Malaysian wanting to live in Canada

Hi everyone. I have read a few forums about moving to Canada alone. I am very interested in moving to Canada for a change of scenery from Malaysia.

I would like to ask my fellow Malaysians a few questions. How cold are the winters? How do you find a social life in a new country like Canada when you are moving there alone? How are the living cost and general salary like?

Avidtraveller0 wrote:

Hi everyone. I have read a few forums about moving to Canada alone. I am very interested in moving to Canada for a change of scenery from Malaysia.

I would like to ask my fellow Malaysians a few questions. How cold are the winters? How do you find a social life in a new country like Canada when you are moving there alone? How are the living cost and general salary like?

Welcome to EB... :) 

Please read through the posts in the categories section on the right hand side of this page. There is a wealth of information to be found there. 
For cost of living try www.numbeo.com  for salary  www.worldsalaries.org

@Avidtraveller0, speaking from one Malaysian to another let me just say that those are very broad questions - as broad as Canada itself. From coast to coast and every in between, it all differs depending on the city you choose to settle in.

BC itself like Vancouver, Surrey, Victoria, or Kamloops are typically warmer during winters and it hardly snows. Everywhere else is freaking cold but has variations to the cold. For example east coast (maritimes) tend to have more mild, icy mix snow like weather because its closer to the ocean. Eastern Canada (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal) is colder and not as icy. Mid west like Alberta, Saskatchewan have extremely cold winter but unlike the others have more warm breaks in between. The East and Maritimes have more cold days that doesn't seem to take a break in between.

Social life depends on you itself. Obviously in bigger more diverse cities like Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal, you'd be able to find more immigrants unlike the maritimes. You can use Meetup.com to also find like-minded folks. Or do volunteer work etc.

Living costs depends too on the city you live in. Winnipeg has one of the lowest living cost and home ownership. Vancouver has the highest home ownership cost. It also depends how close the city is, if you live in Toronto or Vancouver, you can always cross the border easily to do your shopping in the states for clothes and other stuff because they are cheaper then. Obviously you'd do that when the currency is a little better. Right now Canadian dollar isn't too good compared to USD.

The type of job, and where you work would determine your pay too. Alberta area - like Calgary or Edmonton tends to be more well paid because they are oil rich. Followed by Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal and Vancouver. Becareful of provincial tax which also would cut of quite a chunk from your income. Alberta has the lowest tax - again because of oil. Ontario and Nova Scotia has one of the highest (but the later has lower home ownership cost).