Top 5 tips to live in Fiji

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Fiji.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Fiji?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Fiji!

Thank you in advance :)

1) If you don't feel uncomfortable doing so, make a penpal from Fiji who has been there for at least ten years or so, especially one who maybe living in or around about the place you intend to stay so they can give you an insider view.
Note: Use a Pseudony or Pen name, and don't away numbers or addresses, and if they start asking you for money or favours, then either make it clear you can't, or block them. Most people are safe, but just to be on the safe side.

2) Find out all you can from sites/blogs that speak of the hotels, restaraunts and hospitals, or anything else you fancy looking up. But take it with a pinch of salt and not always the whole truth.

3) Fiji is a friendly place, people aren't stuck-up as a whole (although you'll get the odd one, as we do anywhere in the planet), but beware of those who get too friendly too quick. You'll use find them in the city/town centres, shopping areas, and definatelt night spots. They'll either be sword-swellers or flogging stolen goods or drugs. They greet you, shake your hand, maybe for a prolonged period, ask you name, ask you where your from, are you enjoying your time here, tell you that you seem like a nice person, and then drop it on you. This drop it on you could be getting you to accept a bolser wood sward with you name on it, or ask you if you could spare them a couple of bob for a bite, maybe slip you a wrapped up 'hot' item for a few quid, maybe if you look the type some hash.
In such cases just don't reveal anything apart from a greeting and 'Thanks, but no thanks' and keep walking. if possible take a trusted local friend with you. Girls and guys, be especially warned the 'bad' locals can be good at deception and befriending you for free drinks and a good time, not to forget obliging you to some cash.

4) When shopping and asked by a shop assistant if you can be helped, then simply and politely say that your just browsing and feel free in shops (although all won't be able to do this) to drive a bargain. They'll most likely tell you that they'll give you a 'special price', but 'yeh right' its still a killer price, so have go at haggling if you feel game.

5) Do ask trusted locals for the best deals when it comes to shopping (groceries), dental stuff, hospital (its only basic in Fiji, not at the tertiary level - no neurological, quite limited cardiological or nuclear medicine, i.e. chemotherapy and radiotherapy). Take out medical insurance. Keep common medicines at home, i.e for strong medicine, flu and tummy issues. You can get these by an large at the several local chemists in town. Oh, yeh and keep up with the mosquitoe repellent.

My name's Jonathan Sharma, a British citizen, bron and brought in England,now holding duel citizenship as I lived in Fiji for about 23 years, and currently out of the country, though I live and serve in the mission field. Feel free to drop me a line and I'll be happy to share what little I know from these years if it can help you - [email protected]
Cheers : )

1) If you don't feel uncomfortable doing so, make a penpal from Fiji who has been there for at least ten years or so, especially one who maybe living in or around about the place you intend to stay so they can give you an insider view.
Note: Use a Pseudonymn or Pen name, and don't away numbers or addresses, and if they start asking you for money or favours, then either make it clear you can't, or block them. Most people are safe, but just to be on the safe side.

2) Find out all you can from sites/blogs that speak of the hotels, restaraunts and hospitals, or anything else you fancy looking up. But take it with a pinch of salt and not always the whole truth.

3) Fiji is a friendly place, people aren't stuck-up as a whole (although you'll get the odd one, as we do anywhere in the planet), but beware of those who get too friendly too quick. You'll use find them in the city/town centres, shopping areas, and definatelt night spots. They'll either be sword-swellers or flogging stolen goods or drugs. They greet you, shake your hand, maybe for a prolonged period, ask you name, ask you where your from, are you enjoying your time here, tell you that you seem like a nice person, and then drop it on you. This drop it on you could be getting you to accept a bolser wood sward with you name on it, or ask you if you could spare them a couple of bob for a bite, maybe slip you a wrapped up 'hot' item for a few quid, maybe if you look the type some hash.
In such cases just don't reveal anything apart from a greeting and 'Thanks, but no thanks' and keep walking. if possible take a trusted local friend with you. Girls and guys, be especially warned the 'bad' locals can be good at deception and befriending you for free drinks and a good time, not to forget obliging you to some cash.

4) When shopping and asked by a shop assistant if you can be helped, then simply and politely say that your just browsing and feel free in shops (although all won't be able to do this) to drive a bargain. They'll most likely tell you that they'll give you a 'special price', but 'yeh right' its still a killer price, so have go at haggling if you feel game.

5) Do ask trusted locals for the best deals when it comes to shopping (groceries), dental stuff, hospital (its only basic in Fiji, not at the tertiary level - no neurological, quite limited cardiological or nuclear medicine, i.e. chemotherapy and radiotherapy). Take out medical insurance. Keep common medicines at home, i.e for strong medicine, flu and tummy issues. You can get these by an large at the several local chemists in town. Oh, yeh and keep up with the mosquitoe repellent.

My name's Jonathan Sharma, a British citizen, bron and brought in England,now holding duel citizenship as I lived in Fiji for about 23 years, and currently out of the country, though I live and serve in the mission field. Feel free to drop me a line and I'll be happy to share what little I know from these years if it can help you - [email protected]
Cheers : )

1.  Don't buy property in Fiji until you've lived in Fiji for at least a few months. A year or more is even better.  The best property deals are NOT on the internet.

2.  Visit Fiji and talk with expats who were in a similar to yours five and ten years ago.  Learn from their experiences.

3. Don't overestimate one's desire to live in a remote location.  Many expats who first move to a remote island in Fiji later move to Viti Levu to be closer to civilization.

4. Be patient.  Competence and professionalism in government and business is often lacking, and most things take longer.  If someone wants things to be like the U.S., they shouldn't move to Fiji.

5.  Understand Fiji's income tax laws before moving.  The Fiji government taxes all residents, including expats, on WORLDWIDE income - not just income derived in Fiji.  They may or may not respect tax arrangements of foreign retirement programs such as the U.S. Roth IRA or Traditional IRA.  Much of this is untested and unclear.

I found this info very helpful! Cheers to everyone who contributed.

I appreciate the comments thanks! anything helps.