Hockey in Madrid

We are moving to Madrid for a 2 year assignment and was wondering if there was competative hockey there for my 13 yr old son. How many rinks are there, do they have travel hockey, and do they have training camps? Any info would be great.

Perharps you should have a look to the spanish hockey federation? I am pretty sure you'll find a list to hockey clubs in Madrid http://www.rfeh.com/

Thanks for the response, but I was looking for ice hockey. One forum/blog on another site mentioned a new rink opening in 2009 in the area of La Vaguada. Do you know if this is so?

I cannot speak for Madrid, but there is ice hockey here in Barcelona, so there should be something in Madrid.  It will be no where near the caliber you would find in the US or Canada, but it does exist, he may end up playing for the city team.  I'll ask what ice hockey is called in Spanish and see what we can find.  The Spanish and Catalan mostly play field hockey if they play hockey at all.

Thank you so much.....This is the one issue my son has against the move."Can I still play hockey?" It's not a deal breaker but it means a lot to him so I'd like to find out.

OK, I think it would be called hockey sobre hielo....so we can both search and see what we can find.

Cheers,

O

If you are still wondering about hockey in Madrid, email me via my username at cnio.es and I will try to fill you in on the options.

Michael

Michael, it would be great if you could keep the discussion on-line so that others can find the information too!

Sorry, you are right. The short answer is that the guy who runs the Spanish ice hockey federation lives downstairs from me.

The long answer is that there IS youth ice hockey here, played in the local clubs. However, there are only 7 or 8 local clubs in Spain and the league is shared between Spain and France.

The nearest ice hockey club to Madrid is in Majadahonda, just out to the west of Madrid.

There is a lot more in-line hockey in Spain than ice hockey (for obvious reasons). We run a recreational in-line hockey club here in Madrid called the Pinguinos (the only club of its type that exists in Madrid) for anyone that is interested. About half the players are expats from somewhere.

I feel your sons concerns its important for kids to stick to their hobbies ,and interests.I love hockey i just wish the NHL would do a world tour so i could go watch a game or 2.Well i guess im asking for too much thats why i have internet its my life line with life back home.Good luck finding him a club i hope it goes well for you and your family.

Hi there.
We are considering a move from Paris, France to Madrid and our two children, 12 and 8, play hockey here for a club just outside Paris. I`d be interested in knowing more about this from those of you who were having a conversation back in January.... `Mtress`, if your neighbor was able to give you any new information I`d be very interested ! Thanks.

Boulogne wrote:

Hi there.
We are considering a move from Paris, France to Madrid and our two children, 12 and 8, play hockey here for a club just outside Paris. I`d be interested in knowing more about this from those of you who were having a conversation back in January.... `Mtress`, if your neighbor was able to give you any new information I`d be very interested ! Thanks.

Hi,

I think I could help, though I have moved house and he isnt my neighbour any more! I know that "madmuffy"'s son did play for Majadahonda in the end after I left her contact details with the guy from the federation.

Send me an email with your details and I will try to get them in touch with you.

Michael

I know it is not the done thing to post on a thread so old...never mind. Also, I know that the original question was about ice-hockey but people searching for field hockey will surely find this thread too searching for "hockey madrid"...

My wife and I joined the Club Hockey Pozuelo (15 minute drive from Madrid) at the start of this season.

I just remembered how we found it tricky to find out about hockey in Madrid so thought that I'd put up a post before the start of next season.

The club has a great level of men's and women's hockey and a thriving junior section with a real welcoming, friendly family feeling.

Although the club is in a very affluent area you don't need to have a Ferrari parked on your driveway to be able to enjoy the club. It is a very affordable club to be a member of and the fund-raising events throughout the year help to keep players' costs down.

Here is a link to the "contact us" section of the club's website...http://www.hockeypozuelo.com/contacto/contacto.shtml...

If you want to have a look where the club is then you will find it on a complex called Polideportivo Valle de las Cañas...BUT!!!...if you put that into Google map then it doesn't send you to quite the right place so search for "Camino de Alcorcón a Pozuelo, Pozuelo de Alarcón, España" instead and you'll see hockey pitch next to the athletics track and tennis courts...:D

See you down there...

I know this is an old post, but thought someone out there may have some updated information.  I'm moving with my family to Madrid next year and my 11 year old son would like to continue playing Ice Hockey.  It looks like there is one rink and hockey club that may have youth hockey teams, but I couldn't find a good contact person or email address to get in touch with someone to find out more about their youth hockey programs.

Does anyone out there have any info or contacts for youth hockey programs in Madrid area?

thanks

Hello dmshefter,

Welcome to Expat-Blog..:)

I would advise you to start a new discussion in the Spain forum so that you can get better response as you can see this discussion is quite old.

You can also post an advert in the Activities in Madrid,maybe you can get in contact with members who are looking for the same activity in Madrid.

Thank you
Yuveshen

pictolin wrote:

I love hockey i just wish the NHL would do a world tour so i could go watch a game or 2.Well i guess im asking for too much thats why i have internet its my life line with life back home.

Being Canadian, no wonder you love ice hockey.
Despite the fact that it was first played on skates in England, by the early 20th century (1870), “Canadian rules” had reshaped the sport.

Got the chance to go see  'The NY Rangers' at Madison Square Garden and it was fun.

:up: