Any Malaysians living in Thailand with some helpful advice?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to spend 6 months in Thailand in May. I have a place to stay but I can't seem to figure out what the best way in regards to visa.

I'll be on Koh Chang (close to Cambodian border). Every time I do a border run, it cost 1800 baht for only 15 days.

I want to apply for multiple entry tourist visa and I emailed the consulate here in Canada but no response yet.

Any tips, suggestions, stories of what you have done would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Lyn

Hello,

You should visit a Thai consulate in your country to get precise informations and forms to fill in, and not by email as they are always busy. Below are the rewuirements for Malaysian people with fees in local currency of the Royal Thai Embassy of Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. Hope this can help you. Best of luck

GENERAL REQUIREMENT :-

The following must be submitted:

Current Passport or Travel Document with validity not less than 6 months.
One completed and signed application form.
One photo (colour, size 4 x 6 cm) (Photostat or Photocopy is not acceptable). Photographs must have a blue or white color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
Processing fees:

Non-immigrant visa.....RM 220 single entry and RM 550 multiple entries.

BUSINESS, TEACHING, EDUCATION, MISSIONARY, RESEARCH, MASS MEDIA, OFFICIAL and DEPENDENT

RETIREMENT RM 220 (please, see retirement for person 50 years or over) (Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand.)

Tourist visa.................. RM 110 per entry

TOURIST and MEDICAL TREATMENT (please see list of required document (Maximum stay 60 day, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand.)

Transit visa................... RM 90 per entry TRANSIT and SPORTS (Maximum stay 30 days)

Important notice:

o        Applications are usually processed within 72 hours.

o         Visa must be activated or used within three months from the date of issuance.

o        Nationals of certain countries are required to apply for a visa only at the Thai Embassy or Consulate-General in their home / residence country or at the designated Thai Embassy. Therefore, travellers are advised to contact the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate-General to find out where they may apply for a visa to Thailand before departure. 

o        Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  The visa validity is a period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. Generally, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, we also issue visas valid for 6 months or 1 year. The validity of a visa is granted by the Embassy or Consulate-General and shown in the visa. The period of stay depends on the type of visa and is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa does not exceed 30 days, for a tourist visa does not exceed 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa does not exceed 90 days for the arrival date.

The closest consulate is 4 hours away from where I live in Canada. So I would like to avoid that trip unless I'm sure what I'm getting. Thanks for the info though!

What is the reason making you think you can not get the visa ?
Do you have 2 passports Malaysian and Canadian? Will you travel directly from canada to Thailand or stop in Malaysia?

I think I can get visa, but thinking was is the most affordable way. To re-enter each time from Malaysia is free but have to pay for travel in and out. Visa extension is 1900 baht every time. So I was hoping maybe another Malaysian who has been in the same situation can shed some light on how they have done it in the past. Any tips on pros and cons of both ways to do it.

evelynsloh wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to spend 6 months in Thailand in May. I have a place to stay but I can't seem to figure out what the best way in regards to visa.

I'll be on Koh Chang (close to Cambodian border). Every time I do a border run, it cost 1800 baht for only 15 days.

I want to apply for multiple entry tourist visa and I emailed the consulate here in Canada but no response yet.

Any tips, suggestions, stories of what you have done would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Lyn

Hi Lyn

What passport will you be travelling on?

Land Border crossings(Visa exempt) for Canadians(G7 country) are 30 days same for Malaysians entering from MALAYSIA.
However you mention Cambodia so 15 days by land entry on a Malaysian passport from Koh Chang.

Best alternate is multi entryt tourist visa as already mentiond by others. 2/3 enteries should be available whatever passport you hold.

Tourist(TR) visa entry is for 60 days which may be extended for another 30 days in Thailand at Thai Immigration(1900Baht). So a single entry can get you 90 days,  a double entry will just about get you 6 months(depends on dates) with one border run and two extensions. A triple entry is over kill IMO ;) but would serve your purpose without making extentions in Thailand.

The local Thai Immigration office is for Koh Chang/Trat is Laem Ngop.

