Moving 2 Mazatlan, In need of Help.

Hello,
I will be moving to Mazatlan,Mexico at the beginning of April. As I was sitting in a small room with others applying for my visa I realized I was in dire need of the knowledge from some seasoned expats in the Mazatlan area. I just have a few questions:
Is it safe to walk/drive the city at night?
Is there a problem with gangs/cartel?
Can I bring my car with me ( I have heard so many different stories, even from the Mexican Consulate)?
Are kidnappings prevalent?
Can you drive a nice car, such as a hummer or small benz without getting car-jacked?
Where do you buy furniture and is it reasonably priced? I can not find any stores on-line.
I've heard stories about getting custom clothes made from a seamstress and custom furniture made that is less expensive ~ is this true?
I do realize how ignorant some of these questions are, but these were all topics of discussion at the Consulate. And I started thinking maybe I did not see every thing on my trip in November, or maybe something changed. I'm bringing my family and I just want to make sure. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

tellitino wrote:

Hello,
I will be moving to Mazatlan,Mexico at the beginning of April. As I was sitting in a small room with others applying for my visa I realized I was in dire need of the knowledge from some seasoned expats in the Mazatlan area. I just have a few questions:
Is it safe to walk/drive the city at night?
Is there a problem with gangs/cartel?
Can I bring my car with me ( I have heard so many different stories, even from the Mexican Consulate)?
Are kidnappings prevalent?
Can you drive a nice car, such as a hummer or small benz without getting car-jacked?
Where do you buy furniture and is it reasonably priced? I can not find any stores on-line.
I've heard stories about getting custom clothes made from a seamstress and custom furniture made that is less expensive ~ is this true?
I do realize how ignorant some of these questions are, but these were all topics of discussion at the Consulate. And I started thinking maybe I did not see every thing on my trip in November, or maybe something changed. I'm bringing my family and I just want to make sure. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

I don't live in Mazatlan, but I have been there several times. I would say you are far, far more likely to be car jacked in Texas. I know of no one who has been car jacked. I also know of no one who has been kidnapped.

I have talked to a native from Cuernavaca  who says the extortion threats are made to natives, and they involve claiming that they have one of the persons family members. My friend said one time they called to claim they kidnapped the person who had actually answered the phone or was sitting in the room These are calls making claims not actual kidnappings.There have been some kidnappings of people going to weddings. Once again this is natives with visiting family.

I have a high end car and other than recently having emblems stripped from the exterior no one has bothered my car. The emblems were taken during a concert when many strangers were in town. There are a number of high end cars and dealers for high end cars here. You want to walk and drive less at night mostly due to lighting and the tendency for people to be walking in the street. Actually it is best not to walk any where at night , especially in the U.S.
There are malls, and mega stores all over Mexico Costco, Sams club and many high end stores are in Mexico. They don't do the big on line business the U.S. does, but you can buy almost anything you want here. Check out Mexico mike http://www.mexicomike.com/safety/safety … tment.html

Thank you for your feedback. You have been of great help!

I am not sure about the place to live in , in mexico, where exactly to move, but I just saw this post by a member here.. and this seems good for me.

My question is , is this a realistic estimate, if so what areas fits this budget in mexico, please help.. I am a pure vegetarian, with the exception of egg. also need internet, I am a freelancer.. please help..

"gudgrief 05 April 2015 15:55:32
$1000 USD is doable in cities like Zacatecas that are not expat colonies.
rent              $340     Decent two bedroom apartment.
electricity        $10     a month
gas                $10     a month
city water          $6     a month
Bottled water $6     a month
food              $150     a month
Internet, phone, cable
                    $40      a month
total              $570      approx

Transportation means walking, taxi, city bus  %30-60 a month.

You can't just barely get by without Spanish, not recommended.
With Spanish, you can have a rich social life."

latebloomer wrote:

I am not sure about the place to live in , in mexico, where exactly to move, but I just saw this post by a member here.. and this seems good for me.

My question is , is this a realistic estimate, if so what areas fits this budget in mexico, please help.. I am a pure vegetarian, with the exception of egg. also need internet, I am a freelancer.. please help..

"gudgrief 05 April 2015 15:55:32
$1000 USD is doable in cities like Zacatecas that are not expat colonies.
rent              $340     Decent two bedroom apartment.
electricity        $10     a month
gas                $10     a month
city water          $6     a month
Bottled water $6     a month
food              $150     a month
Internet, phone, cable
                    $40      a month
total              $570      approx

Transportation means walking, taxi, city bus  %30-60 a month.

You can't just barely get by without Spanish, not recommended.
With Spanish, you can have a rich social life."

Could you please stop the multiple posts. It makes it difficult for others to answer each post and multiple postings are not allowed on this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.