Considering the idea of retiring to live in Greece

Hi
I am considering the idea of retiring to live in Greece.
I have never been there but they have a reciprocal superannuation arrangement with N.Z.
I would like to connect with expat New Zealanders or other if possible.
To begin with I would be interested in the house rental prices and general cost of living.
kind Regards
Jenny

Hi,just to ask you firstly....are you an EU citizen or do you have Greek citizenship?otherwise how will you stay here other than the 90 days allowed.It is probably best to take a long vacation here first to see if its where you want to be anyway.If a non EU person buys a house here for minimum of 250.000 they can can stay here and gain citizenship after 5 years if they continue to own the house,that was the deal under the previous government,hopefully it is still running now.And where would you want to live in Greece?Many Europeans would love to be able to live where you are.Rental prices are down right now,a little house-300,350,if you have 1.000 per month you can make it but on top you must add your private health care,its not so much and there are several good companies here which we have experience of,it all depends on your lifestyle.But Jenny,I have been here many years and especially as we get a little older we must be realistic about all the Greek Islands and the services available there.I live in Athens outskirts but have a house one and half hours from Athens airport and its near a lovely area,all facilities in Loutraki,sea,lake,proper small town and just a short trip to Athens,west of Athens with gorgeous mountain spa bathes from mountain water.If you want any more information please ask.

Hi Jenny,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Greece forum for more visibility and interaction with the other members. :)

Thanks

Priscilla

Hi, well there is a huge expat community here so that won't be a problem. House rentals will vary according to the part of Greece you look in. I don't know about the rest of Greece, but in Athens, the northern and southern suburbs are costlier than around the city center and western suburbs. The farther from the center, the more expensive
Good luck!

Here is a favorable place for some months (years?) settlement in South Peloponnese/ Gythion the Homer love refuge from Odysey.
I own a beachfront flats complex, all expats, enjoying theit stay in the summy and warm north.

Gythion is a perfect retirement destination  for  long or short stay

Why?

Mild winter  (no freeze) , long sunshine,  dry climate , and 7 months a year swimming possibility.

Low cost of living,  with rent  as low as 300 euros monthly for a furnished flat.

Healthy food, since Laconia is the olive and orange motherland in Greece. Local flee market every Friday for fresh fish and fruits / vegetables in season.

Easy access from Athens ( 3 hours drive), 80 km from International airport of Kalamata

A well organized local hospital.

Great social life with a well organized foreign community based in Gythion  (movie club, music activities, parties etc). English is spoken everywhere.

Stunning countryside, with scenery variety (from endless beaches to high mountain peaks) a still virgin landscape off the beaten path and the massive tourism. 

Enjoy

If you want to spend some careless time out of the big and crowded cities, Gythion is a heaven.  Enjoy a  stress free lifestyle,  and you will never get bored.  All times of the year, a long walk or cycling by the sea,   is always relaxing and the many activities keep you alive and happy. Free bikes and water sports, a modern gym, scuba diving and parachuting, dance schools, horse riding, sailing learning, trekking mountain routes, are possibilities   to exercise your mind and body. Of a unique traditional architectural beauty, the harbor is so cute that it is a must stop  for cruise ships in the Mediterranean.

Spend long lazy days on the waterfront veranda and cafes, mingle with locals in their folk festivals (dance and food) in the summer, explore the rich culture and history in the ancient Spartan, Roman  and Byzantine  monuments , attend theatrical  performances and lectures . Cultural activities can cover many interests. Sparta, the capital of the prefecture, is half an hour drive away.  Internet  wi-fi  free access, and possibility to participate with the owners in olive gathering  and  fishing with their little boat.
Efi
www.villadrossia.gr
and dozens of other photos to be sent to your email