Marriage in Morocco - documents

Hi everybody :) ,

In the next few months me and my partner would like to get married.
Can anybody tell us what kind of documents we need to be have before we can get married in Morocco as a mixed couple?

He is Moroccan and he lives in Morocco. I am Bulgarian, living in Bulgaria for now .

All advice is welcome!
Thank you very much in advance!

hello, the only document you need is your bank statement and your pin number - give him these and he has all he wants and hey presto you will be married! Then give him the visa application forms and pay for this process and hey presto - your dumped!
Wake up and smell the coffee

Hi Elea,

Do not know if you had a reply to your query but there a number of documents that you as the foreigner party have to provide. please confirm if you still need this info

For goodness sake! He is living in Morocco. Is it beyond him to go to the appropriate authorities to find out? What is preventing him from doing this to the extent that you have to come onto a blog to ask complete strangers for advice? Your fiance should be arranging all of this, he is there, after all. I mean, if you were going to get married in Bulgaria, would you throw your hands up and say to your Moroccan fiance who is in Morocco that he has to find out the procedures and documents needed? Of course you wouldn't. Please stand back to realise how ridiculous this is.

Do be aware that your fiance must pay ALL the costs of the wedding, including the jewellery (4000 Euros-worth, as a minimum) and the reception, as well as all of the costs of all of the procedures and your dowry and trousseau. The only thing you should be paying for is your make-up. If he does not do this, you are being defrauded. I do not live in Morocco, but I have lived in Arabic countries before and the process is the same. I have looked up the process for Morocco and it's similar. Don't listen to nonsense about his not being able to afford this. If he can't, then how will he support you? You will end up with a parasite attached to you until you have had enough and you divorce him, after which you will be wiser and much poorer. Alternatively, as soon as he gets to the EU, he'll divorce you. I have researched the statistics for marriages between N African people and Westerners and the chance of success is vanishingly small. I don't want to be accused of generalising, but the figures show that most of these marriages fail. Clearly some do work! However, the risk is too giant to take.

I can't agree more with the post from phoenixinuk! Just give him your PIN number and your cards as this is what he is almost certainly after (as well as a visa to the EU). This is a certainty seeing as you are left to find out how to marry him. He's either too indolent, too illiterate, too poor or has you bewitched.

Elea_S wrote:

All advice is welcome!
Thank you very much in advance!

From experience of advising people against such catastrophic decisions, I doubt all advise is welcomed, and that I will be thanked. But anyway I will give it a try... My advice based on reading your topic is to avoid like the plague. I've noticed there is a trend - Getting married to those based in Eastern-Europe. I'm assuming they think it's easier to be granted with an EU Visa - With the main goal of using it as a bridge (freedom of movement) to Western-Europe, their real intended destination, rather than directly trying to move there (as it's probably harder). You know, go to Bulgaria, Romania, Poland and so on, then move to the EU country of their choice. Doesn't take a genius to figure out this common intention.

We know exactly what documents we need, but anyone who has experienced and run into with that may be helpful for us.
We will see what would be happen! I want to be with him, and he wants be with me! If we can't marry in Morocco , we will in Bulgaria or UK, or somewhere in another country! ;)

Elea_S wrote:

We know exactly what documents we need, but anyone who has experienced and run into with that may be helpful for us.
We will see what would be happen! I want to be with him, and he wants be with me! If we can't marry in Morocco , we will in Bulgaria or UK, or somewhere in another country! ;)

You don't need help from anyone. He is a Moroccan citizen, living in Morocco. He should know, or go out of his way to know, everything about mixed-marriage in his country - (unless he is busy with more important matters to him, which seems to be the case with many of them - forcing their foreign partner to do the research). Then share the information with you. It's really that simple. He should be able to tell you what you need to bring. And you bring it to Morocco. That's all. If you decide to get married in Bulgaria, then the responsibility will fall on you to provide him with all the details about marriage in your country. You are not going to expect him to go on a Bulgaria-Forum online, and ask people for help, are you?

So likewise, I'm not sure why you need help from anyone else apart from your partner. I take it that he's too busy of course. At least I hope it's for good reasons. It's quite common in North African countries for someone to be already married, or in a relationship, yet strike up a relationship with a foreigner for visa and/or financial reasons. Here on this very site, there are stories of how foreigners later on found out about their partners secret family. Most of the time, the entire family is in it, knowing that they will benefit from a marriage of convenience. Instead of spending time researching about how to get married there, research about stories of those who did get married. There isn't a shortage of sham marriages.

