U.S. Vacation Visa for Dominican Girlfriend

Greetings guys this inquiry is a favor to my brother who is not a member of this blog. I know I will get the usual, she has a fat chance in hell on getting a vacation visa to the U.S. But I simply want to know the process required of applying for the visa from A-Z regardless of wether she gets it or not. I will let him worry about the details she needs in order to appear more appealing for the qualification.
      I Just need to know what form needs to be filled out for the visa application and what qualification she must meet in order to show solvency and prove she will not be a risk for staying. As far as I know she has a 7 year old daughter, she has a small salon, and lives with her mom in the capital. I have no info on bank accounts, property ownership, or business incorporations. This is the reason I'm appealing to your wisdom in order to help my brother in his quest. Thank you all in advance.

Boy I know it is an involved process, a long process, an $$$ process.  I am sure Planner will be along with the particulars.

Good luck to her but you are right....fat chance in hell

Bob K

Sorry Planner cannot help on this one.  I suggest going to the US websites for info.  I've never looked into it or done it,  I am a Canadian............LOL  And I am sponsoring no one...............

You should NEVER sponsor anyone unless  you want a life time of headaches.

Bob K

Start with the DS -260 online non inmigrant visa application

Thank you Cloop will start there :) what do you guys mean by sponsor? Is that like an affidavit of support like we use in theU.S? I don't think a sponsorship is required for a vacation; only residency would require that document. After 10 years of being a resident or the person becoming a citizen, eventually absolves you of all responsibility. :D

Well Massage, my girlfriend, (at the time) owns property,
has her own accounting business,employs 2 people,
has a bank account, with lots of pesos, kind of supports her Mom
in the campo, no criminal record,
is a member of the National Police Malicia (or whatever it's called), has 3 children.
She also supports the kids. 4 years ago, we applied for
a visitor's visa for Canada. (which is more "lenient" than USA).
Turned down 3 times.
Finally got it after we met the new Canadian Ambassador
and explained our situation & applied again.
Good luck to you!

Have your brother JOIN the blog.   He can then read all the threads pertaining to his quest.  I know you want to help him, but he can help himself without you as a go - between.   That way he can answer most of his questions himself.   All the info is there.    Then he can ask questions of the members of the blog.  Easier on him & easier on you.

Wow!!! Thomas! All that and they still turned her down! Jeezzzz! What do they want for Christ Sake! Some folks just want to go to Disney and come back to the Caribbean. It seems that the U.S. feels everyone wants to stay there. I have been here for 30+ years and I'm ready to go!!!

My brother asked me for one more favor guys.....he wants to know if there is anything he can do to help her along in her quest for the vacation visa? Invitation letter, proof of his financial situation in the U.S....etc... Thanks again to all who contributed with your wisdom and personal stories :cool:

Thanks for the advice gypsy. I will see if he wants to join up, it would be a good experience for him. Will send the forum website link to him :D

Yes do have him sign up and then it will be easier for him to get some hopefully useful information.

Bob K

Hey Massage!
I did all that & much, much more.
It really sucks!
Canada & USA both treat illegal
immigrants better than their retired or disabled
veterans.
But when people try the legal way to even visit, they get refused.
VERY sad but true.
Again, good luck!

Yes, some may have issues visiting Canada but others do not.  We have seen a number of Dominicanos able to visit Canada.  In the past we brought my wife's mother up to visit for ~ 6 months and we have recently seen other Dominicana's mother up for a long visit.

I should also mention that these visitors only spoke Spanish, no problems in the USA, but Canadian immigration asked for help!

I visited Canada a few years back and it was like dealing with a bunch of terrorists impersonating Canadian border patrol officers.

dreamtime wrote:

I visited Canada a few years back and it was like dealing with a bunch of terrorists impersonating Canadian border patrol officers.

At the border there should be professionals, but sometimes they are new on the job or summer students http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/s … f-eng.html

Really inappropriate dreamtime! 

I think it is easier to get a visitors visa for family member once someone is there. Its that first one that is really tough.

Dreamtime, not nice,eh?

haha same for me!

You have not even met here and you are concerned about a visa.

My advice............................SLOW down. 

Bob K

Lol,

I'm not interested in a visa for her.

I've already looked into it!

Yes, slow down.  But about the visa.  It is a bunch of BS getting a visa for the US.  My wife and I are obviously married (hence the word wife).  I could apply for her to live in the U.S. if I wanted to and providing all the paperwork is done correctly there would be no problem.  So she could come and go as she pleases. 

