Is $2,000 is enough in PP?

Hi, I just got an offer working in PP with salary range of $2,000. I'm a single guy who love to party abit:). Is it enough to sustain my lifestyle?

Haiydzal Mateen wrote:

Hi, I just got an offer working in PP with salary range of $2,000. I'm a single guy who love to party abit:). Is it enough to sustain my lifestyle?

For information go to the forum categories list on the right hand side of this page, select from the list and read through the many informative posts there.

I think it's not enough
Food 3-5 usd /time (simple same on street not a restaurant)
Apartment. 300-500 /month
If you take a tuk tuk or moto thay charge you over always
All everything's over prices
Food too over prices
Please rethink or think hard to come

I've been told that an expat can live well enough on $600/month. That's on the low side, but it gives you some idea. $2,000/month is a small fortune. I'm currently looking for work at $800-$1,000+.

USD 2000 is plenty, I can hardly spend USD 1000 and I have a big family (excluding accommodation as I have my own house). A apartment will cost you less than USD 500 p/m in PP and much less in SR . In general USD 1000 including an apartment is good cash and enjoy well. Be aware, one can also spend USD 10.000 p/m depending on the company you keep.

I'm no soft traveler but I've been to phnom penh and it's bloody dangerous. If you have a female in your room, chances are she wants to rob you or be paid or both. Lock your stuff up. I'm not joking. Every single time. I was robbed and yet I thought the others who told me they were robbed were just unseasoned soft travelers.

Um. Don't go to Cambodia. Phnom penh is the only non boring city and it's a gamble every time you get on a motorbike that you won't be injured or killed.

Wow, you must have had some serious bad company. Just a word of caution, bad company one can find in any country. If it comes to transportation, perhaps a taxi is a better solution for you instead a a Moto. Dangerous, well not even close to cities in US/Europe and Africa.

Thanks for the information, the company are helping me to get an apartment with cost around usd300, I think I can manage since I lived a simple lifestyle. Hope to meet new great friends there. Thanks.

Plenty no problem

hi Haiydzal,

I m new in the blog. Right now I´m  thinking about to move to PP. This is actually the same question for me what is the average level of salary to ensure a middle live style. I guess 2.000 $ is not bad but I have no idea how much to pay for tax, any insurance and, and.. like p.e. in Malaysia or in my case in Germany.
If this money will be the net price than should be ok. Take the job, settle down and look for carrier oppotunities or for another one when you made some more experience of lifestyle and enviroment.
2000 is not bad.

Yes, you can get a 1 bedroom furnished apartment for $300 or less.

2000 is a lot, I know people who get by with a lot less, I don't think you need to worry about that. However, how well do you know this company, and are you sure this is a firm offer and that they're gonna stick to these conditions? Unfortunately, there are a few stories out there about people moving to a new place just to find themselves with no job (and sometimes no money and no place to stay), so I'd be very careful before quitting your current job and selling your furniture and moving...

Only you know your lifestyle so you should elaborate.  The cautious regarding ensuring the job is legit and see if they can help you initially to find a place to rent.  Rent is cheap but for better security an apt in the $400 - $500 range is probably more like it.  Electricity is expensive so if you need A/C etc. plan on paying approx. $100./month.  The warnings about the girls is accurate and riding a moto at night is not smart - ESPECIALLY around any holidays or out of the city.  The sidewalk food can be cheap.  As is the case everywhere - it will take awhile for you to find out how much things cost and where to get them.  Once you do - 2K will be plenty unless your lifestyle is extravagant.

Don't be too trusting of anyone.  Do NOT do drugs or anything that will allow people (including cops) to extort money from you.  Believe me - you don't want to be in a Cambodian prison. ;)

Best of luck!

/gbdusmc/