Info on Dorado

Hi everyone. I am moving to PR from Maine this summer (originally from North Carolina). Very open minded about the new move. I am looking to rent a home and very interested in the Dorado area. My budget is about 2k a month. Any good info from some of you who live in the area. I stayed in the embassy suites there on a visit a couple weeks ago. I noticed the golf course there has closed. Seems like some of the planned developments in the area have kind of fallen off. I'm guessing due to the economy.  Any recommendations for areas / neighborhoods to stay away from or to really look for.  We hope to find a single family home at least 3 br, hopefully 4 and really hoping for a pool. Oh and we have 2 dogs, hopefully that won't make it hard to find a rental

Thanks

Welcome, Coastie743~  Are you both retired as it is difficult to sometimes find employment.  I don't know much about the Dorado area but someone will come along and chime in.

I am moving there for work so that part is covered thank goodness!

Hi Coastie743:

Are you PCSing here?  My wife is AD Coast Guard.   We're half-way through our tour here and received many helpful tips from members on the forum.

Best of luck with your research and feel free to PM me if you need any military specific resources.

Yes I am. Hoping to get a release from housing but have to see how that goes.

Are you able to come down here and check things out before your PCS?  That way you can get an idea of traffic, commute times, neighborhoods, etc.  It's REALLY difficult to do online.  We originally lived in Old San Juan but moved into housing when things didn't work out (you can read some of my earlier posts). 

I just wrote an article for the sector on living on the economy for their updated Helpful Hints document - I'd be happy to send it to you if you'd like.

That would be great. I'll PM you my email.  We were there about 2 weeks ago. Really like the Dorado area. Just didn't get a chance to get into all the smaller neighborhoods.

Sorry - I missed that in your original post.  I'd be happy to help in any way I can.