other schools anywhere in this world .. When we were in Europe ( finland) we have to pay really lot to get admission in English medium and When we were in Muscat ( Oman ) similarly more expensive than any other schools. So when we opt for English in non english speaking countries it is NORMAL to pay loads of fee

Mahatma Gandhi International School in Pasay City

I dont think that is an Indian school with an India curriculem, just has funding from the foundation.  Also, it was est in 2003 so not much of a history yet.

Thanks for the sane reply. I must recant some of my rant. You're right, I should not generalize.
The schools I was referring to are public schools in Negros (Dumaguete/Dauin area).
I have to state though, that 20,000 usd per year for a school anywhere in the Philippines is blatantly excessive.
A 6 year medical school education for foreigners at Fatima is approx $60,000 usd (plus a few fees at the end).
Thats three years at a kids private school there?
I'm out.

Jimf wrote:

Thanks for the sane reply. I must recant some of my rant. You're right, I should not generalize.
The schools I was referring to are public schools in Negros (Dumaguete/Dauin area).
I have to state though, that 20,000 usd per year for a school anywhere in the Philippines is blatantly excessive.
A 6 year medical school education for foreigners at Fatima is approx $60,000 usd (plus a few fees at the end).
Thats three years at a kids private school there?
I'm out.

The figure of US$20,000 may only apply to a few high cost private schools, not all of them.

The British School Manila charges between GBP 5,000 and GBP 13,000 depending on the grade. 

This British School Manila is actually US$20k for grade 12/13, but is considered a very high ranking school by some as it teaches the English National Curriculum

There will probably be others, also run by overseas personnel, that charge similar with teaching based on their own countries system.  Designed for expats who will be taking their children back to their home countries and need their kids to keep at the same education level as back home.

Class sizes of 10-15 students per class, in some schools, may be part of some of the higher costs.