Activites, Advice for a person new to Kuwait, Jobs

Hi just moved to Kuwait from the US. I am a female/26 yrs old/Filipino/American. What activities are there to do around here? Any advice about this country would be nice. Whats the best way to get a job around Mahboula with descent pay?

Welcome to the sandbox  :D

As far as activities I hope you like shopping because that's the national pastime here. There are activity groups that you can join depending on your interests. You can also have coffee, smoke hookahs, join a gym, there aren't tons of options but you get creative  :)

What type of job are you looking for and what do you consider decent pay?

Thanks girl! I am looking for any job really, as long they are willing to train. I am eager to learn. My options are limited I feel, because I only speak English. I don't drive so I would have to taxi everywhere...so I am thinking 10KD an hour  would be ok. My husband is a contractor and he pays all the bills, but I am very independent I like getting things myself with my own money. So the more I make the better of course. AND I LOVE SHOPPING

welcome to Kuwait :D

here is a bit of a mathematical perspective for you; average salaries for experienced professionals are 500-1000, entry level where training would be needed differs from industry to industry tending to be at the lower end of the spectrum for non-experienced people.

the average work day is 8 hours, multiplied by 5 working days that gives you 40 hours a week, multiplied by an average of 5 weeks a month gives you a total of 200 hours worked per month.

200 hours at 10KD an hour would give a salary of 2000KD per month, which is more than what some managers pull in some companies :)

10KD would make sense if you are taking about part-time, or tutoring work, then i'm inclined to inform you that the average hourly rate for an American instructor is 15KD.

best of luck

Hello sthomas681,

I would suggest you to have a look create your CV on the Jobs in Kuwait.

If you are looking for activities,you can browse the section Activities in Kuwait so that you can post an advert  for what activities you are looking for.

Thank you
Yuveshen

legacy wrote:

welcome to Kuwait :D

here is a bit of a mathematical perspective for you; average salaries for experienced professionals are 500-1000, entry level where training would be needed differs from industry to industry tending to be at the lower end of the spectrum for non-experienced people.

the average work day is 8 hours, multiplied by 5 working days that gives you 40 hours a week, multiplied by an average of 5 weeks a month gives you a total of 200 hours worked per month.

200 hours at 10KD an hour would give a salary of 2000KD per month, which is more than what some managers pull in some companies :)

10KD would make sense if you are taking about part-time, or tutoring work, then i'm inclined to inform you that the average hourly rate for an American instructor is 15KD.

best of luck

more mathematics (using legacy's 200hr equation) ... DH (Domestic Helpers) and general 'labor' tends to pay out at about .5 hr, if their lucky ... general workers non-skilled up to about 2 and skilled up to about 4 ... supervisory and professional positions can climb higher within certain industries ... western salaries tend 'start' around 4 (education and experience requirements assumed) and according to the industry can climb quite high but the higher paying positions are quite unusual these days ... I've seen pay structures up as high as 28 but for very senior specialty and managerial positions (over the last five years, most of those have been eliminated) in very specific industries. Other things that can play into this matrix would be "nationality", race, gender, and age (most of the things we can't consider back in the US).

Have fun with your new adventure  :)

Aymz,

Do you know any teachers that actually make 15KD an hour tutoring? I heard the same thing but when my teacher friends tried to get tutoring jobs they were only being offered 5-7KD an hour! I have yet to meet a teacher who's made that much tutoring here.

yes Tina, several :D i cant see my teacher friends coz they're too busy raking it in with tuitions, some wake up as early as 5:30AM for sessions! especially during cramming season.

my business partner used to tutor too, and hes not even a teacher, i would make his notes for him, and he was raking it in hand over fist, 200KD a weekend.

yes, it is a very, very lucrative business.

with all due respect, heres another bit of info; back when i was in school here, tutors from the schools themselves (i.e western foreign teachers) were getting 15-20KD per session, which usually lasted an hour. i took math & physics with a university professor at KU who was from india, and i paid her 10KD for 2 hours.

so yes, your nationality also plays a part. but i dont know any western foreign teacher earning less than 15 an hour for tuition.

Wow then all my teacher friends are getting screwed lolol by then again it sounds like the ones you know have older clients. I can't imagine parents paying 15KD to tutor a 2nd grader  :D

i cant imagine a second grader needing tuition! i took tuitions in year 9-11, for IGCSE's, in 2 subjects - Math & Physics.. what is happening to the world "/

yeah, things are changing... and technology has such an impact on how kids are taught... I had a 4 yr old yesterday explaining geometrical polygons to me... it was cute, but I kept thinking at the time how I wasn't even sure if I knew how to count yet at age four.  Her parents are already strategizing age references to grade levels and long term university options.  Its a crazy world now and at some point I figure I'm just going to be occupying space... lol   

:D

Looking for a job in Mahboula?! Forget about it! Mahboula is nothing more than a labour compound. It houses mostly Indian/Pakistani/Nepalese, generally Asian blue-collar workers, in apartments rented out by large companies. The place has no charm whatsoever; in fact, it's downright filthy in places! But that's probably because it houses 99% blue-collar male workers, with very few females to add a touch of domesticity. It's basically a place to sleep, eat & wash, and then back to work, by large company-rented buses.....
Female Filipino workers work as nannies or house maids, or in the service industry (supermarkets, retail stores, clothing stores, restaurants....). They appear generally better off and live in better areas (Fintas, Mangaf, Fahaheel, etc.), often with their employers (i.e. Arab families). Can't say much about pay rates, but I do know that private (Western) tutors can set a good rate (10--20 KD/h), Indian/Pakistani/Nepalese driver/gardener earns around 5KD/h while a Western teacher can get 800 KD/month (entry-level). This might sound little, but at least expenses are offset by accommodation and transport offered by the employer.
It's a good place to save, without having to live like a miser....