American trying for anything

Hi,
I am an American looking to move to Norway to be with my boyfriend. I have never left the US (walked to Canada, but that isn't the same) and only just recently got my passport. I am 21 and the only help I have in finding out what to apply for is my boyfriend. So as you can imagine I have been hitting walls left and right. I have no idea what to apply for as we do not want to marry since we are both young still. I have training in EMS and am getting a national certification currently so I have ben trying to find out information on Norway's emergency medical field.
I just have no idea who to contact to get these questions answered so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tusen takk!

Hi MKMac,
Your first step would be to have a look at udi.no/en
That's the immigration website for Norway and I'm sure a lot if not all your questions will be answered just by perusing the website. :D

Hi MKMac,

you don't need to be married to apply for a visa. There is the fiancee visa you could try. Just check with udi.no. I  also recommend to contact the Norwegian embassy in the States. They should be able to help and answer your questions.

On the professional side :
NOKUT (nokut.no) is the website for information on recognition of foreign education / certificates.  Try these links:
nokut.no/en/foreign-education/other-recognition-systems/authorisation/list-of-regulated-professions/
and sak.no.
You need to prove Norwegian language skills, if you want to work in the health profession (and many other professions). So I recommend to start learning Norwegian.  It is difficult (but not impossible) to get a job in Norway without speaking the language.

please bear in mind that the engagement permit is valid for 6 months, and u need to get married... and if you wont get married while this visa is valid, u will not be able to extend this kind of visa when it expires and u may have to leave norway/schengen..

you can try a "student visa", by studying additional courses... not much familiar with this tho..

i remember some years ago that they grant residence permits to people who are skilled worker and wants to study the Norwegian language.. but i found out this option is no longer available..

so for now, i guess ur only options for longer residence in norway will be a work permit or student visa.. or if u and ur bf had lived together for at least 2 yrs, u can get a residence visa for cohabitants..