Moving Questions / Domestic Help / Ocean Park

Ola,
I am a marketing executive and a single mother to a kindergarten-aged son. I lived in Brazil some years back--well before motherhood--and am excited about the opportunity of living abroad with him! We are considering a move to San Juan and am in the middle of final negotiations for the job. Initially, I was looking in the Dorado area based on some of the threads here. But, I think the commute will kill me as my office is in Old San Juan area. Ocean Park seemed like a better alternative if I can get my son into Robinson. I am hoping to rent for year one.

Any advice on getting into a school after the year starts?

Any advice on working with realtors in the sense of what are the best questions to ask (not necessarily asking for a realtor referral)? What are some issues that mainlanders just do not know about the rental market in PR? (For example, apartments do not come with fridges in Los Angeles--would be good to know if there are issues like that in PR.)

Are utilities similar in price to the mainland?

What should I keep in mind in terms of security and safety?

Can anyone give me some information/pricing on domestic help? I will be looking for a regular nanny--someone who could drive my son home and start dinner--help with some household chores--possibly overnight when I'm away on business. My understanding is that the cost of someone like that would be similar to the mainland.

Are there any issues I should be aware of when buying a certified used car in PR? I'm planning on selling my car and buying when I get there--due to some of the threads I've read here! (Thanks!)

We will have health insurance through my job. Anything I should know about trying to get a doctor?

I am really loathe to change banks. My understanding is that there are no Bank of Americas on the island. Anyone have any experience in keeping a foreign bank?

My son has a hermit crab. Any chance the crab can move with us? :-) Or, are their quarantines, etc.?

Finally, grocery stores. Where's the best one in San Juan (not suburbs)?

Many thanks for your thoughts and opinions on any of these questions! Very grateful for such a lively expat community!
Last edited by sorrel2 (Today 16:43:41)

Regarding banks in PR: They are FDIC insured and the process to open an account is the same as in the mainland US, so no need to be concerned on that front.

Thanks very much. I've read several of your posts and you are a wealth of info! I'm not concerned about inflation or frozen funds or the security of my money just don't really want the hassle of switching banks. I'm wondering if I could still access my bank if I needed to through mobile banking--but I should bite the bullet and call the bank!

Hola Sorrell,  please remember you will NOT be living abroad when in Puerto Rico... It's USA... we are NOT expats!!!  we are US citizens!! BORN .... all same rules and regulations only with a Spanish twist.. that being said, best realtor on the island is Habitat PR... they are honest and prompt, speak English and GET IT!:  [email protected] 7875642765.
Ocean park is a good alternative location for Robinson school.  Speak to Janet Torres for admissions. 
As far as banks, just switch to Banco Popular, no fee ATM, easy access in the supermarket, you can bank on line ... it's US$$$. no big deal.
we have everything you have where you live and MORE.
good luck.

Thanks, We're Moving Where!

Many thanks on the tips for realtors and the school! I didn't mean any offense, I know it's US soil, but this forum is called the Expat.com, so I was taking my queues from the name. That being said, the cost of living seems closer to San Francisco then any other comparably sized mainland city. In fact, I'm really on the fence due to the fact that it will cost so much more to live in San Juan, to maintain current quality of life, when compared to almost any other large city on the mainland. Do you not find this to be true? I'm looking at housing costs for something that would equate to what we live in now and walk away scratching my head. You either have to commute an hour to and from or downsize and live in Conadado. I'm really unsure about this move for my son...

I used Wells Fargo for my bank for the year I lived in PR. They don't have those on the island either. My wife is Puerto Rican and she already had an account with Banco popular on the island. You can still use BofA for most of your banking needs but I would also join Banco Popular for those things you can't do long distance like deposit cash. You can do most of your banking online with BofA including depositing checks if you have a smart phone. I could go to just about any ATM on the island and withdraw funds from my Wells Fargo account.

