Argentine pesos for Brazilian Reales

Hi all,

I am traveling soon to Brazil from Argentina. I have Argentine Pesos and I will need to get Reales. Here in Argentina I cannot buy Reales because of some strange law that Argentina has. They only permit me to buy currency from my home country.  Does Brazil have this law? If I am in Brazil can I use argentine pesos to buy Reales?

If I cannot buy reals with pesos I will have to buy dollars here and then buy reals in brazil. But the exchange rate will cost me a lot of what I have.

thanks for the help!

Yes, you will have to go to one of the many currency exchanges (cambio) to exchange your Pesos for Reais. You find them in airports, major bus depots, shopping malls, downtown. If you have any problem just Google "Cambio em + the name of the city". If you want to exchange your money at a bank it must be one that has a Cambio so ask them.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Ok so there is no need to go buy dollars here then? I can do all of it in a bank or exchange house in Brazil?

Yes, you can trade your money here in Brazil. You can also use your debit or credit card here too.

One last question, if I use only cash how much would I need in reals for one day in porto alegre, cheap hostel, taxis, and food, plus the cost of a bus trip to the coast 270 kilometers away?

I have no idea what prices are like there.

also, thank you for your responses they are immensely helpful and comforting. Trying to find this info with google searches would be a nightmare.

Neither do I, as I've never been there in all my years here in Brazil. Perhaps one of our members there will post a reply to better inform you.

Do you have any rough estimate? I mean I dont know if I will need 300 reals or 1200. I have NO idea the costs of things there.

May be this can help you!

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … rto+Alegre

Thankyou!

exchange for your argetine peso is at half value at least. I got 0.2 last month for the peso to the real. So better to change pesos for reales in Florida, Bsas or some other place you know.