Cost of living in Poland – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Poland in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Poland you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Poland?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Tell me

I would like to know the costs of several things such as accommodation, light, heat, food or so of living in Poland, specifically in Warsarw.  Thank you everyone in advance for your kind help and time!

Hello FlorenciaReg

While waiting for members to revert back, I invite you to browse through threads in our forum section Cost of living in Poland to gather some infos.

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

accommodation prices

In Warsaw, we live in a 100m2 in Wola district which is not exactly the most favorable district. But it is close to center and we got lucky! The apartment is ~ 10 years old, with two separate rooms, two bathrooms, one large dining room, one pantry, and a separate kitchen. It has two floors. We pay 2800 PLN per month excluding the ~ 300/400 PLN for different bills depending the usage.
I used to live in a good area in center when I was a student, a single remodeled flat (45m2) with annexed kitchen and separate bedroom is now 1700 PLN excluding the bills.

public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

I use the 90 day tickets for people above 26 y old. That is 280 PLN covering all transportation within the city.

food prices (your monthly budget)

We eat a lot of fresh vegatables, fruits, and cold meat + not pricey wine. So all included for two people who don't eat much but eat a bit picky is ~ 1400-1500 PLN

health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

You need to be insured. National Insurance for unemployed above 26 y is 450 PLN I guess.
I was on private insurance for a year which was calculated based on health conditions and I payed 300 PLN monthly. A single visit to private dr starts from 150 PLN in Warsaw.

common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

Internet : 95 PLN
Phone: two year contract, 90 PLN monthly
We don't have TV, so I don't know.

And cinema tickets in Warsaw are 28 PLN last time I tried.

Hello

How much does it cost to live in Poland? --> well, I've lived in Warszawa (Warsaw) for 4 years, so will talk about that city only -- here you go:

> accommodation prices -- to rent, this depends on the district, from most expensive (Mokotów/Żoliborz/Śródmieście) to least (Włochy).  For a place in the most expensive, this will be about 50zł/m2/month to about 60zł/m2/month. The smaller the place, the more rent price per metre.  This of course depends on the accesibility, whether it is brick or not, has a good location, good layout, furnishing etc.
For a kawalerka which is 30m2 to 50 m2 expect to pay in the range of 1500 to 2000 zł/month in the districts closer to the centre.  If you go to Bemowo (which I recommend, it's a little longer and no metro, but very green) or Włochy (which I don't -- too far) or Wola, it is cheaper.
To buy, this again co-relates to the most expensive places to rent, but I'd say expect above 6500zł/m2 -- the top range is pretty much anything.

Buying a single once only trip ticket is expensive -- 3.4 zł I think or 4.8 and a day-long is 26zł (with 24zł for the weekend).  But a quarterly is about 280zł/three months -- and if you pay taxes in Warsaw, you can get a Karta Warszawianka and get this reduced.

no idea

for a pre-school this is about 900zł to 1300 zł/month

should be about 100 zł/month for gas and electricity with this spiking up in winter months

you can get packages of 80 zł to 160 zł/month depending on the speed and the number of services you want

well, the pierogarnia etc. will set you back about 25 to 30 zł/person and if you go to a top-notch one like pod gigantami, this is more like 150 zł/person
If you get the coffee from a bar mlecko, then about 1.5 zł, if you get it from Starbucks/Cafe Nero/Costa then it is from 7.5 zł for an espresso to 17 zł
For a soft drink, from a supermarket is about 2 zł for 500 ml and 3 zł at a Kebab place and name your price at a fancy restaurant.
For alcohol, if you go to the nice places behind Nowy Świat this is about 5 to 8 zł per drink while on Nowy Świat it is twice or thrice that.
No idea

Hi, I have been living in Warsaw, Poland for 2 years. It is considerably cheaper to live in Poland when compared to western European cities. The currency is Zloty which I think is one of the major reasons for reasonable standard of living.

So how much does it cost to live in Poland? Well lets get into it!

