Good primary school in Auckland

Dear all, does anyone know which primary school is good in Auckland? Students get good academic results & move on to a good secondary school.

My kids have attended 2 primary schools and 1 intermediate in the past 4 years.  I found Parnell Primary to be poor, for a variety of reasons from teachers to facilities.  Both children struggled there.  The intermediate school for the Parnell zone has such a poor reputation that very few parents planned to send their children there after primary. 

We moved them to Freemans Bay Primary after 1 year and found it to be far superior and a great school.  Very good diversity of students.  Great leadership in Sandy Jenkins, the principal.  Young and energetic teachers.  My youngest has attended years 4-6 there and done well.  My older son attended years 5-6 there and has now been at Ponsonby Intermediate for years 7-8 and has done well.  He likes the students and most of his teachers.  Lots of activities and a good balance of core subjects and athletics/arts. 

We are in the Ponsonby Intermediate/Western Springs College zone and have done a lot of talking with other parents and most are very happy with all the schools in the zone.

Thank you wellmana for your sharing will check out Ponsonby. I have also heard that Gladstone pri is a good primary school too? Have u heard anything? I am looking at that area because we may live there. Still keeping our options open. Thanks again

Have not heard of Gladstone Primary, sorry.  Where is it?

It's at Mt Albert.As I am still very new to Auckland, could you tell me where is a safe area to live in Auckland? My family plans to move there next year so we are checking things out. Thanks.

Mt Albert is great area.  IMO all of Auckland is safe.  Some might say there are some southern parts of the city that get a bit rough but I think they're fine.  The two most important considerations are your housing budget and where you work and your tolerance for traffic.  If you work in the central city the traffic is very difficult during rush hour so unless you are happy to take public transport or sit in your car, you should live close to where you work. 

Housing is very expensive city wide, but generally cheaper the further south you go and the further you get from the city center.

Thanks wellmana. How did ur kids cope with e change of environment? Want to hear from your experience. Did u recce NZ before your family moved there?

kids did great.  only researched via internet before moving here.  was only supposed to be for 6 months, but liked it so much we decided to stay.

Nice to hear that. Thanks again.

Hi wellmana, do your family have any problem living in Ponsonby as I know tgere are many bars there. My concern is if I want to enrol my kids to freemans bay primary I need to live there. Which street or area would you recommend to live in but away from e busy night lives.

Schools on the North Shore are good.

Hi 0220gorudi, may I know which particular school would that be?

Hi, schools such as Murray's Bay Primary, Takapuna Primary, Devonport Primary, Albany School. Thanks

Ok thanks.