Children in Port Au Prince

Hi Everyone:

I am considering a position in an NGO in Port Au Prince.  I have a small infant child and wanted to know if anyone can give me some advise regarding small expat infants and living in PAP.  Are there professional nannies, are there security issues, do you think this is a good idea, etc.

Thanks
r

If you haven't, I would suggest you read Travesty in Haiti before you commit to such an adventure.  Of course there are securiiy issues.  There are very few people you can trust.  I know it sounds negative but the way it is. Kidnapping is the major industry.  I don't guess I know about professional nannies. I would be extremely cautious. I don't think it is a good idea.  But Americans do live there. There are other ways to help Haiti than the NGO thing.  Good luck.  I can give you some contact for helpful people there if you would like.

Of course you can live in Port-au-Prince with your child.  As a matter of fact, I have been living in Haiti with my 6 year old daughter in this wonderful Apartment Complex in the center of Petion-Ville.  The complex is very child friendly with Armed Security 24 hours.  The Staff and personnel are really helpful with my daughter.  The school (Union School) is very close to where we live and If you are looking for Christian base education, there is also Quiqueya Christian School not too far.  All in all the education sytem in Haiti is quite good in the private school system.  Most are accredited with some of the United States University which makes the switch from Haiti to the States really easy.  If you want, I can make inquiries with my landlord to see if there are any availabilities for you.  It would be nice to have a friend for my daughter.  Let me know.

Hi vallerie25 - I am also planning to move to Haiti this spring and I have two young children aged 5 & 3. They are not going to live with me permanently, but will visit. It would be great to know if there are any apartments in your complex going spare.....?

Good morning. Yes I am sure you will find a place in the apartment I live in. Just keep me inform in what you are looking for along with the date you are planning to be there.