I don't care what anybody says, yes, Puerto Rico is US soil, people born there are US citizens, they use the dollar like we do. But the reality is that it IS like moving to a foreign country or "abroad". It's not like moving from St. Louis to Virginia. It's a US territory but they do things very differently on the island and speak a totally different language. As a potential newcomer to the island people shouldn't be chastised for making common mistakes when asking valid questions. We're here to help. Patience with newcomers should rule the day here on the "Expat blog".

The banking information was really helpful Gregg! And, thanks for defending me. I definitely understood the former post and that I know there is some discomfort for Puerto Ricans in that it is US soil but that mainland Americans are often ignorant to that. I understand the political issues in PR. And, of course, I certainly do not want to insult anyone! I do agree, though, that I would consider PR an "international" experience for a mainlander, regardless of the status. I'm excited about this possibility and hope at some point if we make the move I could meet a few of you in person. Many thanks to everyone for any contribution to my thread.

Call the USDA office in Puerto Rico about the hermit crab. We had a bird we brought with us and all we had to do is get a general health certificate from the Vet 10 days before arrival. I'm not so sure about critters like hermit crabs though. That's probably classified as wild life and might have more restrictions. Plus he might not even make it through the trip. Your best bet might be to convince your son that the crab might live longer if he left it with a trusted relative or friend. Then once you are here you can go to the beach together and search for another one.

While we are on the subject of animals, I don't know if you are an animal lover or not but if you are, brace yourself. The stray dog and cat situation is horrendous all over the island.

Utilities. I'm not sure how they are where you are looking to move but on a good part of the island they are very high, and continue to climb. They are also notoriously unreliable in a lot of places.

Doctors and health insurance in Juan and the surrounding area are reasonably good. Don't expect the level and quality of service you are used to though. A typical Dr. visit entails waiting for awhile in a room full of people.Sometimes for hours, sometimes not. Then when it's your turn you get your weight and BP done and go in the DR.'s office, sit down in a chair opposite his or her desk and you answer questions and talk back and forth. Then you get your prescription and you are on your way. There is no exam room where you wait for the DR. If you have to go to the hospital for any reason and you have to stay overnight, you have to bring your own pillow blankets and sheets. They are not provided for you. Oh, and it's VERY cold in the hospitals so bring more than you think you will need. My son in law is an operating room technition in Ponce and he took a picture of the thermostat in the operating room and it was 53 degrees.

If you lived in Brazil then you are probably used to the noise. It's everywhere in PR and it's essentially constant.

I can't help you with the schools or a Nanny. We did home schooling with our 9 year old daughter when we were there.

Thanks, Gregg. Again, very helpful--especially on the doctor front. I had fantastic medical care in Brazil--but I had a referral from a Brazilian friend--and I speak the language. That said, the hospital situation is similar I believe--and good to know.

As far as the noise--it's going to be a bit of an adjustment. We live in a city right now but our neighborhood is relatively quiet.

You're right on the hermit crab--just hate to lose him. He's a trooper.

I'm looking at Ocean Park primarily but would be open to Bayamon/Guaynabo--as close as I can get to San Juan. Dorado would be ideal for my son I think, since it would probably be the most similar to "suburban living," and we could have a house with a yard, but I don't think I can swing the commute unless I have live-in help, which I've never had before. Condado would be last option--I'm not sure I can stand the crowds--it's one of the reasons I've strayed from NYC and left San Fran!

Thanks for all! So appreciated.

Ashford Hospital in Condado is generally recognized as the best hospital on the island. I can tell you it's a hell of a lot better than any hospital I've ever been to in Europe (but then, that's a low standard). Seriously though, it's a good hospital by any standard. Beware the emergency room at the hospital in Santurce, however.

El presby  ( Ashford Presbeterian Hospital) in Condado has a childrens ER as well as a walk in minor care center and a woman's wellness center.. San Jorge is the best childrens hsptl and is near Ocean park...

