Moving to Puerto Rico in 3-4 Months

Hello,

My name is Tyler and my wife and our four kids (ages 3 months to five years old), will be moving to Puerto Rico this summer.  I have read many postings on this blog, and most of my questions have been answered that way, but some remain.  We are planning on buying a house, and since we will be living in temporary housing (likely have to rent a vacation home), I am very curious how long on average it took from having an offer accepted on a home to closing. 

Also, I have read a couple things about property taxes, to include the notion that they are much lower in Puerto Rico than most places on the mainland, and that you pay something like 1.03% on any value above $150,000.  That seems to good to be true.  Any insight?  And I read that as a veteran you are exempt from property tax for 10 years, but the CRIM website didn't say much about that, only that veterans get a $5,000 exemption on the taxable value of their primary residence.  Any advice would be very helpful.

I understand there is a big debate going on over the possible imposition of a 16% VAT and the concurrent elimination of income taxes on all income up to $80,000 for a married couple.  How likely is that to become law? 

Okay, thanks a ton for any help that can be provided.

Regards,

Tyler

Hi, there and welcome!  I'm not an expat yet but there are so many here with helpful information that will come along and post.  All the best to you and your family :)