Admittedly it's quite difficult to read them for someone who seems intent in getting married, as it means you will have to accept that there might not be a future in it. But the temporary pain, makes up for the longer-lasting pain of divorce, being left emotionally & financially ruined, as many have come to experience. Again, on this site, there are threads about how to get divorced (usually as a result of mixed-marriage between Westerner/North-African/Arab). You might think it's a subject that you will never have to consider, but so did those posting. Learn from their stories. I'm not here pretending to know his motive. I don't. Neither am I here to tell you what to do. But rather to advise you to make sure you equip yourself with all the relevant knowledge, so you know what you're getting into, in order to be well prepared before committing. As marriage is a life-time commitment, and quite frankly, judging from this thread, it's a disaster waiting to happen. How do I know? Seen it many times already. But I wish you much luck. I don't usually hope I'm proven wrong, but I will.

If you got any questions, ask them. What specifically do you want to know about mixed-marriage in Morocco that you don't already know about?

Elea_S wrote:

Fortunately, there is zero chance of getting your fiance to the UK, or Sweden for that matter, so that you can marry him. I think you would have a really hard time getting him into Bulgaria even.

Give this up please.

XB23 wrote:
Elea_S wrote:

You don't need help from anyone. He is a Moroccan citizen, living in Morocco. He should know, or go out of his way to know, everything about mixed-marriage in his country - (unless he is busy with more important matters to him, which seems to be the case with many of them - forcing their foreign partner to do the research). Then share the information with you. It's really that simple. He should be able to tell you what you need to bring. And you bring it to Morocco. That's all. If you decide to get married in Bulgaria, then the responsibility will fall on you to provide him with all the details about marriage in your country. You are not going to expect him to go on a Bulgaria-Forum online, and ask people for help, are you?

So likewise, I'm not sure why you need help from anyone else apart from your partner. I take it that he's too busy of course. At least I hope it's for good reasons. It's quite common in North African countries for someone to be already married, or in a relationship, yet strike up a relationship with a foreigner for visa and/or financial reasons. Here on this very site, there are stories of how foreigners later on found out about their partners secret family. Most of the time, the entire family is in it, knowing that they will benefit from a marriage of convenience. Instead of spending time researching about how to get married there, research about stories of those who did get married. There isn't a shortage of sham marriages.

Admittedly it's quite difficult to read them for someone who seems intent in getting married, as it means you will have to accept that there might not be a future in it. But the temporary pain, makes up for the longer-lasting pain of divorce, being left emotionally & financially ruined, as many have come to experience. Again, on this site, there are threads about how to get divorced (usually as a result of mixed-marriage between Westerner/North-African/Arab). You might think it's a subject that you will never have to consider, but so did those posting. Learn from their stories. I'm not here pretending to know his motive. I don't. Neither am I here to tell you what to do. But rather to advise you to make sure you equip yourself with all the relevant knowledge, so you know what you're getting into, in order to be well prepared before committing. As marriage is a life-time commitment, and quite frankly, judging from this thread, it's a disaster waiting to happen. How do I know? Seen it many times already. But I wish you much luck. I don't usually hope I'm proven wrong, but I will.

If you got any questions, ask them. What specifically do you want to know about mixed-marriage in Morocco that you don't already know about?

Thank you for your opinion! I will follow your advices!

It's not hard to marry in Morocco! Contact the consulate of Bulgaria in Morocco and they will tell you their requirements. You may have to obtain proof that you are free to marry before you get to Morocco. Each country operates in a different manner so check with the consulate. After that you will have to contact the afoul in the place where the marriage will take place to find out the documentation needed. Each place has different requirements so check. Generally you will need a criminal record check, birth certificate, divorce certificate, may need proof of address and also work info, I would take bank statements as well just in case. Then you will obviously need passport, passport sized pictures and shahada certificate. Everything will need to be translated in to arabic and once married you receive your marriage certificate a week or so later.

You have very little chance of being able to marry in the UK. I'm in the UK and the requirements are tough so virtually no chance especially with a Moroccan.

I think she's already came to the right decision not to be used, and decided not to proceed further. Well at least I hope so for her own sake.

Ask yourself 2 questions:
- Has he got a good job, e.g. Dr, dentist etc?
- Has his family got money?

If not, you will need very deep pockets to pay for him & family (yes, they come attached).....and you will have to bring them all to Bulgaria

Please- save yourself

Google your country and the moroccan documents needed for marriage. There is a lot of paperwork needed. I'm American marrying a Moroccan. We have started the process and still have a long way to go. It will depend on which country you marry. Advise: Patience. Ex: If we want to marry in the U.S. then it is me that has to file the petition. If you are marrying in Marco then it is him that should be filing the petition. Good luck I wish you the best!

You need to come to Morocco this is exactly what do you need to do and nothing else just be ready.

It will depend on where you intend to marry. In Maroc or Bulgaria. The country government website can give you details on what is needed. It will be more solid information. I started the process in July and we obtained our visa and are ready to marry. I would believe the countries involved will make the difference of the time frames to expect. There are many factors. Are there children, have you previous marriages..... Etc. The only advise I can give honestly is be patient