Thanks! Appreciated!

you can find english speaking help fairly easily and a lot less$$ then in NY or San Fran.....Spanish speaking Dominicans are all over the place... usually charge about $50-60 a day... use them with caution..most are great, some are not. Like anywhere else in the world....

I live in Ocean Park (actually, just outside the gate).  First, check out labochinchosa.com.   It will answer a lot of your questions. Supermax is the grocery store on de diego. On calle loiza, steps from ocean park, we have a 24 hour walgreens and Topeka. Topeka is sort of a local walmart.

Clasificadosonline.com is the best place to find an apartment. If you don't speak spanish, you need to stay in Condado. Even in Ocean park limited spanish fluency can be an issue. McCleary is not really a business section, and all of the stores on Calle Loiza are either dominican or puerto rican with limited english fluency.

Doctors.....keep your doctor in the north and fly home. Literally. The healthcare in Puerto Rico is abysmal. You can easily wait for 12-14 hours (at least in the VA) in the ER if you go to the emergency room. The flight of doctors to the US has left us with the barely competent services.

If you have difficulty even changing your bank you will not last long here in my humble opinion. This is spanish speaking country with a caribbean approach to life. 90% of Americans who come here to "live" end up leaving within 3-6 months. There are definite tradeoffs to living in the caribbean. You can forget the amenities of North America and the conveniences of attentive and responsive customer service. It will take anywhere from 2-8 weeks to get your utilities up and running. It took me four weeks to get internet. (I suggest one link, avoid claro at all costs). 

Don't worry about quarantines and all that. The only "laws" that are enforced here are the ones that make money for the government (like enforcing the marbetes, or car inspection stickers). It is difficult to impossible to get the police to respond to anything, much less ticket or cite you for something like hermit crab possession. When entering the airport, you will see a sign about bringing animals to Puerto Rico....but you simply walk past it and exit the building, no one ever enforces it.

I know this posting sounds a bit cynical, but it is the reality of Puerto Rico. You need to come here with eyes wide open. This ain't kansas (or Massachusetts). If you are expecting polished, professional services, you will not be happy.

If you can deal with our lifestyle then you will be happy.It's a beautiful island....it is simply entirely different than living in the US.

Now, I'm off to the beach and grabbing a medalla (our local beer). Locals have drum and dance sessions in Ocean Park on weekends by a big bonfire, ocean park beaches are the most beautiful in San Juan.

Ciaou!

My name is John Moore and I am married. Her name is Nuran. I am looking for a water destination to retire. Florida is very expensive. Have you had any responses to the good questions you asked? I was looking in other overseas areas, but the wife likes the idea of puerto rico. I will not pester you, just looking for some info to start my search. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have any knowledge about shipping a car to the island?

PR is more expensive than Florida. Shipping a car is dealt with extensively in other posts.

Nomadlawyer is right on both counts. I used to live in PR and now live in Florida. Florida is much cheaper. Just liking the idea of moving to PR is not nearly a good reason to go there. You can be extremely happy there or extremely miserable there. Do your research. Visit, many times at length. Then decide. Go back through and read past posts on this forum and you'll learn a few things. All things people are asking have been extensively covered. Everybody has had varied experiences living on the island. But my best advice is to arm yourself heavily with knowledge. Happy reading.

We are moving to Ocean Park in January and I have 3 teen daughters if you need the occasional babysitter :)

oops, didn't see that this post was quite old

Hi we are from Florida and currently living on the beach in PR. Our bills are consistant with FL regarding power, water, cable etc.  The healthcare system is a little different and you should definitely look into that a bit before moving. I miss the creature comforts of Mainland Dr. appointments and emergency room trips! That said our rent for a gated, 3 story 3 bedroom house with water view and 2 min walking distance to ocean is about $1,000 a month. Many long term rentals are about "who you know" and aren't necessarily advertised online. Ex, we contacted a realtor in the area we wanted to live (with no advertised rentals) who knew the son of the owner to our current residence and made some "calls" which led to us renting a great, unadvertised home. Good luck!