Top 5 tips to live in Kyrgyzstan

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Kyrgyzstan.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Kyrgyzstan?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Kyrgyzstan!

Thank you in advance :)

In reply to the question about the five 'Top Tips' for moving to live in Kyrgyzstan, I would suggest the following;

1.   Make an effort to learn some basic and practical Russian.   One word per day for a month or two would provide sufficient vocabulary for basic conversation and survival.

2.   Do (or arrange for) a realistic security risk assessment and plan to organise your life accordingly.   The assement should not be generic but should focus on YOU, YOUR lifestyle, YOUR occupation and YOUR circumstances.   A pragmatic understanding of crime trends, crime types and common victim profiles should enable you to develop suitable mitigation strategies and build them into your daily life.   A further benefit of this is the avoidance of myth based paranoia, 'old & bold' expats will tell all manner of horror stories about how dangerous the streets of Bishkek can be and these stories are sometimes exagerated.   A REALISTIC appreciation is what you need.

3.  Choose accomodation with great care and avoid the temptation to make price based decisions.   The cheapest deal is not always the best deal in the longer term.    A review of the broader area surrounding a flat and the physical security / resistance of the premises should be a part of your security risk assessment (See point # 2) as should a consideration of approach lighting, dark stairwells and non resident access control.    Safety and fire precautions including alarms and a check on the integrity of electrical wiring are strongly recommended.    It is wise to have rental contracts and agreements reviewed by a trusted Kyrgyz advisor or friend with particular attention paid to the financial aspects and penalties for damage etc.   DO NOT sign a Russian or Kyrgyz language document until it has been vetted by somebody you trust.

4.   Have your metaphorical shovel ready to dig your 'escape tunnel' should you suddenly need one.   Kyrgyzstan is a great country and Bishkek can be a superb city to live in, but nothing lasts for ever .......... So expect the unexpected.   If you have to leave in a hurry, for whatever reason, that is not the time to start rushing around like a headless chicken trying to make plans;  The time to make these plans is before you need them.   If you have to exfiltrate rapidly what will you take with you, where will you go, how will you pay for travel and where are your travel docs (passport etc)?

5.   Make absolutely sure that your medical arrangements are 100% sorted.   Medical / medivac insurance is a must in Kyrgyzstan.   If you need to take regular medication check to ensure that it is legal to bring your particular medicine with you and, if not, check that a local equivelent is available in pharmacies.   If you need glasses be sure to take at least one spare pair with you and have a thorough dental check up / treatment before you leave your home country.

So, those are my five 'Top Tips'.   I hope I don't give too gloomy an impression of life in Kyrgyzstan which is a place I have enjoyed enormously and found to be truely wonderful..   The 'pro's far outweigh the 'con's in my experience and I have found life in Central Asia to be a fascinating, enriching and thoroughly enjoyable experience.   However, it has probably been such a great time of my life because I have gone to the trouble of developing a realistic appreciation of what is actually going on and adapting my lifestyle accordingly.    Central Asia is not western Europe or the USA with mountains and felt tents ........ It is Central Asia.   Respect the difference and plan accordingly and you should have a wonderful time.   

Good luck.