Chinese Public School

Anyone else with kids dealing with Chinese public schools? My daughter (7) just started First Grade and it's kind of driving me crazy already. She goes to school 8:10 to 4:10 but then has homework from the time she gets home at 5pm until it's bed time at 9. Other than dinner it's non-stop homework! Not to mention she does homework on the weekends which will take a whole day straight or 2 half days- completely ruining any fun she might have.

It's not even a language problem as she was born here and my husband is Chinese so she's fluent in Chinese and English.

The original plan was for her to study here until middle school and then we'll go back to the US to finish it off, but I feel like she's losing her childhood.

I work in a Shanghai private school.  The vast majority of my Chinese students transfer here due to the unmanageable work load in their public schools.  I think it's 'normal'.

its not that your daughter is struggling with work load or lagging behind,
its just the chinese school education system, too much focus on cramming, lots of work load, and definitely nothing on the creative side.

i would recommend send her rather to pvt int'l skool rather, since sending her to chinese skools might give her shaky foundation

It's normal, that's their curriculum. My suggestion, better to send her to private school or international school if U think that is too much for her. But if she can manage this, she'll get the double benefits, discipline side from her primary school now.. And creativity when se moved to US then.. Good luck mom..