Top 5 tips to live in Denmark

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Denmark.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Denmark?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Denmark!

Thank you in advance :)

The best move, the tip number one, might be to go and visit the website dedicated to foreigners and edited by the Danish administration:
https://www.nyidanmark.dk/

Tip 1: buy a bike on arrival. The bike is the best method of transport and will help you explore the city in greater depth. It is also a lot cheaper than public transport.
Tip 2: don't have high housing expectations. There are a ton of people and not enough apartments in Copenhagen. If you are searching for a place to rent, get in fast and settle. Don't search for the 'perfect' place, you won't find it.
Tip 3: get your CPR (healthcare/personal ID card) as soon as possible. You are useless without it.
Tip 4: learn to like Tuborg or Carlsberg. They are pretty much your only drinking choices.
Tip 5: be prepared for 8 month winters, noisy neighbours, lack of common courtesy, smoking indoors, lack of choice in grocery stores, long waiting periods and processing times, construction work and small bathrooms.

Rhianon, I have no idea where you come from but  lack of courtesy? smoking indoors? lack of choice in grocery stores? long waiting periods and processing times?

As for me , my advices would be....
1) go to meetup groups
2) go to the kommune as fast as possible to get your danish lessons kicking, your cpr and everything else that will make your life easier
3) Beer and smorebrod. No need to say anything else.
4) Dont marry a Dane ( been there, done that :D)

Enjoy your stay :)

Danish people have to be some of the least courteous people I have ever met, for example; the line culture. It is each to their own here, no one cares how long you have been waiting they just want in first. I have been in the country for 4 years and am married to a Dane who happens to agree, so does almost ever person I know.
Absolutely everything has been processed more than twice as long here than in any other country I have lived whether it was waiting for my visa, residency permit, bank account, SKAT or even waiting for the rejsekort to tank up online. 
I will agree that Føtex does indeed have a good selection however there aren't as many Føtex stores as there are Nettos or Faktas etc which often have bare shelves and terrible fresh produce.
Smoking indoors I was referring to a lot of bars, not all but a lot do allow it and more people smoke inside their apartments than I have experienced elsewhere.
The beer selections around Christmas, I presume you are talking about Julebryg? Often manufactured by Turborg and Carlsberg.
I am not knocking Denmark. These are tips based on mine, my friends and families opinions. Obviously your experience was just different to mine.

Where to start... this is about a topic about the 5 things to know when someone lives in Denmark, so it is supposed to be objective. The fact your husband and whole social circle agrees with you is not an argument or proof and this is not a contest, so I will not enumerate who agrees with me, I have no beef with you.

This is about what someone average and random should know about Denmark or living in Denmark. I never thought you were knocking Denmark, and even if you were, you are entitled to you opinion, as long as it is stated as an opinion and not a fact. That is why I posted my opinion, to bring a balance.

The smoking thing is allowed only in small places and bodegas.And as for them smoking in their homes, it is their prerogative and not you or me have a saying in that :P
The processes may be faster in Australia, but try Greece or Italy or even France...:P I think the Danish system works pretty well and fast. I had my name legally changed in a week.

The beer, thingy, I m happy with the selections. Obviously I am not a smoker or a drinker so these are not issues for me.

The word please does not exist in Danish, but neither the word hygge in any other language. Like everywhere, there are people with class, and others with no class. People with manners, people without. I like that everyone is minding their own business.   I dont like the "this is mine and this is yours" frame of mind that exists, even in marriages, I feel it kills intimacy. But again this is subjective.

I like the free medical system ( I hate the lack of knowledge most doctors have). I agree that the schooling system is very lose, but than again, they dont seem to be doing that bad, after all.

I hate other things. I hate the lack of elevators for example. The expensive rents. I love the fact the kids have free activities in the afternoon and free dental care. I hate the fact the activities are just an adult playing with his ipad and not really teaching them anything.
I  hate the fact that they dont allow pets in the apartments ( mostly).
I hate the fact they charge for water in some places.

On another hand I love salted lakrids :P

How receptive is Danish against Muslim people, like me?  I am seriously consider to move to Denmark, depending on the result from recent job interview.

Amirul.i wrote:

How receptive is Danish against Muslim people, like me?  I am seriously consider to move to Denmark, depending on the result from recent job interview.

:offtopic: 

I suggest that you open a new topic thread as this thread is about top 5 tips to live in Denmark.
Thank you.

Hello all,

Kind reminder!  ;)

Please keep in mind the subject is about Top 5 tips to live in Denmark.

Thank you,

Marjorie

1. Learn to like beer. Completely incorrect that Tuborg and Carlsberg are the only choices, at least if you are in Copenhagen. Look at bars like Mikkeller, The Black Swan, Ørsted Ølbarx Søernes Ølbar, Tryk Bar etc - plenty of interesting selection, both imported European beers and craft beers.
2. Prepare for changeable weather and dark winters. If you're from somewhere like the UK you'll be used to it, but don't move here expecting summer to arrive on time or at all. Plus side, if summer is a good one then they are brilliant as there's so much to do outside in good weather.
3. Get a bike. Look at dba.dk for deals or even Free Your Stuff Copenhagen Facebook group where you can find loads of things that people at giving away, sometimes including bikes.
4. Make sorting out your CPR number the first thing you do upon arrival.
5. Join networking groups like meetup.com or one of the groups on internations.org. Although the latter especially is aimed for expats there are plenty of Danes who attend too, at least there are in Copenhagen.

I agree with you.