Long term car rental?

Hello, expat family~  Does anyone have suggestions for long term car rental like for 1-2 months?  We want to come down longer and longer but not have to pay the huge car expense.

Barbara

Hi Schuttzie:

Have you tried any local car rental agencies (Charlie's & Target come to mind)?  I would imagine that there might be business travelers and other visitors that need the same type of arrangement.
Best of luck in your research!!

I don't know their prices but Popular Auto (a daughter of Banco Popular) might be a good choice. Website (bilingual!) here: http://www.popularautorentals.com/english/default.aspx

I once got a good deal from Leaseway. Don't remember the cost.  They are on that strip (Marginal Los Angeles?) near the airport where all of the car dealers used to be located. Also, many car rental companies have a division for longer term rentals. You generally have to call versus booking directly on-line. Enterprise/Budget is one of those companies.

We had checked with Charlies and Enteprise online but didn't really get a price break.  Thank you, all for the other options.  I will check them out and maybe even call Charlies and Enteprise direct to see if we can work out something. 

You guys are the best!

Just tried on line to check out pricing again with Enteprise most expensive then Popular Rent a Car and Charlies as the least costly.  I'll have to make phone calls to Leaseway (won't show price for more than 30 days) and the others to see if I can get a better price.  We don't have dates set yet for our next trip but I'm in the planning stages, which is always fun :)

Any luck with Target?  I see their rental vehicles on the road all the time.  They even rent vans and small trucks.  When we first got here, we were looking around for the Target stores.  Ha! - didn't realize that there are no Target stores here.  Even the symbols are alike!

Actually, I did see their location last trip and noticed their symbol, too, haha. I just tried them and they look to be higher than Charlies, too. Hmm, when we get our dates I'll have to make phone calls.

I was wondering how others have done it to save on costs.  I'll keep searching.

Very, very hard not to get taken for a ride by the rental companies in PR. They're geared towards milking the tourists - just like the taxis - that's what they do.

Go to priceline.com and make an offer.  I got a great deal at Avis that way...

David

It was quite a few years ago. My friend got a really good deal from Charlie car rental in Isla Verde.

davidtx, was it for a longer term rental?

In searching online, Charlies seem to be best but still kind of high so maybe I can call them for a better deal once we have our dates.

Hi Schuttzie.  No, in my case it was just a week. 

However, I was playing around on their site and noticed that the "Name your own price" option is there for reservations of up to 4 weeks.  The savings are so substantial that it may be worth breaking up your reservations into 4 week chunks...

David