Psychology Jobs in Norway

Hi there,
I am a clinical and forensic psychologist thinking about moving to Norway and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the market is there, if there is possibilities and so on.
I am aware I have to be fluent on Norwegian to be able to work.
Anyone who could share is experience.

ethel.engo wrote:

Hi there,
I am a clinical and forensic psychologist thinking about moving to Norway and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the market is there, if there is possibilities and so on.

Hello ethel.engo and welcome to Expat.com

I invite you to please read our articles in our Guide : Work in Norway so as to gather some infos on the work market there.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Yes the language is very important especially in the medical field. For further information you may check the websites below.

SAK- for authorization or licensure

NAV- Seeking Work in Norway Information and Guide

utdanning- information on education and occupation

It is ideal that when deciding to relocate choose a location that has several health facilities to increase your chances of finding hospitals or clinics to affiliate with.

If you want to work in forensic psychology, the job possibilities are quite limited as few of such positions exist. I am not sure they would use a foreigner for those anyway, even if by law they could.

More generally, Norway is lacking psychologist and the like, there are long waiting queues, both in the private and public sector. Since it is such a specialized field, it would be good though to discuss with professionals of the sectors, you may find contacts at their professional association: http://www.psykol.no/

ethel.engo wrote:

Hi there,

Hi ethel.engo,

The bigger cities have actually a shortage of psychologist who can speak English and serve the expat/ immigrant community.  I tried to find for month an English speaking counselor in Bergen for my son- without success!

Not sure, what bureaucratic hurdles it involves to go self-employed, but there is for sure a market...