Advise

I am married to a Romanian women and we decided that we would like to live in her country.
Since I do not speak Romania - I was wondering is there a city that an English speaking person
can find work easily?  What would our combined income need to be to live comfortably.  We would
need a 1 bedroom apartment and enough money to eat at home and maybe go somewhere once a week
to eat at restaurant or maybe a club.

csav wrote:

I am married to a Romanian women and we decided that we would like to live in her country.
Since I do not speak Romania - I was wondering is there a city that an English speaking person
can find work easily?  What would our combined income need to be to live comfortably.  We would
need a 1 bedroom apartment and enough money to eat at home and maybe go somewhere once a week
to eat at restaurant or maybe a club.

Welcome to the forum.

Please read through the many informative posts listed in the forum categories section on the right hand side of this page. I am sure others will also get back to you.

Hi,

If you have some other skills that might be needed locally, or speak another language other than English to a fluent level, you might find work in something like IT support or for a multinational. Just knowing English probably won't be enough as there are lots of Romanians who speak excellent English. If you do have other skills, generally speaking Bucharest has the most opportunities, although there are sometimes openings in other major cities such as Cluj or Brasov.

As for income, it's kind of hard to say - depends what you mean by 'comfortably'. You'll probably need 3-400 Euro for rent (can be more, if you want to live in a fancy compound, or can be less, if you want to live in a peripheral neighbourhood), add to that another 100-150 Euro for bills, something for transport (your own car, or are you happy with public transport?), maybe 200-300 Euro for groceries if you cook at home and buy local/seasonal, or more if you get everything from the hypermarkets. A night out at a restaurant can cost as little as 25 Euro for two (local restaurant) up to 100 Euro if you go somewhere posh and drink fancy wine).

Probably a combined income of 1000 Euro net per month would enable you to manage reasonably well, but obviously it really does depend on your other costs, like if you want to save, if you want holidays/weekends away, and so on. I know couples who live on less and manage fine, and also couples with more yet who still complain...