Wow, thanks to kris nap at and thetefldon. I am travelling on Malaysian Passport (Malaysians are only allowed one, unfortunately.)

I'm so grateful for all your responses within the day. Makes me less overwhelmed than when I started today for sure.  I will obtain the triple entry tourist visa JUST IN CASE.

Now that I figured that out, I just have one more problem. They need me to provide travel itinerary which I haven't decided yet. I may go to Vietnam after Thailand or to Malaysia to visit family.

Will the embassy approve the application without a return trip/ flight out of the Kingdom?

Best to get a return ticket that that you can get a refund on the return leg if you do not use it.  That way you can get into the country, then cash it in and make your own travel arrangements to wherever.

evelynsloh wrote:

Wow, thanks to kris nap at and thetefldon. I am travelling on Malaysian Passport (Malaysians are only allowed one, unfortunately.)

I'm so grateful for all your responses within the day. Makes me less overwhelmed than when I started today for sure.  I will obtain the triple entry tourist visa JUST IN CASE.

Now that I figured that out, I just have one more problem. They need me to provide travel itinerary which I haven't decided yet. I may go to Vietnam after Thailand or to Malaysia to visit family.

Will the embassy approve the application without a return trip/ flight out of the Kingdom?

I don't think you will have an issue. However you could always buy a cheap oneway airline flight with someone like Air Asia that satisfies the visa requirements.

thetefldon wrote:
evelynsloh wrote:

I don't think you will have an issue. However you could always buy a cheap oneway airline flight with someone like Air Asia that satisfies the visa requirements.

Thanks that is a great idea.

stumpy wrote:

Best to get a return ticket that that you can get a refund on the return leg if you do not use it.  That way you can get into the country, then cash it in and make your own travel arrangements to wherever.

I've never heard of being able to cash in tickets. Do you know an airline that does that within SE Asian region?

Most airlines, except the cheap ones, have a refund policy. You just have to check with them about this. There is usually a cancellation fee.
Check Air Asia website and see what their policy is, or any of the many airlines which fly in and out of Asia.

You may be able to use the same airline that issued you the return ticket but change the travel date and destination. Again check up on this.

Hi Evelynsloh

I am a Malaysian staying in Thailand. Have stayed here for over 9 years already.  It is very strange but if you cross the  border via land from Burma or Cambodia, you can get only 15 days. But if you cross from Malaysia you get 30 days.

The best way to stay 6 months in Thailand is to apply for a 2 month multiple entry visa.  When your two months is up, you can go to any immigration in Thailand, get a stamp for 30 days and pay 1,900 baht.  (This rule also applies if you have a visa on arrival).  After your extended 30 days, you will need to go out of Thailand and re-enter using your multiple entry visa and if your visa has not expired, you will be granted another two months. Then you can repeat the process and hence you will have 6 months altogether.

judyksp wrote:

Hi Evelynsloh

I am a Malaysian staying in Thailand. Have stayed here for over 9 years already.  It is very strange but if you cross the  border via land from Burma or Cambodia, you can get only 15 days. But if you cross from Malaysia you get 30 days.

The best way to stay 6 months in Thailand is to apply for a 2 month multiple entry visa.  When your two months is up, you can go to any immigration in Thailand, get a stamp for 30 days and pay 1,900 baht.  (This rule also applies if you have a visa on arrival).  After your extended 30 days, you will need to go out of Thailand and re-enter using your multiple entry visa and if your visa has not expired, you will be granted another two months. Then you can repeat the process and hence you will have 6 months altogether.

Thank you, Judy! That is what I'm planning. If I decide to stay on longer, can I go back to KL and get another 6-month dual entry again since I'm Malaysian? Just hoping things might be a little easier since we are neighbours.

I'm so glad to here you are Malaysian living there. Are you permanent resident there?

Hi Evelynsloh

No, I am not a permanent residence here. I have a business visa as I have a small hotel here in Kanchanaburi.

And yes, you can always go back to KL and get another 2 month multiple entry visa. Are you here in Thailand on holiday or working?  If working, you have to get a business visa.