Moving to myanmar

Hi my husband has been offered a job here and we know nothing about the place. Any advice would be helpful, is public transport Easy to use is there a huge language barrier as we are both English and don't have any other language skills unfortunately. 😔

I will not be working as I dont have a job would it be easy for me to find work or if not is there a good expat community there for me to join. Any clubs gyms etc.

Thanks in advance

I welcome all help

Trish x

How much salary they are offering with facilities kindly explain.

Dear Trish,
Yangon summer is very hot and humid. In Yangon, the rain is torrential and the pavements vanish. The traffic jam is the worst and be prepared for cultural differences.
The Real Fitness and The Balance Fitness is well known but no pool. It will cost $80 to $100/month and pay quarterly in advance. I recommend the American Club. The entire family to join is $600/year plus deposit. Pay yearly in advance for the first year only and they have full size pool. Please google the detail location.
I don't think you will ever ride the bus nor train here. The taxis are everywhere and relatively inexpensive. You must bargain.
There are one cycling group in Yagon formed among expats and not sure about the local participants. There are sizable expats community here and growing. They are very helpful, informative and easy to make friends with. Please explore by joining Inter Nations Website. They arrange monthly networking event in Yangon and going on trips sometimes. It's useful join YECGROUP on Google.
Lots of NGO's and Small and Medium Enterprises and some major Coporations in Yangon now. Depend on your experience and qualification, you will enable to find some job sooner or later. May be teaching job. Lots foreign schools and local own English School.
Real Estate rental is expensive compare to Thailand, Vietnam, Laos etc...
Should you have more question, please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected].
Best regards,
Winston Paing

www.internations.org
www..Facebook.com/AmericanClubRangoon
www..Facebook.com/pages/Balance-Fitness/389692884450640
www.yangonexplorer.com/cat/gyms/

Thankyou Winston for your detailed information that was very kind of U and has given me lots to look at 😊.

We are still in the stages of do we accept it or not. We are living in Tunisia ATM and the language barrier is the same I can imagine as we don't speak any Arabic but are picking up enough words to get by.

We have to think of the pros and cons of both places and it's so difficult as we don't know anything about Yangon but thanks for the advice it has helped

Many thanks Trish x

We have been offered $500 to pay towards renting a house is that enough ?

Many thanks in advance
Trish x

$500 is no nearly enough to rent entry level condo in Yagon. That is a low ball offer. You will need minimum of $1500 for your housing. Budget of $2000 will give you more option. Your husband employer knows how expensive the rent cab be and you need to pay one year upfront for the rent.
English is the second language here and much easier to communicate than Thailand and Tunisia ATM. It's not going to be a big deal. Don't worry.
Regards,
Winston Paing.