PR in June! Need rental advice please

I'd like to vacation in PR for the whole month of June, 2015.  I've got a family of 5, but would like room for another 2 or 3 people if we have visitors.  A furnished house or apartment within walking distance to the beach and very fast internet would be perfect.  I'm totally unsure about neighborhood choices, but expat-friendly areas is preferred since we don't speak Spanish very well.  Also, is car rental possible?  I could do Avis or Budget at $50 a day, but would rather something a bit more economical.  Thanks in advance!

Hello Minshall,

Welcome on board!

To start, I suggest you post an add in the Houses for rent in Puerto Rico section this can increase your chances finding an accomodation.

Same for car rental you are invited to post in the Vehicules classifieds in Puerto Rico.

Good Luck  :)

Marjorie

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Renting a car is no problem, all major car rental companies are present at the San Juan airport.

On 'my' side of the island (east) I would recommend Palmas del Mar. It's a big gated community directly at the beach and there are several amenities like a golf course, marina, several restaurants. Google "Palmas del Mar vacation rentals" and you will find what you're looking for.
In Palmas de Mar you will get along with English without a problem.

Of course there are other areas on the island. You should check out f.i. Rincon on the west coast or the small islands off the coast on this side, Culebra and Vieques.

You could try Coco Beach in Rio Grande. I believe that belongs to Trump.

I would also suggest Palmas Del Mar in Humacao.  It's beautiful, has private English speaking school for kids (Palmas Academy).  I have stayed here several times and am planning on making the move this year also with my family.  I found this to be a very safe environment with lots of accommodations and not that far from many major areas.  Many are retired seniors and tourists.  Almost all seemed to speak English in my visits including staff at restaurants, stores, etc.  If you google Palmas Del Mar you will find a bunch of information.  I would suggest contacting a real estate agent in Palmas, there are many.  Tell them what you are looking for, they can send you some pics and prices.  Perhaps you can do much work over the internet/email before you go.  Good luck!

Do you have experience in PR and, if so, do you already have an idea of what kind of experience you are looking for? For example, do you just want to hang out at the beach in your spare time, or do you want to be close to history, culture, restaurants, etc.? Do you want to be in an expat friendly area (with mostly Puerto Ricans), or an area with mostly other expats?

Keep in mind that renting a car in PR is very expensive.

We rent vehicles from Dollar Rental, while the daily rental is reasonable, the PR insurance is very expensive.

Check for rentals on airbnb.com or homeaway.com.

dcarterbriscoe, Can you get a reasonable monthly car rental rate?  We are looking to come down longer next time and  don't want to pay a fortune on car rentals.

Hi

I'm looking to move June/July and found this on craigslist.  It is Aguada...15 minute drive to the beach in Aguadilla and 45 to Cabo Rojo.  Not exactly what you want, but may be inexpensive.

puertorico.craigslist.org/apa/4896668476.html

Good luck!