23 years old, not a lot of money, hearts in Belize!

Hello, my name is LaDwana and I'm 23 years old. I have a part time job at home depot. My "dream big" dream is to explore as many beaches as I can. I plan on moving to Belize in a year or two so I can save some money. I don't plan on taking anything with me except my cat and some clothes. I would love to become a citizen of Belize. Belize and Thailand are the main beaches I would love to go to. I wanted to know how I would go about getting a work visa, bringing my cat, renting or owning a place. I wouldn't mind owning one and then renting it out when I am not there. Also what is the weather like? And is it pretty hard getting a job when you aren't a citizen?

Hi LaDwana,

Your topic has been moved to the Belize forum for more visibility. :)

Thanks

Priscilla

The government of Belize does protect Belizean workers.    Unskilled workers here make $2-5 Bz $ per hour, that is $1 to $2.50 US dollars an hour.    I will suggest there is little or no chance of you getting a work permit here.   Also the process of getting the permit requires about $2k US.     The expediters will take your money but they can not get you a work permit.    My husband has a work permit, which he got because he is a highly trained professional working in an area that does not displace a Belizean worker.   I sympathize with your dream and agree that now is a good time for you to explore options.   Have you tried to apply for a Peace Corps position?   Can you ally yourself with one of the religious groups that has groups that come to do volunteer work here occasionally?  Do you have a degree in anything?  What languages do you speak?   BTW, there are not many beaches in Belize.  The pictures to entice tourism are not really representative of our coastline.   We have lots of mangroves.  Best Luck.