New Rules Healthcare

Important

an interesting and VERY important snippet
Recent changes in healthcare rules which can have an impact on healthcare cover for UK Nationals living abroad = all good
comes into force april 2015
it was finally agreed last week, to come into force on 6 April this year.
The changes basically enable our pensioner ex-pats living in Europe to come back to the UK and use the NHS as if they were still living here. This is relevant to those in receipt of a UK state pension, living in another EU country who have their healthcare paid for by the UK by means of an S1 registered with the health system of the country they are living in. I'm hoping this applies to you?
With this law change, the Government will be extending the right to return for all NHS treatment, including planned/elective, to this group of citizens. As I say, this change will become effective from 6 April 2015 and effectively means that ex-pat UK state pensioners living in the EEA have the same rights to NHS services as people resident in the UK, and without the need to obtain any kind of authorisation from their country of residence.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- … o-nhs-care

Blimey, what's happening to the UK? Something positive for expat pensioners.

"I don't believe it"

Terry

All good news but as i said on another group, I'm not cynical BUT strange how things come up in Election year - but still good

Les

Hi don't know if anybody can help me..how do I put my children's name down for appointments at the hospital dentist?we have been private and my eldest has to have a bit of work done and also a brace which I think will cost a small fortune!ive heard we can get this done free through the hospital?does the private dentist have to refer her or do I have to contact them?thanks😊

One thought has crossed my mind but would need testing i guess.
The way the EHIC card has worked in the past when a EEA visitor falls ill in a EEA country the treatment was free with an EHIC card (providing they are not resident in another country) but what actually happens is the money is recouped from the resident country - i know cause I've had the problem of filling in forms at work (NHS) for an EEA visitor. As far as the patient is aware he or she does not get charged themselves.

If you take the new regulations to the letter then maybe if you are a UK pensioner resident in an EEA country and fall ill in the EEA you should not have to pay, whether its in the UK or not.

Just a thought is it just extending reciprocal agreements, if so then its even better news.

As usual its not clear in the regulations and its open to be tested.

Just as a note, the law is really odd as it is e.g.: if you live in the UK and go to an EEA country and take your EHIC card with you, you break a leg, your entitled to have surgery to fix it and all relevant care BUT if you need crutches then you have to pay for them, very strange, wonder how the new regs will affect that?

Fiona dean wrote:

Hi don't know if anybody can help me..how do I put my children's name down for appointments at the hospital dentist?we have been private and my eldest has to have a bit of work done and also a brace which I think will cost a small fortune!ive heard we can get this done free through the hospital?does the private dentist have to refer her or do I have to contact them?thanks😊

For a routine check up you have to go to the dental department at the hospital and put her name down. For the braces you can either wait for a routine appointment at the hospital (18 months+) or get a referral from the private dentist, which will be quicker.

Thankyou so much I will do that👍

coxf0001 wrote:
Fiona dean wrote:

For a routine check up you have to go to the dental department at the hospital and put her name down. For the braces you can either wait for a routine appointment at the hospital (18 months+) or get a referral from the private dentist, which will be quicker.

Hi cox, Just want to pick your Brain have you a particular dentist you go to in Malta, i have been to The dentist in Sliema ( I think it's kevin Camilleri ) with my son previously and paid privately for his treatment,  I now need to go with my daughter whom I'm sure will need braces, I will need to get this done at hospital due to the high cost, so need a referral , but feel a bit bad asking a private dentist to refer me as don't want them to be offended ( it's how they name a living after all)
Any advice would be great

Thanks

Kelly

Izzybenjaz wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:
Fiona dean wrote:

Hi cox, Just want to pick your Brain have you a particular dentist you go to in Malta, i have been to The dentist in Sliema ( I think it's kevin Camilleri ) with my son previously and paid privately for his treatment,  I now need to go with my daughter whom I'm sure will need braces, I will need to get this done at hospital due to the high cost, so need a referral , but feel a bit bad asking a private dentist to refer me as don't want them to be offended ( it's how they name a living after all)
Any advice would be great

Thanks

Kelly

Hi Kelly, I have pm'd you with some info.

As a rule, it is fine to ask for a referral for the hospital.