Cost of living in muscat

Vijongski wrote:

Hi Mr. Sumitran. I have read your replies and find it very helpful especially to those who are considering different offers from different Oman companies.

I am a Medical Laboratory Technician with the International Medical Laboratory Scientist License (American Society for Clinical Pathology) and i want to know what is the range of my salary just in case i decided to work in Muscat, Oman. If given the chance to choose, which is more favorable, work in the government or private owned company?. Do they  offer the same packages for Healthcare workers like me?. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Hi Vijongski,

I do not have the slightest idea of pay scales of people in your profession. But I do have some idea that getting a job these days for any expatriate is a huge challenge, complete with inordinate delays in getting the paperwork cleared.

So as you have assumed, you cannot simply choose to work in Oman and get a suitable job within days. Secondly, getting a job in the government sector is a bigger challenge.

If given the option to choose between the former and the latter, I would advice you to choose the former. Packages and benefits are better for the government employees as opposed to the private sector. Getting a posting in Muscat or any of the other larger towns might be a bit difficult. But if you manage to secure one, you are good.

Thank you Mr. Sumitran. Honestly i have up coming interviews from several hospitals in Muscat, Oman. In my case i do not know yet the usual package/salary range for my position as Laboratory Technician. Is there any way that i can get just the average salary of Healthcare workers?( Ex. Doctors, Nurses, Lab. Tech., Pharmacist etc) Any website/blogsite you would suggest?

I expect the interview to discuss my salary package and compensation, I am afraid that if i were to ask "what is your expected salary?". I may end up giving them high/low numbers high enough to reject me or low enough for me to suffer in the end. hehe.. I'll just pray for my upcoming interviews and hopefully land a job in Oman with salary/package according to what is just. Thanks much Sir!

@Vijonski

Try these sites for salary www.payscale.comwww.worldsalaries.org  or Google search for it.

Hi,
I am very new to the country (2 months) as well to this blog. Happened to see this today and went through most of the threads. Quite impressed the way members are actively discussing, helping each other. Since being here for a couple of months, let me put my views on "How much one can save in Muscat" from the perspective of someone who had the same question running in his head 2 months back.

As I need to get my family here soon, I am still searching for the options available in Muscat. Doing window shopping and getting on estimates. The below details might help you understand the cost of living here. You may decide based on your judgement how much you can save since what all you get is tax free. After all the savings depends on your lifestyle and spending habits..

Rent for a 2BHK - 300 to 400 OMR (depending on location)
Phone internet etc - 15 OMR is Maximum (You have cheap VOIP options to call India/Bangladesh, get a 3G of 1 GB for 5 OMR, and a recharge of 2.500 OMR which give you 700 minutes of talk time :) cheaper than local calls in India!!  :)

Other common items:-
TV - 40 Inch ~ 250 higher end like Sony (Can get lower one for 150 too)
Fridge (Double Door big) ~ 170. (You can get a 170 liter one for OMR 90)
Washing Machine (9 Kg) ~150 (Smaller ones, top load start at ~~ 70)
Cooking Range ~ 140 (Normal gas stove 4 burner about 30)
Dining Table Set ~ 50 onwards
Sofa Set ~ 120 onwards
Laptop ~ 150 -250 (Decent Configuration)
7 inch Tablet ~ 20 - 50

Food
A chicken biryani in a normal restaurant costs about 1.500 OMR
Any curry (non veg) about 2.500 OMR
Bread ~0.500 OMR
Jam ~ 0.600 OMR

Others

Petrol ~ 0.270 OMR per liter (Please don't take this as a benchmark)
Taxi ~ 0.100 per 10 kms (Approximate, you need to bargain a bit here and I will never suggest you to go daily by this mode)
Driving Class - 6.00 OMR per hour only for training (This is the costliest part, as you have to get the license by learning, no short cuts)
Bank Transaction (Remittance to Indian currency)- 2.500 OMR per transaction (not sure if it is standard, but mostly)
Tuition Fee approximately about 500 OMR annually in Indian School Muscat

Note that the above prices are what I found in uptown showrooms and are mostly on higher side. This may vary. I am still searching for cheaper options.

I am living in india Chennai..I got an offer as an engineer with 80000 inr p.m. with bachelor accommodation.  Job location is in muscat. Can I save good money with this salary. Please advice.

srinivasulunvs wrote:

I am living in india Chennai..I got an offer as an engineer with 80000 inr p.m. with bachelor accommodation.  Job location is in muscat. Can I save good money with this salary. Please advice.

Hi srinivasulunvs,

Your offered salary in is R.O. 488/-. Not much for an Engineering graduate.

