Indonesian just move to London looking for a job

hi
im indonesian woman just move to London. im looking for a job to start my new life. i already try to find a job door by door but still no call till now. i dont like to use agency to find a job. i have not much money so i need to find a job as soon as possible. any idea? thanks

Hello Yenni,

I commend you for being brave enough to make such A big change in your life by moving to London. It is difficult finding a job when you are under pressure from limited funds. My suggestion is too lower your expectations when you look for a job so that you can get income coming in. That means take any available job no matter how difficult. Once you have some money saved you can look for another job. Good look in your job search!

Robert

i accept anykind of job. i already give my job application door by door for any kind of shop. till now still no answer...

If you have a strong "Will" then you will find a job. Don't get down and give up, continue to look and you will find a job. I know that life is tough, I can tell by urgency of your post, but you have intelligence...use it!

Robert

i will never give up. thanks for your support. if you know something about job just info me. thanks lot

yenni sugiarto wrote:

hi
im indonesian woman just move to London. im looking for a job to start my new life. i already try to find a job door by door but still no call till now. i dont like to use agency to find a job. i have not much money so i need to find a job as soon as possible. any idea? thanks

hello Yeni
it is not an easy setuation i had the same experience before...but i believe you are brave enough to keep looking for a good job, i advise you to use an agency to find a job since you dont have that much money.....dont give up & good luck:)

Hello yenni sugiarto and welcome to Expat.com!

Have you tried to post an advert in the Jobs in London section? It could help. ;)

Articles = Work/Labor market in England.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie

Hi Yenni

Are you still looking for a job?

There are agencies that get foreign worker gangs and send them to factories and so on.
They don't tend to be fussy about little things like employment law but, unless you're married to a UK  passport holder or have special skill, you would probably be working illegally anyway.

It's not a good idea to do this as it would probably be illegal but worst case is a night in the calls and deportation.

What type of visa do you have and does it allow any legal work.
If it does, I can have a hunt around some old friends for you.
This would be easier if you're Chinese Indonesian.

i still looking for a job
in pure indonesian. my visa allow me to get anykind of work. but i ever got a job without contract, and its so hard

Hi yenni sugiarto,

Please feel free to post an advert in the Jobs in London section, this might be useful.

Good luck, :)

David.

Hi yenni .. salam kenal.
how's everything going?  Have you got a job yet?

Where do you live in UK?

Hi Yenny,

What kind of visa you use to live there without getting any job?

Hi... I wrote this post over than 2 years ago, in the beggining me n my husband came to London. i came with eea visa. I found a job that time in the end.

You've been in London quite a while, do you know if there are many Indonesians living there

Yes for sure... I just figure it out the last a year 😊

yenni sugiarto wrote:

I found a job that time in the end.

Excellent news - thanks for updating us. :)

How do you like English winters? been around 30 degrees in Jakarta most of the time.

There are boilers in every place, there are many kind equipment to warm your body. Just need to adapt your self and all will be okay

So what's the best way to meet up with fellow Indonesians in London

You could start here - well, several heres.

https://www.zomato.com/london/restauran … jgodJogAOg

If the places are any good, other Indonesians will be around,

We are communicate each other by Facebook, then become friendship so we organise by our own.

Hi, Yenni
Glad you were able to find a job after all, how long did it take you to find one? I intend to move near Birmingham in the fall and still trying to figure it all out( funds, paperworks etc).

Hi shenroe how are you
In the beggining me and my husband came here don't understand about the system here, we think like in italy. Here we apply a job by online. Since we figured it out this, after about some days I got a call for interview.
I don't know about the other area in the uk, but here in London there are a lot of job opportunities

Hi, thank you for your quick response. Ok I see, that might be why you got trouble finding a job in the beginning :) I know London has the most opportunities regarding jobs but it's so expensive, and I have a cat so I want to rent a place of my own. After few research it's was between Leeds and Birmingham and it's suburbs, who have good job opportunities too and less expensive than London. Oh Well, I wish you good luck for the rest of your journey in the UK cheers.

I know the living cost here is quite expensive, also the house renting is unbelievable 😣😣😣 i also heard from some friends that out of London is cheaper but i love the London atmosphere so i love to live here 😉 good luck shenroe

Thank you, you too.

The tube service is excellent, so distance from work is far less of an issue than in many other cities.
However, many of the towns are plagued by high crime rates, so pick your area carefully.

Yeah London is good and I never understand why expats only want to live in the centre. My sisters both lived in zone 4/5 and were able to find decent 2 bedrooms, the monthly tube pass was pricey but you could mix with buses.

