Help registering my car

HI All

Id like to find out if there are any companies who can take the hassle out of registering my car in Romania? Although I live there and am resident, I actually work elsewhere and am not in country to do the footwork to register it.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

/Mark

Hello Mark,

Welcome on the forum :)

Hope some of the members will have an answer for you soon.

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Yes .  Fee is 350 ron.  Romanian girlfriend registered car within last 30 days.  Essentially hassle free.

[link moderated]

Ted Chase

This is actually not true. We have a pollution fee. If the car is pre-2007 the tax might be very big. As in X.XXX euros.

Hi there.  A guy did this for me...he was a driver we had for the bank that I work for and he did the work.  He got the registration paper, brought it through the car test, and then brought it to the registry office to complete the process.  The pollution tax is high for older cars.  I can put you in touch with this guy if you like.

The fee of the company to do all the leg work is 350 lei.  Of course the government fees can be quite costly.

Yes mark it is easy to find somebody to register your car.
Fees+ some extra charges.

Hello, would anyone have an idea how to calculate this "environmental tax" ?

http://www.taxadetimbru.com/

environmental tax ( Taxa auto ) - calculweb.net/taxa-timbru/

OR another link

environmental tax ( Taxa auto) - taxauto.info/auto/taxa

I know that if you want to put the car in your name you have to go yourself. Because every time you need to put your id.

When you put it on red plates (one month). It takes about 2 hours work. You have to pay taxes 2 times. And 2 times need your id. A small office can arrange the insurance for you. Than yo go to the police with all of the papers en the give you the plates. When everything is ok.

All off this cost you about 100 to 120 Ron. For 1 month driving.

You can do this 3 times if you want. In this time you need to make a appointment with the RAR. They do the technical check on your car. And cost about 400 Ron.

When your car is approved the give you papers, with this papers you go to the place to pay the import fee. When all off this is finish you take everything to the police and the give you the papers and plates.

This all is how you import a car from another country in to Romania.

Marceldw wrote:

I know that if you want to put the car in your name you have to go yourself. Because every time you need to put your id.

When you put it on red plates (one month). It takes about 2 hours work. You have to pay taxes 2 times. And 2 times need your id. A small office can arrange the insurance for you. Than yo go to the police with all of the papers en the give you the plates. When everything is ok.

All off this cost you about 100 to 120 Ron. For 1 month driving.

You can do this 3 times if you want. In this time you need to make a appointment with the RAR. They do the technical check on your car. And cost about 400 Ron.

When your car is approved the give you papers, with this papers you go to the place to pay the import fee. When all off this is finish you take everything to the police and the give you the papers and plates.

This all is how you import a car from another country in to Romania.

Welcome Marceldw,

If only it was this simple as you present it.... :)

Actually, there are firms that can do all the paperwork if you authorize them, and in some cases it is definitely worth the extra money.

There are some items which you don't mention, such as ITP inspection, translation of documents, making sure you HAVE all the right documents.  Also it's important to note that the amount of fees and taxes required can vary greatly depending on the age/pollution norm of the car.  Also the mood of the police officer and various inspectors can determine if you'll get the plates or not. 

I brought a car from NL 2-3 years ago, it was a big pain...mostly because the police didn't want to accept the NL documents.

My girlfriend does all the talking. So most of the time everything go well 😁

And I know that everything is based on the car. If you have a diesel car with a big engine you pay a lot.

At this moment I only buy cars with euro 4 or 5. And small engines.

For my BMW X5 2009 3.0sd I have to pay like 5000 euro
For my Opel corsa 1.3 diesel 2012  200 euro for everything.

At this moment i'am importing a Opel Astra 1.6 benzine. 2001.  The import fee is around 150 euro. Than the RAR and some small things is like another 100 euro. So that's ok.

Last time I want to import a Opel vectra from 2002. 2.2 diesel. Euro 3. Only the import fee was 1500 euro. (I bought the car in holland for 1000 euro)
So this car I sell directly to people that put it on Bulgarian plates.

When you want to buy a car outside Romania. The best is to ask the people from the tax office first what you have to pay for your car.

For translation I pay 20 Ron.
And the documents. For what I know is that you need to have a bill of the car and the normal documents of the car. Nothing else.
I had a lot of discussion about translating as well. Because it is a waste of money and time. It's only for the people where you have to pay the import fee.  And I think that it is the RAR that have to put a paper with the information that tells what euro class the car is etc etc. I also don't know why they don't have a simple computer program to look the eu number of the car. Like in other countries.
But my girlfriend always says.  You are in Romania. Not in holland. 😀

Marceldw wrote:

And the documents. For what I know is that you need to have a bill of the car and the normal documents of the car. Nothing else.

I also don't know why they don't have a simple computer program to look the eu number of the car. Like in other countries.
But my girlfriend always says.  You are in Romania. Not in holland. 😀

Well, I had the export registration and export declaration given from RDW.  I had to give them the normal yellow plates in exchange for the white export plates.  The police here refused to acknowledge the export registration document, though it states clearly that it is based upon the original "kentekenbewijs" which was I was told had to be kept by the seller or RDW (not sure anymore which it was).  In any case, I had to call and beg for the original kentekenbewijs and have it sent to me in order to register the car.  A lot of headache.

I understand what you mean about having a computer program or registry database....official organizations here love to try to re-invent the wheel in attempting to catch up to the rest of the EU.  I guess it keeps people employed :)

Today we had a problem with getting the new car registration papers.

I drive my Dodge Ram van (1999) 2 years ago to Romania. Like 10 mounts ago I was in holland and export the car to get it off my name and free of tax paying etc etc doing this I had tu turn over the original yellow plates to the RDW.

Today after 4 weeks of waiting for the RAR we go to the police to get the new papers. Everything was ready so we thought only go to the police and put al the paperwork to them and it was al done.

Not. The guy ask my girlfriend were are the plates off the car. .......  Well in holland because you have to give them when export a car. He said I need the plates or a paper from a notary that my girlfriend buy the car without plates.

The notary said it was b.sht. So did I.  But the police man said it was like this. And it is the lay bla bla bla. When I wanted to now more about the law and were I could verify this he said to my girlfriend that this was stuff that was not for people like us to understand And close the window.

I hope for him that way he said is true. Because I need the car to go to holland in one week.
I ask the Dutch RAR what to do ,but I think the Romanian police can not ask me to give something to them that is required in holland to export a Dutch car.

If you exported the car from NL, you should have white export plates that you got when you turned in the yellow ones? If you don't have white export plates, how did you get the car here? Did you drive here on the yellow ones, then hand carry them back to NL?

Romaniac