Job situation in Iceland

How plentiful are technical jobs in iceland and what is the healthcare like?

geo5877 wrote:

How plentiful are technical jobs in iceland and what is the healthcare like?

I suggest that you read through the posts in the categories list on the right hand side of this page.There is plenty of good information there. Your biggest problem will be language as you will need to learn it before even looking for a job.

it would be helpful to clarify what kind of technical job you are looking for. Engineers are currently struggling but there are still IT jobs to be had.

Hi:

Thank you so much for replying.  I do have IT skills and skills in electronics and related fields.   
I have some college level training in computer science and project management.  Would you know of any companies or cities it would be best to target?    Thanks again for responding. :)

you do realize how small Iceland is, right? Only Reykjavik is officially classed as a "city" (borg). The rest are towns (bær). I even put Rvk in quotes because the entire region, including neighboring Kópavogur, Hafnarfjörður, and Mossfellsbær, is still only around 200 thousand people.

There is of course work to be had in places like Akureyri(about 16k inhabitants) or Egilsstaðir (a bit over 2000), but almost any company with an international eye (and therefore likely to hire a non-Icelandic speaker) is going to be in the Reykjavik area.

You can browse jobs on http://www.mbl.is/atvinna/ to get an idea, but many jobs aren´t actually posted- they're by word of mouth.

Here's also a list of companies that are members of the chamber of commerce. You can check out companies operating in your field of interest and write to them directly.

http://www.chamber.is/about-us/members/member-list

Thanks ECS, no i didn't know that.  Well that makes things about easier, focusing one place.  Also, thanks very much for the links.  I am having a look at them.  :)  How easy is the language to learn?

-Geo.

geo5877 wrote:

How easy is the language to learn?

-Geo.

language learning depends on you. Some people learn it in a few months, some have been here for decades and still don't speak it at all.

You do know that if you are not an EU / EEA citizen you need a work permission and resident permit in Iceland and getting one can be extremely hard.