Difference between complex and compound

Hello friends,

I've been advice that I can find good prices for a 3 bed accommodation in a complex, but I don't know much about complex, what is the difference between complex and compound? Is the complex a western style too?

Any help will be highly appreciated, I am sorry to post this I was not able to find a previous post about this matter.

Kind regards,

Hey,

Complex is a number of same style multi floors building built next to each other( not villas); they could be attached, Simi-attached or stand alone. Some will have a wall surrounding them others will not, some will have an indoor small swimming pool others will not. There is no security, only a doorman.
Basically people stay in complex mainly if they have kids, so they will have a space to play at (between the building) without worrying about their safety (mainly from crazy drivers).

Some companies will have their own complex for their employees so depending on the company policy; different roles could be applied on residence

Complex are defiantly not western style

I know very few complexes in Jeddah and Riyadh

So ask the people who suggested them to you to give you name and information's about them since as you can see there is no real standards to describe a complex

ahmadaq wrote:

Hey,

Complex is a number of same style multi floors building built next to each other( not villas); they could be attached, Simi-attached or stand alone. Some will have a wall surrounding them others will not, some will have an indoor small swimming pool others will not. There is no security, only a doorman.
Basically people stay in complex mainly if they have kids, so they will have a space to play at (between the building) without worrying about their safety (mainly from crazy drivers).

Some companies will have their own complex for their employees so depending on the company policy; different roles could be applied on residence

Complex are defiantly not western style

I know very few complexes in Jeddah and Riyadh

So ask the people who suggested them to you to give you name and information's about them since as you can see there is no real standards to describe a complex

Hello ahmadaq,

Thank you for your comments, I thought complex could be a good option for a low costs accommodation, since compounds are too expensive, I was looking for some place which can be less expensive but with similar benefits and amenities as compounds do. Specially living in a western style.

Do you if it exists any place like that, or just western compounds?

Kind regards,

Please help me with details of the following terms since I'm a little bit confused

1) Villa
2) Flat
3) Apartments
4) Compunds

What are the plus of each of them and what are the definition of each, what are the benefits and prices? What are the negative thing of a Western living elsewhere a compound

Ok will try to summarize it in my simple English  :( 

Villa, is a standalone building, in Saudi is usually between 200-350 Squar meter (if in a compound, then usually its much smaller than this) with a small garden and a big bathtub that they like to call a swimming pool. It's more for higher middle class people. Some areas of each city are strictly for villas others are a mix.

Flat and apartments are both the same (English and American terms). its where most middle class people live and the building where the flats is usually multi floors building, in Saudi is usually 4-5 floors with 16-18 flats in different sizes 1-5 rooms .

Compounds are a walled area with security around it and depending on the size of the compound, it will have flat, villas or a mix of both. Compounds will have recreation area (Pool and Gym) playground and women can go out within these walls without wearing Abaya even they can swim or drive. You can have a party there with no issues. It's usually X4-5 the average price for the same size living area outside the compound. When people here say Western compound, they basically mean that the majority of the residence are from western countries .

The main plus for living in a compound is the freedom and for living in an out of a compound flat is the price.

I know many single Westerners living in flats around the city but very few families