I don't know how many years of past work experience you have. So I cannot comment on whether the salary is fair or otherwise, except that for an Engineering graduate this is on the lower side.

If accommodation is taken care of, the rest of the expenses are only for your food, transport and living expenses. Yes, you should be able to safely safe about 50% upwards of your salary.

Hi ..

I have got an offer Basic OMR 400 and other allowance OMR 350. I have mentioned them i need to move in with my wife and the two kids, one is 6 years and other 2 years old. I would like to know will i be able to serve with the family and also if i stay as bachelor is this a good offer.  Would appreciate a quick response. and what else should i ask from the company.

Thanks
Dinesh

Vishmi123 wrote:

Hi ..

I have got an offer Basic OMR 400 and other allowance OMR 350. I have mentioned them i need to move in with my wife and the two kids, one is 6 years and other 2 years old. I would like to know will i be able to serve with the family and also if i stay as bachelor is this a good offer.  Would appreciate a quick response. and what else should i ask from the company.

Thanks
Dinesh

Hi Vishmi123,

R.O. 750/- per month is not a good salary for a family of 4.

For a bachelor this is pretty good.

Ask your employer for fully furnished family accommodation, payment of utility bills, transportation, and the mandatories of course - medical insurance for all family, annual paid holiday with return airfares, as the barest minimums.

Hello Everyone. I am MBA and have 10 years work experience in Banking. What kind of salary I should look at while negotiating with a employer based out of Muscat. The employer is a mid sized bank based out of muscat. Will greatly appreciate a quick reply.

Dubis wrote:

Hello Everyone. I am MBA and have 10 years work experience in Banking. What kind of salary I should look at while negotiating with a employer based out of Muscat. The employer is a mid sized bank based out of muscat. Will greatly appreciate a quick reply.

Whatever the offered package is, should not be less than four figures.

Thanks schaz. They are offering 2500+ 200 (p.m. for kid's education) + medical + travel. Can you suggest me if its a fair offer considering my experience or should I negotiate further.

Dubis wrote:

Thanks schaz. They are offering 2500+ 200 (p.m. for kid's education) + medical + travel. Can you suggest me if its a fair offer considering my experience or should I negotiate further.

It's a decent salary for maintaining a comfortable lifestyle.
In particular, i have not much idea about the banking sector salary scale as I come from an engineering background. However  in general, this package is considered to be nice in terms of potential savings.

Dubis wrote:

They are offering 2500..... Can you suggest me if its a fair offer considering my experience or should I negotiate further.

Hello friends,

I have been trying very hard to benchmark the salaries of Oman against other GCC countries for the sake of evaluating my offer. Would welcome comments from seniors professionals in the accounting and finance domain on:
a. salary ranges in finance for 12 years experience with UK/US professional qualifications.
b. job security in light of omanisation as future moves within Oman are limited by the 2 year ban.

Have an offer in hand of OMR 3,000 (basic) + 1,100 (allowances) + usual benefits for a finance manager position in a company with revenue less than a 1bn USD/yr with a 3 year contract.

thanks in advance.

marao wrote:
Dubis wrote:

They are offering 2500..... Can you suggest me if its a fair offer considering my experience or should I negotiate further.

Hello friends,

I have been trying very hard to benchmark the salaries of Oman against other GCC countries for the sake of evaluating my offer. Would welcome comments from seniors professionals in the accounting and finance domain on:
a. salary ranges in finance for 12 years experience with UK/US professional qualifications.
b. job security in light of omanisation as future moves within Oman are limited by the 2 year ban.

Have an offer in hand of OMR 3,000 (basic) + 1,100 (allowances) + usual benefits for a finance manager position in a company with revenue less than a 1bn USD/yr with a 3 year contract.

thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, there has been no appropriate benchmark or KPIs for relating / comparing the salaries in Oman.

There are people with even more experience than 12 years, working exactly the same position for what you've been  offered and getting 60% less than the salary, quoted to you. Then there are people with same category, getting even higher salaries than the one you've stated. So in this part of the world, your "Luck" and your employer plays a vital role in deciding your worth :)

I'm not a "finance" person, however i can assess your salary as "Very Nice" as compared to many of the employees acquiring similar position with same experience. If your employer (in addition to this salary) provides you an accommodation, then your package may be considered as "Excellent".

Best of luck!

Hello schaz  how much an engineering porfessional with 11 yrs experience  get in oman?

Hello,

I want to move to Muscat. I want to know how I can rent a furnished apartment at Muscat from abroad so that I have my accommodation ready when I arrive. Is there any website related to this topic?  Also please advice what will be the better choice; renting a furnished apartment or unfurnished apartment?

