Cost of living in Russia – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Russia in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Russia you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Russia?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Hello!

For start to live Moscow you should have enough money, for example for rent a flat you should have about 1,7k$. I will explain more clear.
If you want to rent an apartment (Living room, kitchen room and bath room) for a long time, more then 3 month, you should pay:
1. Monthly rent an appartment about 35000 rub (540$)
2. For the last month rent - 35000 rub (540$)
3. Agent fee - 35000rub (540$)
So at once you should pay 1620$.

Internet
If rent apartment has not internet access you should connect it. In general it free, but you should wait about one week, that is too long.
Monthly paying about 500 rub (7.7$).

Mobile telephone
If not a lot speaking - about 350rub (5.4$)

Energy prices:
When you rent an apartment you should pay only for Electricity and Water.
For two people per month it about 700rub  (10.7$)

Food prices
If cooking at home for two people i spend about  14000 rub per week or 215$.
I buy usually food in the nearest supermarket.

Public transportation fares
One ticket to metro (subway) - 50rub (0.77$)
One ticket to bus - 40rub (0.61$)

Coffee cost about 80rub
Beer - 100rub
Bread - 20rub
Chiken - 250 rub
Milk - 50 rub

Taksi from airport to the centre about 1700rub
Train from airport to the centre 450rub

These prices are a bit exaggurated.
Metro is about 22-25 a ride (1300 Ruble for 60 rides, 600 Ruble for,...........)
Bus is 25 Ruble (cards of 100 Ruble for 4 rides)
Mc Donalds is about 100 Ruble per sandwich.
Grabli is a Russian Chain restaurants which offers good and inexpansive food. for 400 Ruble you can have a soup, main dish and salad.

The price is correct, check by yourself on the web site http://mosmetro.ru/payment/tariff/  , http://www.mosgortrans.ru/passenger/fairs/

And what makes this site believable. Prices are now very high and rising in Moscow fot those paid in Rouble. Ensure your income here is currency and inflationery proof before accepting work here,

I am living here in Moscow. I don't need to check the website !
The problem is that in Moscow you need to be specialized in something.
There is plenty of labour for normal jobs and very tight competition.
Even Russians have a hard time to get a job. As a foreiner you need a well-paid job not just a job.
A room for Russians is 15000 Ruble per month. The same room is 25000-40000 for foreigners, depending on gues waht (your job, your clothing, the brand of your mobile phone, .....) and you have to pay 100% commision to agents ! Russians pay 30-50 % or sometimes Zero.
Moscow is a big city and just like any other big city in the world, it attracts many people, resulting in tight competition and hard life.

It makes sense to ensure the job provides you with a accommadation before you arrive. invitation and work permit would help also. New law, you must pass a Russian test to work in Russia.

I've lived in Kryme for a few years { retired} and the cost here is about 900- 1300 bucks  month depending on your flavor - competition with the east Ukraine refugees make finding a place harder, but I see places for 200- 400 easy.. My utilities is about 50-60 bucks, internet $12, cable$5, food/vino/piva $400. I had to move out at Xmas because my papers hadn't come to ovir office yet - Of course with the anti American propaganda - you have to watch yourself now. Spacibo

Cost of living in Russia (Moscow)
I am furbishing some details about the pricing here in Moscow  at the USD exchange rate on avg $1usd = 60Rubles (since I am residing in this town.)

Accomodation :
The rental prices have down due to increase in vacant real estate (my suggestion for expats, not to sign rental contract in USD or Euro. Insist only for Ruble payment)
Now on average a 2 rooms  (1bedroom) aprtment would range from 30,000 rubles - 45,000 rubles
and 3 rooms (2 bedrooms) would range from 45,000 rubles - 60,000 rubles depending on the location and condition of the flat.
Food:
Since most of the products are imported, the prices have increased 2 fold times (although local produces too has been increased). The price for groceries are much fairly priced in Auchan compared to other retailers. On an average it would cost 10,000rubles - 20,000 rubles for monthly groceries.
Transportation:
If you prefer the communal transport then it would cost around 1400 rubles - 3000 rubles (depends upon how much you travel)
Benzene/Petrol/Gasoline (however you call it) will cost you on avg of 5000 rubles - 15000 rubles with litre ranging from 32-39 rubles depending on the grade.

Mobile/internet services
Mobile services would cost on avg 500 rubles - 3000 rubles depending on the tariffs you choose and the internet will cost on avg of 600 rubles - 900 rubles.

Dining out for a people of four would cost around 5000 rubles - 15000 rubles .

So for an expat to live here in Moscow (Russia) it would cost on avg $1200 usd - $2000 usd
All these information are not taken in consideration for upscale elite lifestyle.

$2000 a month as stated above is pretty accurate for survival in Moscow, as long as you watch every rouble you spend. But how many expats want to come all the way to Moscow to live on a survival income. They'd be better of staying at home.

For those expats who are not provided flats from their companies, advise is required for those seeking to rent property in Moscow. For practical reasons location is important when renting a flat in Moscow. It's a buyers market now, so ensure you negotiate for a lower rent figure than what is advertised, and yes neqotiate in rouble, not dollars, Euro or pounds.

Good advice on seeking flats to rent in Rouble and have employment contract in $, so why are most of the housing advertisers here advertising in dollars, and not their local currency?

Its beacuse the local (rental) market is stagnant  or almost dead so now they wanted to milk the cow which can feed. I"ve already seen 3 crisis in Russia and when this happens they try to switch to $$$ imediately. That was fine in late 90's but every thing changed after 2000's. The Ruble became stronger and local people switched to rubles (even my previous apartment owner shifted from USD to Rubles in 2007) and most people never had savings in USD or Euros and now they wanted again shift to $.

I don't think it's legal to charge dollars publicly in Russia, especially public advertising. What can be privately agreed between two parties is a different matter. The legal currency is rouble in Russia, and you won't find dollar deals in hardcopy magazines or newspapers in Russia, and should also apply to the internet adverts, but somehow doesn't, especially adverts targetting expats.

Moscow

Hello Rehanm,

Can you please introduce yourself?

If you have any information concerning the above topic, please kindly share it..:)

Thank you
Yuveshen

If you are planning to move Russia for studying then you have to plan your budget as cost of living in Russia for students are bit high. Average Tuition Fee is US $2500. Internet Subscription per month is US $ 10 to US $ 15 and daily eating expense would be around US $ 5 to US $10.Utilities per month (Studio Apartment) US $150 and if you are planning to use Moscow Metro  then per  month smart card cost you US $ 65. Room Rent per month US $ 200 to US $ 2500 and if you want to live in a separate house in elite area then cost of it is $2500 per month

All this talk about Food, Now I'm getting hungry. Think I'll go eat something .
It sounds reasonable. I really want to visit Russia, Maybe by Train or by Car. I'm an old person and would like to spend some time traveling through Russia. Don't know if that's allowed, or how to go
about it. I've been to Belgorod on a short Visit, but a long story. Thanks for the price tips.  :)