Opening / operating a business

Hi
I am a EU citizen and have worked in IT for many years, traveling to work in different countries. I am looking for a new "base" and was wondering what people's experiences are opening a business, operating a business, and eventually closing a business in Bulgaria. In particular I am interested in knowing about costs and filing requirements/paperwork as compared to doing so in other countries. If there are any IT freelancers there I would love to hear about your experiences but would be grateful to hear from any entrepreneurs/self-employed types. Thank you in advance for any response.
John

I had also thought about categorizing under "Work" sub-forum but decided "Formalities" seemed more appropriate.

Opening a business is relatively cheap and quick in Bulgaria. My husband opened his web development business a few months ago. He hired an accountant to open it for him, and I think with all of the state fees for registration it cost around 500 bgn and took about a week. You fill out a form, requesting a name. Once that is approved you open a bank account and fill out another form registering yourself. It is a bit more expensive if you have to register for VAT.

My husband has his accountant file taxes each month. She charges about 120 bgn a month and is a wealth of information, besides filing and paying his taxes. You will have about 25% due in taxes each month (15% on your salary for health and disability, and 10% on your total income), and if you employ others, you will have to pay their health taxes. I am not sure the cost of VAT, as we are not registered yet.

If you plan to have employees here, there are a LOT of rules. I am not sure how it is in other places in Europe, but I was very surprised by how limited companies here regarding which hours their employees can work and everything down to what category of tickets a business can purchase for trips is regulated.

It cost 377 Lev to open a company, the VAT number is asked by the accountant and it's free, it takes a week. There are people not in this foum who are IT and work from home here.
I give you an exemple that my accountant give to all the clients that are self-employed like consultant or IT etc.

If you make 50000 Lev a year you deduct the bills and you'll pay before the 30th of March 10% of taxes you don't pay it every month.
then you pay 5% divident you have the whole year to pay this.
as a manager you pay 108 Lev a month for health care and pension

I'll send you her name to ask her all the questions you want

Hi sihemt
regarding
"I'll send you her name to ask her all the questions you want"
please do private message me that info
Thank you

I did. look at your messages