Thank you.

Hi Mostafa498,

There are quite a few 'Hotel Apartments', which are compact furnished accommodation, complete with kitchenette, washing machines, and such. These would be ideal options for short-term stay like for a couple of months or thereabouts. For extended periods, it would work out to be expensive.

Do an online search for hotel apartments in Muscat and you will find a few.

In addition to what Mr. Sumitran has stated, most of the affordable hotel apartments are not being marketted online on any website (Unfortunately). Most popular sites, e.g.  Booking.com or Agoda (Similar ones) have the deals for comparatively expensive ones. Hence, if you're looking for a cheaper deal. You might could take an extra effort and find one when you arrive at Muscat.

Hi there,
Im looking out for sales job in OMAN,, what will be the ideal salary i can get for good standard of living, i will be single(married n we r expecting baby in few months), looking for furnished apartment(A/C+TV+Fritz) with all am unities,+food service,laundry etc...(prefer to stay in Indian communities r located)
Pls help me out with ur valuable guidelines..
Thanks
Reddy T.L.N

hi @T.L.N Reddy,

you can browse through the pages in thi sthread only, which has fairly detail break ups of costs.

it all depends upon your life style. but taking if you live a simple life style with no extra expenditures, and going as per the thread, i guess anything above 800-1000 OMR is considered good. (without company provided accommodation)

hope this would suffice

Hello,
my husband has been gotten an offer to work in muscat. his salary is 1500 OMR.
Is it enough  for a couple in muscat???

vahisa wrote:

Hello,
my husband has been gotten an offer to work in muscat. his salary is 1500 OMR.
Is it enough  for a couple in muscat???

Hi vahisa,

Yes, the salary figure quoted above would be well sufficient for a couple to lead a comfortable life.

Suggest your read through the 'Cost of Living' topic posts, for details of what you could expect in terms of expenses.

Thanks a LOT... for the info.
I might get an offer in oman soon, i will be moving single currently.... expected salary might be > 2,500 OMR.... is it fine.... later i want to bring my wife n kid after a 6 months or afterwards....
My job involves lot of travel.... which need to be spent from my side only....
pls guide....

Dear Mr.Reddy,

as i wrote anything from 800 OMR is fine, so 2500 OMR is 3+ times the comfortable salary. Dont worry, and i hope you get you visa soon. as many here are waiting for their visa since 6 months.

To obtain family visa, minimum salary requirement is 600 OMR, so again no problem there. just ask your company HR, when he will be filling for the same. as in some companies they start filing family visa after, between 3- 6 months.

Thanks a lot, im expecting my offer letter in very short time, i will be in touch after that, my office would be in RUWI... i would be willing to stay in ruwi for 6 months in a fully furnished air conditioned accommodation with food service as well. There should be nothing left over from A to Z, since im new im looking for that comfort, once i'm through with city knowledge, will shift to a good apartment (2bhk) with family in early 2016.
I might be travelling in 1st week of july.
pls guide me with some tips - eg... any web site or local vendors in n around Ruwi.... prefer to stay in INDIAN community currently.. as this is my 1st visit to OMAN / Abroad.
Pls do guide me ...
Thanks in advance..
Rgds
Reddy - B'lore

I got an offer from Muscat basic salary +790 OMR other allowance.

is other allowance specifed is sufficient for average 3 person family.

office is in nizwa. so i can stay in muscat city.

Consider 2bhk flat

Thanks

Hi,

You didn't mention any other things. Like what other benefits are you getting? Like transport n medical etc. Will your company provide accommodation rentals?

If its 790 omr without any of the benefits mentioned above. It might be less. As you might not be able to save more.

Hi,

You didn't mention any other things. Like what other benefits are you getting? Like transport n medical etc. Will your company provide accommodation rentals?

If its 790 omr without any of the benefits mentioned above. It might be less. As you might not be able to save more.

Hi

I get 790 omr as allowance for accomodation, local transport, air ticket and other daily expense. medical insurance (for myself and my family) will be provided by company.

apart from allowancr i get basic sal of 750 omr.

Hope to have a confortable life there.

Regards

Hi.. I got offer for 450 Omr + accom, furnishing allow now. After 6 months they added OMR 200 for family. I have 10 years ecp. In technical line & completed   my DME. Having a child of 1.5 years old. In india I'm getting 42K monthly. Pl. Clarify me this offer is fine..? How much i can save if i residing with my family..? What are the other details to be collect from the employer...? Pl. Help.

