Cost of living in Belgium – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Belgium in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Belgium you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Belgium?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

How much does it cost to live in Belgium? antwerp

> accommodation prices 1000 euro (1 bed furnished)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) 90 euros  every 3 months for travel on buses and trams   

> food prices (your monthly budget) 350 per month

> energy prices (oil, electricity) 200 euros per month

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)  75 euros per month

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant 20 euros

> price for a coffee or a drink 4 euros

> price for cinema tickets 12 euros

Don't forget to mention in which city of Belgium you are living in. - Brussels

> accommodation prices - 950+ 150(maintenance)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) 100

> food prices (your monthly budget) 400-500

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity) 140

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) 40(only internet)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant 25

> price for a coffee or a drink 4

> price for cinema tickets 12

City: Leuven

> accommodation prices  - range between 350 (kot) to 500-600 euro (studio/1bed) (furnished)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) bus pass for students is 20 euro

> food prices (your monthly budget) around 300 euro

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) 33 euro/year for student health plan

> education prices (if you need to pay) 500 euro for foreign students much less for belgians

> energy prices (oil, electricity) included in most rental contracts

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) mobile = 15-20 euro/month
internet = free for most students with rental contract

> price for a coffee or a drink coffee range 2-4 euro drink range about the same 2 euro for small stella

Hi, I am a poor student here, so i have to cost down every thing i pay here, I have a baby sister job every weekends. and I seldom hang out with friends, but i often go to the park or library cause those things are free!!! :D

How much does it cost to live in Belgium? 550- 600 euro/ month

> accommodation prices 370 euro/ month

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) 49 eure/ month

> food prices (your monthly budget) 80 euro/ month

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) i have no health insurance

> education prices (if you need to pay) 200 euro/ semester

> energy prices (oil, electricity) included in the rent already

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) i use prepaid card, 20 euro, i can use almost 3 months

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant r, 6-12 euro for a lunch meal. 15 -20 euro for a dinner meal

> price for a coffee or a drink  3.80-5.20 for one buttle of beer

> price for cinema tickets 11 euro

City: Waterloo/ Brussels

> accommodation prices: house rent 3500 EUR

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) N/A - I use car

> food prices (your monthly budget) around 800 eur

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) N/A - I've got international private insurance

> energy prices (oil, electricity) around 250eur per month

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) mobile around 50 euro/month
internet Depends on your contract - voo is the only provider of fiber optic here (I know, very embarassing for a country with so many foreigners and pretending to be high tech but so far the worst experience I've had amongst all of the countries in Europe I've been living in past 15 years....) and it's about 80-90 eur per month
TV tax is about 100eur a year here in Waterloo

> price for a coffee or a drink coffee range 4eur per drink in the pub/ more than that in good restaurant

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant 25 per person ( if you wanna eat something better/ classier, it can end up very easily in the range of around 100eur per person or even more for a tasting menu, not counting drinks/ bottle of wine in)

Liège

> accommodation prices  600€ 2 bed appt.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) n/a

> food prices (your monthly budget) 400 € / 2 persons

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) 120€/year

> education prices (if you need to pay) 350€/semester Ulg

> energy prices (oil, electricity) gas + elec. 110€/month

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) 75€ for the 4 services

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant 30-100€

> price for a coffee or a drink 3-5€

Brussels

> accommodation prices  650€/mo. 1 bed appt.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) 850/year (partly paid by employer for one person)

> food prices (your monthly budget) 400€ / 2 persons

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) 160€/year

> education prices (if you need to pay) 120€/year

> energy prices (oil, electricity) gas + elec. 80€/month

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) 75€ for phone and internet (no tv/landline)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant 40-50€ for two persons

> price for a coffee or a drink 2-6€

Thank you all for your contribution. :)

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Hi.... everyone.I am a Nigerian , I have not live in Europe before precisely Belgium. just planning a masters programme soon in Leuven. Anybody with an idea of cost of living in Leuven should contact me.. [email protected]

sheyzman01 wrote:

