Advice on Shanghai

My husband and I have the opportunity to move our family (kids 13,11) from Michigan to Shanghai this coming summer.  We are all excited about the move, but have two main concerns, air and water pollution. 
We have done some research and understand about air/water purifiers and wearing masks outside during high polluted days.  I am curious as to how many days out of a year are people advised to say indoors?  Our reason for moving is to take in as much as we can and have an incredible life experience in the Asian Pacific.  We certainly can't do that if we are advised to stay indoors the majority of the time.

I appreciate all feedback.

The air pollution is not so serious as you thought, because lots of rain in spring and summer can wash off the pollution source in air. For the water pollution, the city water is OK. And if you come shanghai, you probably spend little time in Shanghai and travel somewhere else in China. China is very large, just enjoy it with you family. Good luck !

Thank you for your reply.  This is a big move for us and it makes me feel better hearing from someone who lives there and has first hand experience.  At this point we are waiting for the numbers to come in to see if it's going to work.  Keeping our fingers crossed!
Thanks again!

Shanghai do get somedays with air pollution but compare to Beijing and surround area, you don't need worry too much. :)