Quesions about Costa Rica

So Edward1958, would you please be kind enough to expand on your comment in your 12 February 2015 post that someone needs to stress "you are a Canadian and not a gringo" when they get down here to CR?   and further, that it is "very important to do so".   I am not clear what your really trying to say in that post.  Is this a Canadian club issue or are you saying the Ticos distinguish between Yanks and Canadians?  If so, please clue me in as to how and why.  thanks.  gary

Thank you!  sorry to be so dense on these tech things.    Anyway, I just moved to Costa Rica after a couple prior visits.  I started off in San Pedro, and now in Santana.  What is most amazing here are all the micro climates that exist.  walk a mile and one can lower or raise their ambient temperature by 10*.   To paraphrase Andre Agassi "altitude is everything".

I come from Albuquerque New Mexico.  I am learning Espanol, although I absorbed quite a few words in Spanish growing up in NM.  The sound of spanish is different here.  softer and more fluid.  Enough of a problem that hearing the words is a big problem for me.  I can get my needs or question across but am clueless listening to a reply.  lol.   not a good thing.

I would like to hear the experience of those who have been here awhile, on buying / leasing cars.   I don't need one.  Santana is foot friendly because it is small. But I find I want to go to many parts of the metro area frequently, so am definitely leaning to getting one.  I would like to lease a year at a time, just to permit me a smaller window of commitment.   Any suggestions???    thanks in advance.  Ciao, as the locals say.

Edward.  I am already in Costa Rica.  I have been for several months.  I have also watched that video before, along with several other videos by those two guys and a few other individuals on other sites.  There is some truth in it, but honestly, I know some loud and obnoxious Canadians too!!   
Maybe it is just me but I have not noticed any discriminatory conduct toward me when Tico's find out I am from the USA.    Most  are very gracious and helpful.   I have noticed a fair number of Tico's are not thrilled by my minimal Espanol.   I can't blame them.   It is a little arrogant to move here and not already speak conversational Spanish.  However, I can ask questions in New Mexican Spanish, but I can't understand  a word of their answers.  The Spanish here is softer and more fluid than the version spoken in New Mexico.   It seems to take a practiced ear to distinguish the words given the speed at which many locals converse. 
To be honest, I do find your comments arrogant, stereotypical and condescending .   Perhaps you could try t being a little more helpful and a little less smug about your exalted status here?   Que no?

Hi Sporto,

If you are Canadian, and if you speak Spanish, and when a Tico has come to trust you, they will reveal that they find American's much bolder and more exploitive than Canadians.  Not all American's of course.  As Michael and D'Angelo say in their video "American's have a reputation for being the loud mouths in a crowd".. LOL  I didn't say it, they said it in the video, and they are also Americans.  My wife and I went to a Tico barbacue (our guards family).  Tico's are very family oriented, and were shocked that two foreigners had shown up.  Our guard notified his relatives that we were Canadian's "and they all rejoiced" and shook our hands.  Need I say more?  The last thing I'd like to say is... that the American's I know in Costa Rica are all very nice people. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k9WObrEOzI

Thank you for the explanation.  I hope in my small way to help reverse the universal reputation that exists of my compatriots.

American's will now be vacationing in Cuba, now that Obama is befriending Fidel, just wait until the Cuban's get a taste of young male American tourists, they are so accustom to the meek and mild Canadian tourists for the past four decades.

Edward, you generalize so much it is embarrassing to be a fellow Canadian.  Perhaps you should start your own Nationality?  Please don't link it to Canadian. I already apologized  to Sporto505 on behalf of Canada!

LOL.  whoooo!   I hope you don't see this guy regularly !  He may not be so happy to see you next time.   lol   if you find yourselves coming to my neighborhood, please text or call me at .............   I thought this was a private message.   I send you my number separately.     I would love to buy you two dinner and learn the finer arts of modesty and tranquility.   Being Canadian, that must be part of the definition.  Just ask Ed!!  lol.   sorry, if this is overboard.   i'm on my third glass of vino.   but I am serious about dinner. I'll send you my number.     Mucho gracias amigos.    Sporto

ps.  well apparently I am too stupid to figure out how to send you two a private message.   Please email me at [email protected].    thanks.   sporto

Hi TerryN

If you want to criticize the experts there is not much I can say.
youtube.com/watch?v=1k9WObrEOzI

Best of luck to you Sporto, I know that all American's are not the same as indicated in the video.
youtube.com/watch?v=1k9WObrEOzI

Hi Fil.  I am guessing someone in Atenas has already told you this, but if not there is a group of expats who meet every Friday afternoon at 2:00pm at a small bar called .........., in the mercedes barrio, just on the outskirts of Atenas.  great group of people from all over.   they hook up a download of all their own preferred tunes , mostly classic rock & roll. so you get great music in addition to good conversation.   Sorry I can't recall the name of the bar.  but if you visit the blog called Mi Chunche or something very similiar to that, you can read and find the name of the bar.

Hello everyone,

@sporto505,

I started a new topic with all your posts on the Costa Rica forum.

Thank you.