Hi.... everyone.I am a Nigerian , I have not live in Europe before precisely Belgium. just planning a masters programme soon in Leuven. Anybody with an idea of cost of living in Leuven should contact me.. [email protected]

Welcome to the forum

Please read through the many posts in the category section to find the information. There is a category there for cost of living.  You can also try www.numbeo.com as well

HI all
Does any one know the cost of living fir a single person in Antwerp ?
With a net salary of 2000 Euros, can i save some money ?
Thanks in advance !

if you dont have an extravagant life style with 2000 euro a month you soold be able to do some nice saving ,ofcorse it al depend on how you live he ,be not to fast to rent look around carefully and it is better to rent privat instead of tru an imo agent,also were you do your shopping is inportand ,aldi is cheap compaired to other supermarkets and give good quality to the price of there products ,for meat i recomend "buurtslagers" there are also sufficiant halal butcherys for muslim needs and they have great quality products .further there african shops asian shops for ppl who have a craving for home meal so i hope this is useful info and wish you al the best
Dirk (an belgian expat living in The Philippines.)

Thanks for your quick reply.
I got a job offer in edegem antwerp.
The prices of accommodation that i have found is around 500 to 600 euros.
Do you know any cheap accommodation that you recommend near edegem please ?
Regards
Zied

you can save 800 euro per month

sorry i originate in east flanders so i have limmited knolidge of the antwerp region ,but it sounds resenebol price 500 to 600 euro is not to expensive and is in the lower rent price ,so go for it .if you are muslim ,inform your self in the mosk ,i'm sure you wil find help there ,this is advice my frend Aziz woold give ,he did the same and is living in europ for more than a few years now .
greets Dirk

Thanks Dirk for your quick answers.
I have one last question please: do you know please advantages/disadvantages of an expat offer ?
I got 2 offers : 1 as a belgian resident and 1 as an expat.
REgadrs
Zied

as belgian resident you wil have more benfits like healthcare wil be les expansive ,also administration wil be more easyer and am sure many more things that woold be to your advantige.so i woold go for that

Thanks Dirik for your quick feedback !
i got the same offer amount in brut and as you know, for expat contract the tax will be much more less.
After all calculation, i can see a difference of 500 euros (1900 euros if i got a belgian residence and 2400 if go for the expat offer).
Do you know please the disadvantages of an expat offer ?
Thanks in advance for your time.
Regards
Zied

it depends on wich long term plans you have with the expat offer on ending your job contrakt you wil have to leave Belgium ,with residence offer you can aplie for belgian nationality after a 5 year stay in the country (dubbel nationality is alowed)
maibe it woold be better to get information on this from other tunesians in belgium ,am sure they are easy to find .
as i say it al depends on your plans ,i dont know if you are maried but once you are working in belgium you have the possibility on family reunnion again i dont know if this go's as expat (dont think so)
:)

How much does it cost to live in Belgium? Brussels

> accommodation prices employer pays

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) 150

> food prices (your monthly budget) 500

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) employer pays

> education prices (if you need to pay) employer pays

> energy prices (oil, electricity) employer pays

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) 150

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant 25-100

> price for a coffee or a drink 4-7

> price for cinema tickets 50

Hi everybody...

Does anybody know more or less how much could be the average money needed to live in Ghent? I'll probably move there in December...

Regards.

to live in Gent if you watch out what and ware you rent and if you have a moderated life style you wil need minimum 1200 euro a month ,if you realy watch out were you buy food and other nesesarys even 1000 euro wil do
1 euro is about 52 php
i lived there a few yrs
rented a nice smal house and went shoping to aldi and other les expansive shops i had good internet (telenet ) with cable tv included
so if you have a job even on minimum wages your good for it
good luck in Belgium (i am belgian living in the Philippines )
greets Dirk