Taoism

Hello to all:

My screen name is Raze ready, meaning that Ray is ready to become an expat and relocate to somewhere on a permanent basis.  Mostly for financial reasons the cost of living here in the US is forcing people out.  However I would also like to live in a country to have a  new cultural experience and a completely different lifestyle. 

Being a philosophical person It would be most educational and enlightening to experience the Tao by an enlightened master if one can be found.
Are there teachers of Taoism in or near Nha Trang?  If so how does one seek them out?

Raze ready wrote:

Hello to all:

My screen name is Raze ready, meaning that Ray's ready to become an expat and relocate to somewhere on a permanent basis.  Mostly for financial reasons the cost of living here in the US is forcing people out.  However I would also like to live in a country to have a  new cultural experience and a completely different lifestyle. 

Being a philosophical person It would be most educational and enlightening to experience the Tao by an enlightened master if one can be found.
Are there teachers of Taoism in or near Nha Trang?  If so how does one seek them out?

As a monk in Nha Trang once explained to me, "Buddhism in Vietnam is a triple religion, made up of Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism."
This site has some interesting info:
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Buddhism_vs_Taoism

Also, Cao Dai is a syncretic religion, with several branches including for Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. Followers may chose which branch they wish to follow.

I suggest you contact either or Buddhist or Cao Dai monk or nun.

Thank you so very much.  I will look into this, it is much appreciated.  First I need to focus on getting relocated to Vietnam then settle in.  Now I have the inspiration to do that.

Ray

Daoism was more prevalent in the North in late dynastic times than Buddhism. But the South was always Buddhist, to include Theravada among the Khmer Krom, if you ignore the minority Hindus and Muslims. The majority of Chinese in Vietnam are Confucians. As late at the 1950s they were running their own school systems where their children studied the classics and received a confucian education that included Daoism. If you are looking for instruction in Daoism thought and practice, a Chinese temple may be the best place to start. As pointed out by others, Daoist practices and beliefs are entwined in Vietnamese folk religion and lay Buddhism. I'd start at any historical Chinese Association temple, perhaps in Cholon, by visiting and asking questions. I've always found them eager to explain their temples to foreigners. Understand that the term "Chinese" in Vietnam is applied to people who've been here since the Ming dynasty, give or take a few decades of occasional exile over the centuries, as well as Chinese right off the boat. You might find someone who can refer you to a Daoist Association or a known Daoist scholar and practitioner.

Thank you for your input and advice.  It is beginning to appear that this blog could very well be my beginning on the path to the Tao (the Way).  I think I could also be interested in looking into Confucianism after all Confucius was not only a genius he was also enlightened.

I am not so sure that I think of either of these as a religion as much as a philosophy of life, of course those two things are intertwined. I may also look into Cao Dai, I very much like the concept of all religions being one and the same, that would probably reduce war on this planet by at least 50%.

Thanks again from a path seeker
Ray