But we don't want to live in the U.S.  So we did the tourist visa thing.  First time around = refused.  Reason = she does not have sufficient reason for returning to the DR.  They are worried we will enter together and then live there with here being illegal.  What?  Again I point out that if I wanted to and for not that much more money I could apply for her to live there already.  So why would we do it illegally?  Dumb government officials that can't think outside of step #2 on form #a180.

Second time around we applied and she got it.  10 years, no limitations.  So for 10 years (from the time we got it) she can come and go as she pleases.  Mind you that NOTHING changed between the first time and the second.  She has absolutely no more reason to return to the DR, no better solvency, no better nothing.  The process is very subjective.  The first time around she didn't even get an actual interview/interrogation.  They didn't ask anything.  They just looked at the application and paperwork and said no. 

So good luck.  And if you get denied you can appeal but my advice would be to simply re-apply after a few months.  I have talked to several other folks who say the same.  Apply once its not apply again its yes apply again its no apply again its yes.  Bunch of BS if  you ask me.  I know one guy in Puerto Plata who has been married to a Dominican woman for 25 years.  First time he applied it was no.  Second time he got the 10 year visa like my wife.  After 10 years and after several entries and returns with no problems whatsoever they applied for a new one and the first application was refused!  Applied again and got another 10 year visa. 

Makes you wonder who is making these decisions and what criteria (none) they actually using.  If it is this hard and at the same time this easy for us depending on when and how many times you apply then Joe Terrorist is doing the same thing.  I used to not think that way until I had to do it myself and I thought what a load of crap this process is.

This is the web site that will get you started.  It is the basic "how to" with links to everything you need to do and what information you need.  But again I say it is a load of crap.  It is just a dice roll at the "crap"s table.  I spent time and money (more time than anything) both times we applied getting all her supporting documentation such as bank statements, birth certificates, etc. and they didn't look at anything extra either time.  First time they said no, second time they said yes, but they never looked at any "supporting" documentation so it seemed like a waste of time to get anything extra beyond what this site actually says you need to provide.  Anyway, here is the link.

http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/how-to-apply.html

dreamtime wrote:

I did go back to the U.S. sometimes and I gotta say it is the same deal.  Sometimes it is the typical, justified routine.  Other times it is a nightmare of an interrogation.  Its almost like I'm not a citizen.  They don't want me to come back!  Well, then stop making me pay taxes on my investment gains and we'll all be happy! 

Miami is a real pain for me.  I think its because of the drug trafficking through there and the amount of time I am out of the U.S. between entries.  I must be a drug trafficking candidate in their eyes.  Newark is much easier but I am usually wanting to visit Miami so that is where I go. 

One time they really did deny me entry at the initial checkpoint in Miami and I had to "explain" my case to an official in a private room.  They brought in all my luggage and searched it.  What a hassle.  Thankfully that only happened to me once and I hope it won't happen again. 

Actually I don't even plan to return to the U.S. any time soon so we'll have to wait and see in a few years probably.  I'm sure they're going to be so happy to see me when I return to the country for the first time in maybe 10 years.  Now my wife goes alone and in Miami its easier for her than it is for me, lol.

Yup, not too nice on the Canadian border, eh?

A few years back I also flew into Miami and the guy grilled me. It was kind of funny. I was so tired from my flight. So he was blaring out question after question about nothing and my response was severely delayed due to jet lag. I was too tired to care much. But I have no interest in dealing with that nonsense. When I am awake I usually give them ridiculous answers to their nonsensical questions just to have fun and play with them a bit. They deserve it.

And no, nothing they say or do has ANYTHING to do with your security traveling from point A to point B.

go to a US consulate or the US embassy & request the needed forms.  Your bro seems to be incapable of helping himself.  You are too good to him.  If he is serious about this he should do some of the work himself,  just my opinion.  Please, no offense meant.

Hey Massage, has your brother joined yet or has he
moved on to another lady, which I suspect is the case?
Anyway, what's happening?

Greetings Thomas......He is going back to DR to see her in 2 weeks, and he is not into blogging.  I guess he is not too big on taking advice, so I will let him decide how he wants to play this one out.  Sometimes learning by trial and error is the only way for some folks :(

Everyone needs to make their choices,  hopefully they have all the info they need but often they don't want info nor advice.  Oh well.   We all learn our own way.

Yeah, a lot of people try & error,
costing them a lot of time & pesos.
You did what you could chum.
I wish your brother luck!

Hey Planner!
How ya been?

I am good Tomas,  doing fine.  Just working hard.