> accommodation prices

Depends upon your need.

If you are single and ready to share, you could get a shared apartment within 1000 pln/month.

If you would like to have a  studio flat the prices may go upto 1500 pln/month

If you are married and looking for a 2 room apartment (one bedroom and one living room, separate kitchen and bathroom) you will have to pay at least 1750 to 2000 pln for a decent accomodation.

Public transportation is considerably cheaper and well connected. One could take a 90 days travel ticket worth 280 pln for adult and 180 pln for student. There are buses and train services to other cities and there are also budget airlines.

If you are planning to cook while working or studying, it is going to save you lot of money. There are couple of  Indian groceries store available, form where you can get exotic vegetables and most of the groceries.  Monthly you will have to pay at least 500-1000 pln for groceries per person

Eating out is also another choice. You will have to shelve out around 20 -50 pln per meal in a average restaurant.

I am presently on a private insurance which includes insurance for my wife and I am paying around 100 pln /month

no idea

There are some things which is good to check before taking an apartment. Do make sure the heating is gas based and nt electricity based. Electricity based heating systems will make you pay expensive bills. Other than that you will have to pay from 60 pln to 200 pln for gas electricity and water combined.

100mbps connection unlimited download, TV with some english channels will cost you around 120 -150 pln. You can also add a landline for marginal price.

For a dinner in a classy restaurant you will have to pay around 150 pln person.

10 pln for coffee at starbucks

20-35 pln per ticket

> Alcohol
beer: 5 pln/ 500 ml  approx in supermarkets
a decent bottle of vine: 35 pln

All the best

Thank you all for sharing this information, :)

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Warsaw:
Rent: 5000zl/month for 2 bedroom & 2 bathroom 135m flat with large balcony in central Warsaw. I know some expats that pay 2000-3000zl/month for small flats and some that pay 8-10,000zl for brand new, fancier flats. In Wilanow, you'll pay a lot more for a house.

Public transportation fares: 280 PLN for 90 days, covering all transportation within the city.

Monthly groceries for 2 people who cook a lot at home: 1200zl (Shopping often at local markets like Hala Mirowska instead of large grocery chains).

Utilities: averages 450-500zl per month. No air conditioning.
Internet: about 100zl/month for fastest internet package with UPC

Mobile phone: pay as you go with Orange Mobile. About 30zl/month. 
No TV. We just use the internet.

Medium-sized latte: 12-15zl.   
Cocktails: 15-20zl.
Glass of wine: 15-25zl.
Beer: 6-9zl for Polish beer/12-16zl for craft beers
Movie tickets: 28zl. Weekdays are cheaper.
Casual lunch: 15-30zl.
Medium-priced dinner without alcohol: 50-75zl.

very inefficient method..
we should use surveymonkey or other survey websites which will give some analyzable data..

thank you for sharing  reply , how about veg food in in wroclaw

veg food anywhere in Poland is not so easy.. in restaurants..
u get all veggies in markets... for cooking at home..
but eating out is little tough !!

abhishekjain118 wrote:

veg food anywhere in Poland is not so easy.. in restaurants..
u get all veggies in markets... for cooking at home..
but eating out is little tough !!

You are so right abhishekjain118.

But for those who do not speak Polish and therefore cant find info: I find on the web some restaurants in Krakow that specialize in veg. :

http://www.glonojad.com/http://www.podnorenami.pl/en/http://www.greenway.pl/#lokale&#page

Hello all,

I would suggest that we remain within the topic at hand i.e "Cost of living in Poland – 2015"

Thanking you all for your contribution.

Gavind.
Expat Team Blog

note -- if you pay taxes in Warsaw i.e. you have a PESEL and a karta zmeldowana of warsaw, then you can apply for a Karta Warszawiaka and instead of paying 280 zł for the 90 day ticket you can pay only 225

wow -- 5K zł/month -- are you talking about Śródmieście or Mokotów -- if one goes a bit further afield, the costs aren't that horrifying!