Children

I am still trying to decide which city is best for us in Ecuador. One of the main factors will be activities for my 12 year old son. Does anyone know of a good hiphop school (Advanced classes; my son is at competition level; not necessarily looking to pursue competitions in Ecuador, but at least find a good teacher so he can continue classes) and if there are organized basketball leagues for kids outstide of school?

Some cities in Ecuador has what we call "Federación Deportiva" is a place where children and adults goes to play or learn how to play certain sport, for example:

Futbol
Basket
Volley-Ball
In Guayaquil we have softball

You will need to look by provinces (or states) Federacion Deportiva del Guayas, Federacion Deportiva de Pichincha, Federacion Deportiva Azuay, Federacion Deportiva de Manabí, etc.

About hip-hop maybe you can try asking at "Conservatorio de Musica de Guayaquil" Cuenca or Quito

facebook GoodLifeInEcuador

Thanks Maria. I will look into it. I know we don't want to be in Guayaquil. It's going to be Cuenca, Valle de Los Chillos or some place on the coast.

Hi Frenchy-

I accidentally deleted the postings on the thread about Canoa. There was one by someone who lived there (? Leonard) and had lots of helpful info. After more than six months of research I have decided that I will probably go to the Bahia/Canoa area and try to rent and see how I like it. Was interested to know more about availability and cost of modest places to rent there (Canoa). A good source of info about Bahia is Charlie (wandering bears)who lives in Bahia, has a school age kid who walks or bikes to school. He posts on Best place to live in Ecuador blog a lot.

Sue

Thanks, Sue... yes i have already talked to wandering bears  and got lots of info.

Is there any way I can get more info on rents in Canoa. Leonard's description sounded very appealing. Too bad  I deleted that email (by accident). He did say not to tell anyone about it or too many people might start showing up. Does anyone know him? I've never seen his posts before. Good luck with your search. It's have the fun:)

Sue

We just asked around town and found Canoa rents between $250 and $800 depending on view, location, and size. $350 seems to be a pretty standard rate for a 1bd a few blocks away from the ocean. I would recommend the areas just outside of town for peace and quiet. If you're too close to the beach and the center you have a lot of noise from the bars. If you are in the main part of town where most of the locals live you have a lot of roosters. South of town has lots of high end luxury places. North of town is mostly undeveloped and has a few cheaper rentals.