Trying to live with my girlfriend from Netherlands.

Hello

I currently live in South Africa and work as a DJ / producer. However recently one of my best friends and I sort of started being honest with each other and how we feel and now we really want to be together. The problem is she lives all the way out in the Netherlands...

We have been with each other for about 4 years now just talking with each other on IM and Skype and we even play online video games together to keep it feeling real. I'm planning on saving cash to visit her at the end of the year and hopefully eventually I can move to her city so we can be together. ( She isn't a stranger to me, I've been friends with her and some of her family + we all have the same friends. )

I would really appreciate it if anyone on this forum could give me advice on how to make this all work out I'm literally like caught up in despair feeling like it will never happen but we'd do anything to be together.

Welcome on board  :cheers:

You can check out the sticky topic "New to Holland" on the main forum which contains some important and useful links about this issue.

Happy searching!

Hi HarryWinter,

Have a look on the IND websit: www.ind.nl

I also moved to the Netherlands in 2010 to be with my partner.  There are many procedures that you have to follow to in the NL.  One of them is doing an exam in SA first. I have a sealed copy of Naar Nederland (DVDS & books) which is required for you to do your test in SA.  I can sell this to you.

You will have to do an Inburgeringscursus in NL if you want to stay here longer than 3 months.

All the best

Judy Allard :)

Hello Julia!

Hi thanks for the advice, how much is the Naar Nederland books and dvds and is the procedure hard at all or is it doable. I've spoken to some IRL friends and we all kind of assume Netherlands would be relatively easier to move into compared to a country like USA. My biggest fear right now is not making this work out.

Thanks

Harry

Hi harry, Nice story and good luck!

For the short visits you can have a < 3month visa but for longer and for permanent stay in NL it requires a bit more work and €€€€.
Such as taking the exam in your home country €350 and after apply for the (what used to be called) MVV €750.
Once you have that you're still required to do some other language course which i around €450/month for a minimum of 6 months. And once you passed that you should be ok for a while.
I've been in a similar situation and found that it's rather complicated to get it all done nowadays, the Dutch immigration is really making things more complicated. A solution for me was to use the Belgium route...costed a lot less than the regular procedure in NL and it was done very quickly.
You might wanna look in to that as well.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Harry,

I reckon if you study hard, the SA exam shouldn't be too difficult!! When I did the exam in 2009, I wasn't sure if I had passed, cos I only studied the Naar Nederland for one month & passed!!!!

If your girlfriend is in NL, she can have a look on the IND website & see if you still require Naar Nederland, (as far as I  know, one still needs it).   If so, you can have it for 50 Euro.  I can post it to her, she needs to get in contact with me.

It's not easy emigrating to NL, I know many people that have encountered major problems!  Rob SIs has a very good idea!!!

Regards,

Judy Allard

I actually went to the dutch embassy today and the guy there wasn't very helpful. He told me that netherlands is not open for immigration and that I go to ind.nl for more info... He was kind of implying that I have to get a job there first and then apply online ( which is fairly obvious and something I already new. ) But I was expecting him to tell me something that rob told me. Still trying though!!

Just marry her mate, should be smooth sailing then

Hi HarryWinter,

Kindly write to me on: XXX

Kind regards,

Judy Allard

Hi Judy

Sorry for the late reply, I got flooded with work. I will send you a mail just I don't know if you still need the books, maybe it's only for applying for citizenship now or so?

Thanks

Harry

Hello, i'm in the same situation, i was wondering if someone here could help me find an au pair job to get there.

Glad9 wrote:

Hello, i'm in the same situation, i was wondering if someone here could help me find an au pair job to get there.

If looking for a job I suggest you check out the positions advertised in the jobs section of the forum in the green banner at the top of this age. You can also place your CV there for free.

@Glad9 > please avoid duplicate post. I invite you to continue your topic > here <.

My situation is also synonymous with HarryWinter.

My Dutch boyfriend and I have been planning to live together in The Netherlands but the procedure is quite tedious due to learning the language as one of the prerequisite. Acquiring the language course is like looking for a needle in a haystack in a non-European country. As much as possible, pass the language exam in just one take because the course and test are truly expensive.

I sincerely need a Dutch language teacher because books are not sufficient enough to impart knowledge. Dutch words are quite difficult to pronounce especially the "g" and "ch" :'(

Like HarryWinter, I need to make the relationship with my Dutch boyfriend work. We are both left hanging on what to do so I can live with him. Ah well, the things we do for love.....

Welcome on board  :cheers:

I read your profile j3ny and you make me laugh  :D

You're a funny person.

The Dutch language can be very hard to learn and your are right that books alone are not sufficient enough.
Did you contact the Dutch Embassy if they know if there are some " Dutchies" who can help you? Or a Nederlandse Vereniging?

there is a good Dutch course online called learndutch.org. It is a series of YouTube videos produced by a Dutch guy. Have a look and see what you think.

You be aware that the Netherland's government is tightening up on people who try and enter the Netherlands through the back door from Belguim.

I should say that many of use ( including myself ) are in  the same situation as HarryWinter.

I just don't know what proper path to use in order to be with my girlfriend in the Netherland.

One thing everybody in the forum is admitting; it's very difficult to get in.

Sometimes i even think it's unfair.

Can anybody advise what Online Course i should have to start learning Dutch?
i just miss Taalbureauhuijts topic regarding last minutes enrollment yesterday.

Thanks,
JC