Top 5 tips to live in Switzerland

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Switzerland.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Switzerland?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Switzerland!

Thank you in advance :)

Well, first, the obvious: Be prepared to shelve out a more than usual amount of money when you are settling in. Things may appear to be way too costly, ofcourse depending on where you are coming from. But, still, from supermarkets to health insurance, you would certainly notice high costs.
However, once you settle in a bit, you may find out ways to save on your expenses.For instance, some people living close to the borders may prefer going over to Germany or France for groceries or shopping, in general.
2.If you would need to use the public transport for commuting to work, you could take a monthly travel pass. You can also consider taking the Half-fare card for travelling all around the country at half costs for the entire year.
3.Knowing the local language would be advantageous. It's not that you cannot survive without it, but certainly, your daily life would be much easier with it.You can join a language school or conversation classes, if you like.
The best way though is to keep trying to talk to the locals in their language.Without talking regularly, you can't really learn the language. If you ever try to look for a new job, it may be difficult to find one without knowing German or French. Ofcourse, exceptions apply if you are working in a profession that does not require directly dealing with people speaking German.But,nevertheless, you would be expected to have basic knowledge.
4.Remember that bureaucratic tasks may take longer than expected.So, apply for your work visas(or other admin stuff) well in advance. I can only talk for myself though, and I certainly have faced a lot of problems and delays in such things.
5.Lastly, I would just encourage you to put in effort to imbibe the local culture, socialize with the locals,pick up the basic lingo,etc and enjoy your stay in Switzerland.

I know that all these points are very general, and comprise of the most basic things. But, maybe someone who has never been to Switzerland might as well get some ideas from this post.

For me the first thing an expat needs to do is realize they are not living back home. I hear it all the time. "This isn't the way we do it back home". No kidding. Could it possibly be because you aren't back home? First thing you should do is learn as much as you can about the culture of the country you are moving to and figure out if you can adapt to it. Simple things like church bells ringing seem to drive some people crazy. I hate seafood so moving to a tropical island where the main stay diet consists of seafood just isn't going to work.

Which brings me to the next part...food. Depending on where you are heading, the food may be totally different from what you are use to. For me there were many foods that were similar but not everything is available. If you like to cook as I do, be ready to adapt those recipes from home. Some will work. Others won't. For me the ones that didn't work were my favorites!

As menorca stated, money. Have a reserve before moving. Switzerland is really expensive. Planning ahead and having enough money to live on for a few months is necessary. You will soon learn where to go to save money on groceries and when sales are for clothing and household items. Farmers markets are great but not always the best for saving money. Do compare prices and be careful that you don't go overboard buying things. The market will be there next week. Have to add this proviso. Some people just cannot make it in a new country. Try to have enough set aside to get back home. It has happened to a few people I knew. They tried to adapt but just couldn't and were stuck without enough money to leave.

Language. If you don't know the language before arriving try to take a course in at least the basics. Once at your new home don't be afraid. Get out there and use it. Immerse yourself. I found that people I meet will be more than helpful while you struggle to ask for something rather than hit them with "Do you speak English?" right off the bat.

While it sometimes seems impossible to make new friends with the Swiss it can be done (I baked cookies for my neighbors. Food is a great bribe tool! I am now at the tu level with most of them). Until that day arrives don't forget the other expats around you. Most of us are friendly with only a few snobs tossed in the mix. We have probably gone through whatever it is you are dealing with. Don't be afraid to ask.

Apart form thing that generally apply to living abroad, I would give the following specific tips for Switzerland:
- Be organised. The Swiss are extremely organised. They plan ahead, they are on time for their meetings and appointments. Being late is a no-go, and pretending that your train was late double so, as trains are rarely late here.
- Speak the language. If you work in research, at a NGO or in a fully international oriented environment, English may do for the job, but not for the rest of living here. People speak (Swiss) German, French or Italian - learn it if you don't speak it!
- Enjoy the country. Switzerland has fabulous mountain areas, which allow for winter sports in winter and for hiking in summer. Public transport is excellent, even in remoter parts of the country, so you'll be able to get virually anywhere even without a car.
- Talking about public transport: buy a half fare card. Full price tickets are horribly expensive, with the half fare card, the fares are more or less reasonable.
- Switzerland is *expensive*. Take care that you get a wage that fits with the Swiss price levels.