Hello Mr. Sumitran,

I saw the post above, and most of them they kept on mentioning your name that's why I'm writing this to you and hoping that you could help me as well. Here it goes I'm currently located and working in Salalah Oman. I'm working in a Private Hospital as a Nurse here.  But I'm planning to transfer in a Goverment Institution like Diwan of Royal Court Hospital and Sultan Qaboos Hospital and I'm wondering if you know how to send an application through their local or direct office here in Oman or do you happen to know if there's someone who tried to apply directly in MOH without any agency? Coz I already have a License here under MOH-OMSB all I want is to transfer to a Goverment Institution. Hoping from your response. Thank you and God Bless!

chizmateo wrote:

Hello Mr. Sumitran,

I saw the post above, and most of them they kept on mentioning your name that's why I'm writing this to you and hoping that you could help me as well. Here it goes I'm currently located and working in Salalah Oman. I'm working in a Private Hospital as a Nurse here.  But I'm planning to transfer in a Goverment Institution like Diwan of Royal Court Hospital and Sultan Qaboos Hospital and I'm wondering if you know how to send an application through their local or direct office here in Oman or do you happen to know if there's someone who tried to apply directly in MOH without any agency? Coz I already have a License here under MOH-OMSB all I want is to transfer to a Goverment Institution. Hoping from your response. Thank you and God Bless!

Hi chizmateo,

I am sorry, I am not familiar with the appointment procedures of the government hospitals here in Muscat.

But I am sure there are some members here who might be familiar with the processes, who would assist you.

Good luck.

chizmateo wrote:

Hello Mr. Sumitran,

There's no specific procedure of transfer, just based on your wish.
If you have the OMSB license, you can directly approach MOH (Ministry of Health - Muscat or MOH Salalah) and submit your interest via application by meeting any of the HR personnel out there.

Hello schaz!

Thanks for the reply. Do you think there's an HR Personal working in MOH- Salalah? Coz I'm planning to go to Muscat and go directly to the main office of MOH instead of here in Salalah.

chizmateo wrote:

Hello schaz!

Thanks for the reply. Do you think there's an HR Personal working in MOH- Salalah? Coz I'm planning to go to Muscat and go directly to the main office of MOH instead of here in Salalah.

I'm not a doctor (thankfully) and hence don't know about MOH Salalah office. But in Muscat, you can surely approach and they'd be definitely able to assist you accordingly.

P.S, This topic is purely on COL at Muscat. You can create another post, specific to your query. Please keep this post be beneficial for the people to know the COL - Muscat.

Dear Sir,
I got offer in sales line with a consolidated pay of OMR-800/. + medical+annual two way tickets -
Currently i want to come single n after 6 months+ will bring my wife n 1yr kid.
pls advice will it need my purpose, - im getting approx. 80k in india.
pls advice.  The employer not yet disclosed the city where i have to work (muscat,salalah,bawshar,al sohar etc..
Rgds
Reddy

Hi T.L.N.Reddy,

A direct conversion of Indian Rupees to Omani Rials is not really the correct or the best way to calculate your earnings or savings potential. The market dynamics vary a lot between both these countries.

You should only look at the amount being offered in Oman and then calculate the expenses backwards to decide on how much you will be left with at the end of each month. That would be a more realistic way of calculating your costs and figuring out your approximate savings potential.

Of all the places which you have mentioned as your likely places of work, Muscat of course, would be the most expensive and Sohar would be the least expensive. (Bausher is inside of Muscat city limits only).

Who is going to pay for your accommodation and utility bills ? If it is going to be on your employer it would obviously be better for you.

Hi,hope you are doing well..i want to ask about the expense of two kids schooling in pakistan intl school of Muscat..because i have offer of 1600R.O with family status ...so want to know with two kids is that enough ..i have to manage my grocries,housing nd kids schooling in this pay and also want to do savings.....soo plz guide me about COL in  muscat....thanks in advance...TC

Dear Sumitran sir,
Its a TOTAL package is 800 OMR, still the employer is open for negotiation,
I had been offered job role as a Sales Officer with a leading FMCG giant firm, what would be the ideal salary for this role according to Oman market.
Pls do the needful.
Thanking you
Rgds
Reddy

Hello Everyone,

I am an engineer having 8 years of experience in oil & gas field.

I seek your guidance to work out expenditures and savings (that i could have with the offered package).
The employer has offered me 2000 OMR as a complete package which includes 350 OMR for accommodation and 130 for transportation + Medical will be reimbursed extra based on actual expense.

I am married and have 3.5 years old kid.
Is it enough to have a good lifestyle with decent savings?