But people tend to overrate London to no end though, like it´s the only good place in UK. Some cities are just as good if not better for certain points. Not everybody is made for London, and the high cost of living is a huge obstacle no matter what.

Anyway I don't  want to devert much longer from the original post :)

It depends where you are from. In London, you will always find people from your own country, communities/groups that you can be part of, and things that caters to all your needs. You might struggle in other cities, and feel like an outsider. You don't feel like a foreigner in London, but rather feel at home. I've never experienced racism in London, but do in other parts of the UK. So no, London isn't overrated, compared to the other cities I lived in. I have family members scattered across the UK, and they always look for an excuse to come down and visit whenever they can. If you move to other cities, then you will understand why London is viewed that way.

Meh, the french community is quite sizable where i want to go, Birmingham. And i don't really want to surrounded too much by french people lol. What do you mean by struggling? And do you have family in the Midlands too?
You right i never been outside London so maybe my judgment is clouded, but i surfed a little bit and read about London and others places, London has pros and cons just like any other big cities in UK.

That's why I said it depends where you're from. You're French/European so it doesn't matter where you go in the UK, you will fit in relatively easily. I thought you were Indonesian, and hence I said it might be a struggle in other cities (with little to no Indonesians). For those from non-EU nations, it can be different. Yes, I have family around the UK, including the Midlands.

Ah ok, i understand your point of view better now. Yeah some northern cities can be harsh for people not from EU ofc

shenroe wrote:

Ah ok, i understand your point of view better now. Yeah some northern cities can be harsh for people not from EU ofc

Have you decided where you want to settle? And your profile states you want to move to the USA? Have you changed your mind? Or you intend to come here for a short period of time then move there?

Hi, let's say i'm keeping my options open but short/mid term, England.

Hi fellow Indonesian.
me as well, looking for a job in London so I can move with my fiance there.
is there any kind of job for a muslim Indonesian like me?
in Jakarta I'm a university teacher at a private university.
I've tried to apply via LinkedIn but still get no answer.
I really appreciate for any kind of job information. thanks :)

miawmeaw wrote:

Hi fellow Indonesian.
me as well, looking for a job in London so I can move with my fiance there.
is there any kind of job for a muslim Indonesian like me?
in Jakarta I'm a university teacher at a private university.
I've tried to apply via LinkedIn but still get no answer.
I really appreciate for any kind of job information. thanks :)

Lots of people looking for work, not enough jobs.
Other issues could be:
Your Indonesian degree isn't recognised in the UK.
You don't have/can't get enough points

https://www.migrationexpert.co.uk/work_ … eral_visa/

As for religion - should be no issue at all.

Religion IS an issue. Lets call a spade a spade. Anyway miawmeaw - If your name is Western-sounding, you  don't dress conservatively, and happy to partake in things like drinking and so on, your prospects are increased ten-fold.

XB23 wrote:

Religion IS an issue. Lets call a spade a spade. Anyway miawmeaw - If your name is Western-sounding, you  don't dress conservatively, and happy to partake in things like drinking and so on, your prospects are increased ten-fold.

No , it  isn't (except for a few nut jobs who hold the silly idea some people are of less value because of race or religion).
In UK law, people are protected from such daft ideas.

There is no compulsion to dress in a fashion you don't feel comfortable in, and you absolutely don't have to drink alcohol.
Assuming you dress in the clothes that are normal in Indonesia, there is no problem at all as the foolish types won't notice the difference.
A tiny minority of twits will dislike you if you wear a headscarf, but you can simply ignore them.

Having made that (and my opinion of racism) very clear, there are idiots in every country who think hate is a good thing, and you might meet the odd one, but fools are everywhere, and my advice would be to ignore them.

thanks for your opinion :)
I'm wearing a headscarf but it is not like those conservative muslim people wear.
I've been to UK this March, and saw a lot of muslim girl in London who wear headscarf.
anyway. I know it's not that easy to find a job there and ask for sponsorship for working visa, but will it be easier if I have a visa for a spouse and apply job there?

Yes it is an issue. Fred, you're English, so you wouldn't of experienced it. It doesn't matter what the laws are, an employer can choose who they want to hire (of course they won't mention the real reason behind declining an application), and people do get turned down simply for their background/name, and unwillingness to "fit in" and adopt the culture. You're not forced to drink, but expected to take part in such activities, as well other things that may contradict your beliefs. Believe me, you will quickly get disliked and viewed as a nutter if you refuse to partake in things that you otherwise wouldn't normally do. Unless you're willing to sacrifice for the sake of your job, then you wouldn't get that far. Some people put to one side their religion, just to satisfy their boss (so for example, they wouldn't ask for a Jumu'ah/Friday break etc), fearing it may effect their position, and for good reasons.