Food essentials in baggage

Hi, can anyone tell me what are the regulations regarding carrying food in my suitcase. I am coming to Marrakech for a long holiday and want to bring some foodstuff with me - is this allowed? I dont want the hassle of getting pulled up by customs. It would be general commercially packed stuff from uk. I know I can buy almost everything in a local supermarket but want to bring my favorite things with me.Also is there any items you can suggest I bring that are hard to get hold of.
many thanks

Hello. I am coming to Morocco in two months and have been trying to find an answer to your question. We Swedes love our ham and conserved fish!

I found this page, unfortunately in French:--

http://www.service-public.ma/web/guest/ … ique=12072

Y a-t-il des marchandises soumises à des formalités particulières ?
L'importation des marchandises ci-après est soumise à l'accomplissement de certaines formalités particulières, notamment :

- animaux et produits animaux : certificat vétérinaire délivré par les services de l'élevage;

- produits végétaux : certificat phytosanitaire délivré par les services de l'inspection des végétaux;

- espèces de la faune et de la flore sauvages menacées d'extinction et spécimen de ces espèces (convention de Washington) : certificat CITES délivré par le département chargé des Eaux et Forêts;

It looks like if the meat or veg are certified as safe, then there is no problem. I hope that this means that the Swedish certification (it has to be certified to be sold in Sweden) will be enough.

I can't find specific prohibitions or permissions, such as we have on the Swedish Customs website and you have on the UK one. In any case, several people have advised me that the Moroccan Customs are not interested in food items, whether meat, veg, canned goods or things in jars. They are worried about guns and hard drugs.

I want to take parsnips!

Oh, and I looked at the supermarket websites last night to see what they sell. You don't need to take chocolate, coffee, cheese (unless you want a special type), crisps, most vegetables. You can even get salmon/trout as well as ham and salami etc. However, not pork. I asked on a separate thread if there are places to buy pork/ham products as the supermarkets are a bit expensive.

I've filled my hand luggage (10kg) with Thornton chocolate for my friends out there. I wouldn't think chocolate would be a problem. I always take English tea bags with me.

I didn't know there was any regulations. That's new to me. I was taking all sorts of stuff during all my visits. Never questioned. I don't know if there is any rules, and don't actually care, until I get stopped. I like to learn by experience.

JOBY01 wrote:

I've filled my hand luggage (10kg) with Thornton chocolate for my friends out there. I wouldn't think chocolate would be a problem. I always take English tea bags with me.

Next time take them some lovely Danish Anthon Berg. Much nicer! Or Fazer chocolate from Finland.

Oh yes. I got a taste for English tea bags too. I couldn't see an English brand on the supermarket website. However, there are loads of "infusions", some of them "own brand" and not too expensive.

I'm in England though! Thornton chocs are easy to get and also do a diabetic range as my partner's parents are diabetic.

JOBY01 wrote:

I'm in England though! Thornton chocs are easy to get and also do a diabetic range as my partner's parents are diabetic.

Oh no. They are really sweet, what with all the marzipan in them, the Anthon Berg. However, they are usually sold in international airports, so next time you pop over, treat yourself to a packet.

Oh I fly out to Morocco in 2 weeks I will look at the airport for them.